+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goalkeepers

Very interesting all this. Like a lot of football issues it's just a matter of opinion. My opinion is at this level and a couple above, every person in the team has limitations and weaknesses otherwise we would be walking away with the league so, for what its worth, I think Adam Collin was better than what we have now, the 18 year old we had last season lacked experience and never justified his automatic selection over Fitzsimons and remember he has only found a loan position at a low level Scotish side this season. Slocombe left his previous club without signing for anyone else so not exactly in demand. It seems to me its just a matter of which weaknesses a particular manager is prepared to accept or if your personality fits

Slocombe is comfortably better than Fitzsimmons. It's not even close for me, as he has an element of commanding his area. Fitz didn't, even when he was performing well before his moment of absolute madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Biker9999 View Post
    Very interesting all this. Like a lot of football issues it's just a matter of opinion. My opinion is at this level and a couple above, every person in the team has limitations and weaknesses otherwise we would be walking away with the league so, for what its worth, I think Adam Collin was better than what we have now, the 18 year old we had last season lacked experience and never justified his automatic selection over Fitzsimons and remember he has only found a loan position at a low level Scotish side this season. Slocombe left his previous club without signing for anyone else so not exactly in demand. It seems to me its just a matter of which weaknesses a particular manager is prepared to accept or if your personality fits
    Scottish Premiership is the low level.But I agree he wasnt any better. And he has only played one league game for them for what its worth

Quote Originally Posted by Biker9999 View Post
    Schofield justified his selection by not being Ross Fitzsimons, we needed anyone other than him in goal because he'd been awful and you could see none of the players in front of him had any faith at all in him. He was a gamble but instead of being better or worse he was fairly similar but I'd see it as a draw, Ardley didn't win or lose with signing him it just happened.

Slocombe "left his club without signing for anyone else" like a good 80% of players at this level who move clubs on free transfers you mean? Doesn't really matter either way as how he's performed for us is more important than where he came from or what he did last season and he's played very well, with many saying he's the best keeper we've has since Bartosz Bialkowski.

Everyone is welcome to their opinion but it's a bit odd making comments that are completely made up then not mentioning them again when someone calls you out on it, like him not being given a chance to re-establish himself or Ardley thinking he was okay for a while as he picked him when Slocombe was available, both of those comments are like you saying grass is blue, someone telling you it's green and then you've just moved on to what colour the sky is

Not been impressed with McDonnell, so far, but we’ll soon find out. After his performance against Hartlepool, teams will now be testing him with balls into the box. Not sure he’s any improvement on Fitz tbh. Slocombe, however, has been an excellent signing and the sooner he’s back the better.

It's difficult to have a good quality backup Keeper at this level.

Fitz isn’t a bad back up at this level. The only problem was that NA didn’t like him. Fitz knew he would be on his bike at the end of the season so decided to try and secure a contract elsewhere.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12