+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PIG abatoir to close today

Quote Originally Posted by FatherKnowsBest View Post
    I get that if we were talking buying fleets of snowploughs, but it would seem silly to build a railway track that was only fit for use in 90% of typical weather conditions.
    I'm not sure that's the case, though. I'm sceptical that the railway tracks aren't fit for use for a full 36.5 days of the year. Network Rail have advised speed restrictions, not a complete shut-down of the tracks.

Without knowing the full details, maybe it's the case that in hotter countries the trains run more slowly in the heat, or perhaps they use a different alloy for the tracks that make them less susceptible to buckling. I certainly don't think it's as sensational an issue as you and the tabloid press seem to think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by BlockD View Post
    I’m sure you will find a way to blame Margaret or Joe Root for all 3,ferk it let trains carry on running at normal speed,it’s not like the heat has any effect on the rails is it?
    OOOer Mrs calm darn dear,i see further darn you're agreein wi me(post 6).It's you Benny that keeps mentionin the witch Thatcher not me,i couldn't stand the git when she was alive but i let her rest nar cos she can't do any damage to me where she is.The only time i have a dig at Rooty is when it's warranted like the first test of this summer or the debacle in Oz,when we won the 2nd test this summer i gave him and the side plenty of cerdit so theer ya plank. UTCB

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe_diem View Post
    I'm not sure that's the case, though. I'm sceptical that the railway tracks aren't fit for use for a full 36.5 days of the year. Network Rail have advised speed restrictions, not a complete shut-down of the tracks.

Without knowing the full details, maybe it's the case that in hotter countries the trains run more slowly in the heat, or perhaps they use a different alloy for the tracks that make them less susceptible to buckling. I certainly don't think it's as sensational an issue as you and the tabloid press seem to think it is.
    Nice use of the decimal point there CD..!

Actually after doing a few minutes ceaseless searching, it appears that the problem is in the ballast more than the rails. If we, in the UK used fixed concrete bases for the rails, then it wouldn't be a problem (a la TGV, or the Supertram), but we don't. We still use ballast and that moves in the heat, and allows the rails and sleepers to move in the heat, and that is why we have to slow down. It is a cheaper method, but ultimately isn't as reliable in the extremes as fixed concrete rail beds. Learn something new every day!

Quote Originally Posted by FatherKnowsBest View Post
    Nice use of the decimal point there CD..!

Actually after doing a few minutes ceaseless searching, it appears that the problem is in the ballast more than the rails. If we, in the UK used fixed concrete bases for the rails, then it wouldn't be a problem (a la TGV, or the Supertram), but we don't. We still use ballast and that moves in the heat, and allows the rails and sleepers to move in the heat, and that is why we have to slow down. It is a cheaper method, but ultimately isn't as reliable in the extremes as fixed concrete rail beds. Learn something new every day!
    Weirdest thing I learnt today Hitler's brother lived in Liverpool and Adolf visited him in between the world wars #randomfact

Have to agree on the git Rod

I’ll blame Margaret if Rod doesn’t Block D

Quote Originally Posted by charliejoejohn2 View Post
    I’ll blame Margaret if Rod doesn’t Block D
    Saint Margaret Hilda please Charlie.

King Arthur always gets his full title...... it's just politeness.

Quote Originally Posted by Holden_C View Post
    Saint Margaret Hilda please Charlie.

King Arthur always gets his full title...... it's just politeness.
    Only from you ten bob Tory wannabe's Marvin. UTCB

Can’t compare them Holden. One told the truth about what was happening the other just told lie after lie. I was what you’d call ITK with being involved.

Quote Originally Posted by charliejoejohn2 View Post
    Can’t compare them Holden. One told the truth about what was happening the other just told lie after lie. I was what you’d call ITK with being involved.
    No no no Charlie tha wrong, Marvin and his chuckle bro know far more abart the Strike than thee and me put together.Marvin knows cos he saw it on a documentary once and BlockmodBenny has all sorts of weird things goin on his head. UTCB

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast