+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul Warne

Quote Originally Posted by Wellies View Post
    More homage to the usefulness of Wellington boots when tending to livestock.

I was okay with slogging it out of League One, then I saw Ipswich and Plymouth last year and I thought, I'd sooner see us going up playing football and then having something to keep us up when we get there.

I hope you're right that he'll get us up atm, I can't see we'll have the legs, luck or smarts to do it. Maybe via the lottery of the playoffs, but Warne seems to run his teams into the ground well before then. Maybe he's not playing long ball enough with us, and just trying to pass to the wings and then hoof, to keep the fans off his back
    There are more important things than 'playing football' (I hate that phrase by the way, there are lots of ways to play). Many previously more successful clubs (not saying 'bigger' cus I don't like that either) have come down and thought they'd ease their way out of the league passing it around and dribbling past defenders with ease. It just doesn't work like that and an ambition to 'play football' or 'play the right way' can go alongside complacency. You're in League One for a reason.

You have to look deeper - are you playing as a team, are you organised, is the man management good. I've not seen Derby recently but the bigger signs of success are - do you make chances regularly, are you organised at the back and limit individual mistakes, are you putting the graft in. If you meet those three you're a good shout for promotion.

Why aren't Derby making more of an effort to get Smith from Wednesday? Ideal for third division, especially after seeing your game with Peterborough, and noticing the pitch turning into the Baseball Ground.

When was the last time a L1 club got promoted playing like Man City?

Percentage football. Do it consistently well you'll get promoted simples

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    You sound like a very familiar poster on here...........zzzzzzzzzzz
    Yeah I think I know who you mean…!.

3 promotions from league 1 at the first attempt, from a novice manager, so he was obviously doing something right.
    Do you want promotion or nice tippy tappy football in league 1 for another season ?
    The reason Warne was given the job was because of the above, I suspect if you don't get promotion this season he will be toast, obviously not good enough for a "Massive " club like Derby.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellies View Post

I was okay with slogging it out of League One, then I saw Ipswich and Plymouth last year and I thought, I'd sooner see us going up playing football and then having something to keep us up when we get there.
    Good point made.
    Although they take an age to get back Some teams like Bolton, Portsmouth, Oxford and as you say Plymouth and Ipswich are much better equipped for the rigours of the cship. They can already play the passing game and have players comfortable in possession. Add 2/3 decent loans and they tend to have a decent season.
    I don’t think Plymouth have won an away game still but they’re comfortable and aren’t in danger

Hope the cows are ok IBS

Wednesday are reluctant to let strikers they don't play, go out on loan.

Thanks for the input lads, I guess Warne inherited a team set up for tippy tappy. Definitely missing a few players, to play how he would like. He just seems very good at ragging the 5hite out of a car in 2nd, when sometimes slipping it into 3rd might be a bit easier.

All fans agree he's a top bloke, mind. Anyway hopefully see you in the Champ next year and we can have a grand olde hoof fest.

More likely in league 1 after Warnes traditional fatigue fall off. In saying thathes not bad in play offs, think that will be your best bet. Decent record at wembers as well.

Moved into the top 2 after an away win at Charlton today.

Warnes football is suitable for league 1 but it doesn't get you much further than that TBH. He'll never be successful in the championship IMO and I was glad at the time when he left because I thought he couldn't take us any further with his style of play but we haven't seemed to move forward ourselves that much sinced he left which is a bit disappointing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast