+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Romared Match Thoughts Barnsley v Tranmere Rovers

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    The draw for the second round tonight. The 12 Premier League clubs not in Europe are in the draw, the other 8 enter in the Third Round.

Barnsley-v-Chelsea or Barnsley-v-Everton could have been a nice little earner. The club is skint.

The club clearly not interested last night so why should the fans ? The club's attitude to this professional competitive game of "We can't be arsed" should have been made clear beforehand to the 4343 fans who attended before their money was taken from them.
    Correct SB.

I was very disappointed when I saw the starting line up last night. Meks thi wonder why we even entered the competition in the first place.

I hope Tranmere get Chelsea and have a bumper crowd, get on Sky and maybe make upwards of 400k

Disappointing.

Another early exit from a cup competition.

P2 W1 L1

A good run out for the young lads in opinion far better than the academy league. We need to do the same in the next cup competition in which we continue to pacify the Premier Leagues U21s.

Agree with Collins on this one:
    People have kept telling me the priority since have been here... If we’re playing Bristol Rovers, Peterboro' and Oxford next week and we’ve only got Jon Russell, Herbie Kane + Calum Styles as fit midfielders, it would be naive of me to play them over some good young players"

Problem is our FIRST team squad is too small.

Of course we all know why.

I totally agree that the extra money by progressing to the next round should be something that the club have to consider .

However that's for the CEO to worry about and should be of no concern to the HC .

The powers that be have decided in their infinite wisdom to separate such matters from the HC whose only responsibility is to the performance of his players he's given and how best to get us out of this league .

If Collins believes that the best way to achieve that is by not risking a number of players last night then that's his call and I'll respect that .

The day the CEO pokes his nose inside a strategy meeting between the coaching staff would be a sorry day .

That's the way you want to run this club so it is what it is , it wasn't the HC who have put us in this financial position and you'll sack him soon enough if the league form isn't good enough .

The extra Preliminary Rounds of the FA Cup are underway.

416 clubs from the lowest ranked Level 8 and clubs from Levels 9 and 10 are taking part including a replay, Pen1stone Church (Level 9) -v-City of Liverpool (Level 8) tonight..
    From then on, on various dates, a further 64 enter from Level 8, 88 from Level 7, 48 from Level 6 (National League North and South) and 24 from the National League (Level 5) for the Final Qualifying Round on 14th Oct

Barnsley are one of 48 teams entering from Levels 3 and 4 0n Saturday 4th November.

I hope we will respect all the games that have gone before us and enter a strong team if drawn against a club from Levels 4 and below in the FA Cup.

There's nothing I'd like better than to return to the days when domestic cup competitions were treated with the same respect as the league campaign .

I remember only too well as many other posters do the great league cup run of 1981/82 and without looking it up I reckon we fielded exactly the same team in round one against Peterborough over two legs as we did in the quarter final against Liverpool barring injuries .

Those days are gone and they aren't returning anyone more than the Texaco or Watney Cups aren't returning .

All you can do is deal with reality and the £10 admission cost last night is reflective of the offerings likely to be on display .

If my names Mr Collins with the bench I had to play with last Saturday then I'm risking nobody , I wouldn't have played Kane , Russell or Williams either .

When the squad starts to come towards me hopefully before the FA cup campaign begins then I'll upgrade my starting eleven .

If a good League Cup run can guarantee me keeping my job whilst my team is 19th in league one in October I'll give that some consideration too .

Our CEO may well be thinking other things that will be bringing in income.
    Name:  IMG_8027.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  18.7 KB

Rumour doing the rounds £5m with a 20% future interest to us.
    Last edited by POGGYWELL; 09-08-2023 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by POGGYWELL View Post
    Our CEO may well be thinking other things that will be bringing in income.
    Name:  IMG_8027.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  18.7 KB

Rumour doing the rounds £5m with a 20% future interest to us.
    Remember it is 20% of the PROFIT Stoke make on the deal, not 20% of the fee.

I cannot recall what Stoke paid us for Brown--probably undisclosed.

Most fee payments are phased nowadays so don't expect a big lump sum arriving in BCF Club Accounts to spend, as Nudger would claim, on a £800K player.

It was fashionable at the time for our CEO to write the words, "We retain an interest in the player" to soften the blow. Apparently no such words appeared after the Brown transfer but that could have been an oversight.

Every little helps when you are skint. After ratcheting down to sign Level 5 non league players this season the next step are the Food Banks of Levels 6 to 8 of the pyramid.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 09-08-2023 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Remember it is 20% of the PROFIT Stoke make on the deal, not 20% of the fee.

I cannot recall what Stoke paid us for Brown--probably undisclosed.

Most fee payments are phased nowadays so don't expect a big lump sum arriving in BCF Club Accounts to spend, as Nudger would claim, on a £800K player.

It was fashionable at the time for our CEO to write the words, "We retain an interest in the player" to soften the blow. Apparently no such words appeared after the Brown transfer but that could have been an oversight.

Every little helps when you are skint. After ratcheting down to sign non league players this season the next step are the Food Banks of Levels 6 to 8 of the pyramid.
    I believe Stoke paid us £2m so we'd receive 20% of the profit of £3m .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast