+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dutch Trialist & Victory over Burnley

re: Dutch Trialist & Victory over Burnley

I think overall squad depth is a key factor in our rise up the table over the last year or so, and there is absolutely no harm in supplementing that from a position of strength if we can find something a bit special.

What has impressed me is that for every new player brought into the squad, they have had to bide their time and grab their opportunity when it comes. The management team seem very consistent and fair.

For much of Clough's tenure we often had no other option but to put round pegs in square holes. The only way I can see team moral being affected is if we have a spate of players brought in on better deals, like we did under Billy Davies. But now that the nucleus of the squad has had new deals, you would think that would be very unlikely.

Keeping the youngsters happy, particularly the ones who have been brought in over the summer may be a lot bigger challenge. We do seem to be going for quite a few youngsters who have left under a cloud at previous clubs and have n

[quote="HungaryRam"]I think overall squad depth is a key factor in our rise up the table over the last year or so, and there is absolutely no harm in supplementing that from a position of strength if we can find something a bit special.

What has impressed me is that for every new player brought into the squad, they have had to bide their time and grab their opportunity when it comes. The management team seem very consistent and fair.

For much of Clough's tenure we often had no other option but to put round pegs in square holes. The only way I can see team moral being affected is if we have a spate of players brought in on better deals, like we did under Billy Davies. But now that the nucleus of the squad has had new deals, you would think that would be very unlikely.

Keeping the youngsters happy, particularly the ones who have been brought in over the summer may be a lot bigger challenge. We do seem to be going for quite a few youngsters who have

I disagree with the opinion that we are overloading the wing position up, I think Mac is right to look to the future for this position.

How many genuine wingers do we actually have?

Ibe (on loan)
    Santos (Development squad)
    Forsyth (currently playing left back as not good enough)

The players currently playing the wing position are strikers, which suits the players we have and Martin is key to that system. But what happens when Martin gets injured? Can any of our other players play his role? I doubt it, so we would have to change our style, and bringing in a genuine winger is a good option.

Edit: I've just realised that this young lad is another wide striker, and therefore makes this post a bit thick. Screw you guys, I'm goin' home

Quote Originally Posted by Toggles
    The only reason for mentioning Clough is to respond to his mention in the post I was responding to.'blind faither' in Clough's time.Just do a search and you will find all thes - I have done so in posts before.
    I am well over Clough (N) and would prefer never to have to mention his again.But I will respond to idle moaning posters who moan even though we are doing well. McClaren doesn't get enough credit.
    Think that's a bit OTT cheif! Idle, moaning poster! Myself (or Bear- whoever that's aimed at) are far from 'moaning posters' and both have shown nothing but support for SMc. Just a discussion and observation on squad size is all.

As you say, Clough did make some bum signings, but he generally moved em on quick and rarely did we have several spare players in 1 position, as we seem to now with wingers.[/quote]

No intention to cause offence to you - your posts are usua

A selection of failed Clough players.
    Chris Porter, Ben Davies, Theo Robinson, Frank Fielding, Chris Maguire, Dave Martin, Thomas Cywka, Ben Pringle, Connor Salmon, Connor Doyle, James o Connor, Nathan Tyson, etc etc, the list goes on!
    Nigel made lots of mistakes.
    I think the fear of a tight knit squad argument is valid and should be debated, but the difference is, we are currently in a period of success on the pitch (before anyone jumps down my throat our win ratio is excellent so that is success), a successful team attracts players and most players will be happy within that success. The problems occur and the squabbles start when the success turns to failure. Mclaren must be aware of personalities before bringing them into our club. I do like to look at Leon Best's body language due to his track record. Hopefully he will not turn nasty.

Improving our under 21 squad is important and if it means bringing in non English players then so be it. The state of the England team is not Derby

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet
    Emil Zola said that??

Dreyfuss must have been deeply upset...
    J'accuse you of being intentionally oblique Roger.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramfantastic
    A selection of failed Clough players.
    Chris Porter, Ben Davies, Theo Robinson, Frank Fielding, Chris Maguire, Dave Martin, Thomas Cywka, Ben Pringle, Connor Salmon, Connor Doyle, James o Connor, Nathan Tyson, etc etc, the list goes on!
    Nigel made lots of mistakes.
    These are all players who ended up not really making it here... but they all had the chance to make the grade BEFORE others were brought in to challenge for their role. The point I was trying to make was; will the likes of Alfie Santos and Calero, and Mason get a proper chance if we keep signing other young players in their positions every few weeks/months.

I know we've not signed the Dutch lad as yet, but we look to be considering him. As another poster has said, there are other areas where we are thin on the ground position-wise.

Anyway, this thread was just for a debate, not a big gripe at SMc. At least it's getting posts about the rams!

Always worth a look at any player with potential. As our team improves it will be harder for youngsters to break into the first team! As Patrick Bamford remains a million miles away from the Chelsea first team.
    It's pretty difficult to criticise Mclaren at the moment. He has done a tremendous job!

Quote Originally Posted by chili756
    Another sodding winger!!

Other positions are available!

We're in danger of doing 'an Arsenal' and signing the 'next big thing' before the 'last big thing' has matured and made a contributuion
    I can't see a problem. McClaren knows what he's doing. There's so many u21 games and friendlies and u18's and "A Derby XI" games he'll have chances to prove his worth. If he proves to be good, excellent, if not, he walks and we're no worse off.[/quote]

It's not a big prob, I admit, but we've signed young wingers already this summer. Calero, Santos, and have Mason who seems to be being played out there, another young winger would push one of these out without them getting a real chance. We are getting a rep for gi

Quote Originally Posted by derby123
    Another sodding winger!!

Other positions are available!

We're in danger of doing 'an Arsenal' and signing the 'next big thing' before the 'last big thing' has matured and made a contributuion
    I can't see a problem. McClaren knows what he's doing. There's so many u21 games and friendlies and u18's and "A Derby XI" games he'll have chances to prove his worth. If he proves to be good, excellent, if not, he walks and we're no worse off.[/quote]

It's not a big prob, I admit, but we've signed young wingers already this summer. Calero, Santos, and have Mason who seems to be being played out there, another young winger would push one of these out without them getti

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)