+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT Happy St George's Day

re: OT Happy St George's Day

I have 2 brothers. My eldest brother is called Patrick because he was born on Saint Patrick's day.

The next brother is called George - it's his birthday today. Saint George's day.

Yours sincerely

Pancake

p.s It really is my brother's (Mark) birthday today so I will be celebrating anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by tony260674
    In this strange modern culture when so many English people seem to enjoy dressing up in green hats and supping guinness for Paddy's day, I thought I'd wish everyone a Happy St George's Day.

Proud to be English and Proud to be a Miller.

Good health to all.
    Dean, I am a very proud Englishman, Yorkshireman and Brit but I really can't subscribe to this St Georges day nonsense.
    As a symbol of being english it really is poor. St George is an amalgam of at least 2 people from the third century none of whom were actually called George and none of whom had ever heard of England never mind stepped foot on its soil.
    To celebrate England and being english we should at least celebrate people who were english. Shakespeare/Churchill/Brunel/Lennon even Eddie the Eagle. St George is also celeb

Quote Originally Posted by stormmiller
    In this strange modern culture when so many English people seem to enjoy dressing up in green hats and supping guinness for Paddy's day, I thought I'd wish everyone a Happy St George's Day.

Good health to all.
    Dean, I am a very proud Englishman, Yorkshireman and Brit but I really can't subscribe to this St Georges day nonsense.
    As a symbol of being english it really is poor. St George is an amalgam of at least 2 people from the third century none of whom were actually called George and none of whom had ever heard of England never mind stepped foot on its soil.
    To celebrate England and being english we should at least celebrate people who were english. Shakespeare/Churchill/Brunel/Len

I personally don't see what all the fuss is about with regards patriotism, am I meant to be proud that I was born on this bit of soil instead of another bit of soil? Do international boundaries mean that much to you? I find it only good for one thing and that's for sporting rivalries which (if they are indeed sporting and not thuggish and hate breeding) are great fun.

Nationalism and Patriotism divide people at a very base level and while I am thankful I was born here, I don't believe my country is better than other peoples countries. It's just a bit of land, who the hell cares? What exactly can any of us take pride in? Shakespeare? Churchill? We have no right to lay claim to their achievements just because we share a country, we didn't do what they did, did we? That wasn't us was it?

Quote Originally Posted by deano_83

Good health to all.
    And to you and all other Millers Deano.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeldc
    I personally don't see what all the fuss is about with regards patriotism, am I meant to be proud that I was born on this bit of soil instead of another bit of soil? Do international boundaries mean that much to you? I find it only good for one thing and that's for sporting rivalries which (if they are indeed sporting and not thuggish and hate breeding) are great fun.

Nationalism and Patriotism divide people at a very base level and while I am thankful I was born here, I don't believe my country is better than other peoples countries. It's just a bit of land, who the hell cares? What exactly can any of us take pride in? Shakespeare? Churchill? We have no right to lay claim to their achievements just because we share a country, we didn't do what they did, did we? That wasn't us was it?

Me Michael it matters to me ..I'm English and proud .

I'm well travelled especially with the national team watching the footy as a lot know.

I've had the experience of meeting some amazing people in amazing places, and some not so fortunate. I love going abroad but equally can't wait to come home, the old saying it's where the heart is, is bang on the money.

What makes me proud, and like Magyar says, is not all the stuff behind the St George myth, it's the fact I take the time on this day to think how fortunate I am to have such good friends and family, and that there's no place like home.

Quote Originally Posted by miller1964
    Me Michael it matters to me ..I'm English and proud .
    Can I ask why?

The fact that you can ask is one reason.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast