+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: fa youth cup

re: fa youth cup

Is there no such thing as bad publicity and I'm the one that is accused of hi jacking every thread with the academy!

Sorry, didn't go and so can't comment but really pleased for the lads to have done so well. I will try and get to see one or two games when the weather permits though.

Thanks AL for your comments. I would reciprocate those towards your good self and many others on this board that although we can disagree on some things, its done in a good and fair spirit and imo for a football discussion board, its a very high standard compared with most. And why I enjoy reading it most days.

Who was it we played last night and what round was it?

The match last night was against York, Mike.

We now play Fulham at home in the next round who were last year's beaten finalists.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLeicester
    I'd cut MikeSB some slack on this. I may disagree fundamentally with him on some issues, but he strikes me as being a true, honest and dedicated Alex fan.

I am really pleased for the Youth/U18 team. It must be great to be on a winning streak, especially after the success of the U21s last season.
    This all-round, all-age football is a fantastic tribute to the way we do things at the Alex. It's what the Academy is all about - with the final aim of producing 1st team players for whichever division we are in.
    Quite right, AL. Mike is right to express his opinion on this forum, just like any other poster.

I think the result / performance / gulf in class just goes to prove that our academy is working and thankfully we can continue in the same category (if that is the right term) for some time to come. It is all about the future and the Crewe way. Ditch the academy and we are sunk!

Quote Originally Posted by alexmick
    Ditch the academy and we are sunk!

And in the further interest of balance, I don't think Mike has ever called for that. Just a redistribution of present funds, weighted more heavily towards the first team. Thus lending itself to a Cat 2 to Cat 3 downgrade.

That said, not wishing to perpetuate a love-in, I still disagree with him
    The Academy remains our main source of income, our main feed into the first team - therefore it should remain our primary focus.

I just worry about those that we do sell on don't maximise their undoubted potential - the meandering careers of Powell and Murphy a case in point. But that's a separate discussion.

There are two schools of thought on Cat. 2 versus Cat. 3, and each has its good days and its bad days.

No doubt before last night's game it would have been possible to say of Crewe's Youth team: "mardy wee toerags, with their heads stuffed full of new-fangled coaching nonsense". And of the York lads: "Throwing their jackets down on the beach at Scarborough and having a good game of three-and- you're-in will set them up for the tie just fine".

By 9.20 p.m., people would no doubt have given up on those opinions.

My impression, as a regular follower of the youth cup games over years, is that the players' quality is better than ever. After taking on seven of last year's group as professionals, I wondered if this year's group might see a dip; but there is so much talent amongst our 16-18-year-olds.

I'd be surprised if the club didn't offer at least four or five professional contracts again next summer, and I wouldn't want to be the one who had to choose those to miss out.

Whether this has to do with the category or not, is debatable of course; EPPP's only been going a couple of years. It is testament surely though, to the overall coaching programme at the club, and the quality of the coaches encouraged by Dario for so long. The prospect of the quality becoming even greater, year on year, certainly whets the appetite.

The Fulham tie whets the appetite, and it'd be good to see the club and the local media, helped by all of us of course on forums such as these, and Twitter, Facebook etc, publicis

Goals on the link - view external link

Thanks for the link out0lunch. Good to see Alex lads slotting the goals in.

This link work`s - view external link

Very optimistic about our youth.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast