+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Well done the ten men!

re: Well done the ten men!

As far as I can see Hammell, Pearson, Lasley, Leitch, Mcmanus, Vigurs, Lawson and, I think, McHugh as well, are injured. Whether you think these guys should be picked or not, the result of injuries is that we can't get a settled team on to the park from one week to the next. Every week we have players playing out of position, and alongside another player who is probably out of position as well. While all that's going on we have, during January, played five of the top six, and we were away from home in the other game. Some of our performances have been utterly woeful, and I've been as miserable and worried as everybody else on the way home. But if we can regularly get a fit Hammell, Lasley and, especially, Pearson on the park together with Dom Thomas, then all is certainly not lost.

In sport, not just football but sport in general, you have to take every bit of positivity you can get, especially when you are struggling and confidence is low as in our case. So to take a point from a game when we started poorly, lost a player after 25 minutes then fight back, something that we have lacked this season is something you have to give a bit if credit for. Lets hope we can take the form we finished the game off today into the next game.

Two weeks off has a double edged sword about it.One it gives players a good rest and allows injuries to clear up and have a bit more competition for places.On the other hand the fight and spirit that was shown by the ten men for the last half hour today could just be easily lost because of the break,also young Thomas who should surely keep his place in the team might lose out because of the break and injuries clearing up.But would like to think IB sees Thomas's worth to the team and Sutton up front.

Quote Originally Posted by dazlhigh
    As far as I can see Hammell, Pearson, Lasley, Leitch, Mcmanus, Vigurs, Lawson and, I think, McHugh as well, are injured.
    Don't forget ZFA.

Agree with much of what has been said. The team selection was certainly cautious and defensive. It lacked pace and creativity. Still over the piece we showed fighting spirit in the last 30 minutes and drew more saves than saints did. A smashing goal following great work by young Thomas.

I would take issue with one thing though. The red card incident was soft in the extreme. May not even have been a foul. Yellow card at worst. I hope we contest it.

Things are looking up a bit. Would like to see the Hammell, Pearson, Lasley and Lawson back fit. that would provide more pace, creativity and energy.

Thought Carswell and Law were very poor today. Erwin, Thomas and Moore did well as did Reid and Kerr in the second period.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it
    As far as I can see Hammell, Pearson, Lasley, Leitch, Mcmanus, Vigurs, Lawson and, I think, McHugh as well, are injured.
    Don't forget ZFA.

Agree with much of what has been said. The team selection was certainly cautious and defensive. It lacked pace and creativity. Still over the piece we showed fighting spirit in the last 30 minutes and drew more saves than saints did. A smashing goal following great work by young Thomas.

I would take issue with one thing though. The red card incident was soft in the extreme. May not even have been a foul. Yellow card at worst. I hope we contest it.

Things are looking up a bit. Would like to see the Hammell, Pearson, Lasley and Lawson back fit. that would provide more pace, creativity and energy.

Thought Carswell and Law were very poor today. Erwin, Thomas and Moore did well as did Reid and Kerr in the second period.[/quote]

Waste o

re: Well done the tenmen!

Red card was soft both players got in a tangle and the St player appeared to played the ball forward with his hand. Red card was a shocker from a tomtit of a ref. Saying that the Big guy was caught in possesion twice and on the wrong side of his man 3 times in his short debut. He looks the part physically but time will tell. I would also be nervous making my debut at Fir Park...

re: Well done the tenmen!

Without doubt red card was soft but by the letter of the law its a professional foul stopping a goal scoring opportunity so therefore your off,what worries me more is that Laing is 6ft 2ins and lets the ball bounce over him,as any schoolboy knows you dont let the ball bounce,if necessary its headed or kicked into row Z

Quote Originally Posted by steviex
    Waste of money contesting it, it would fail. By letter of the Law it was the correct decision soft or not Laing (whether unintentionally or not) impeded the St Johnstone player with a clear goal scoring opportunity.
    I've looked at it time and again and have come to the conclusion that it was a accidental collision. Both players had their eyes focused on the ball. Not a red card in my view. A dropped ball would have been the correct decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it
    Waste of money contesting it, it would fail. By letter of the Law it was the correct decision soft or not Laing (whether unintentionally or not) impeded the St Johnstone player with a clear goal scoring opportunity.
    I've looked at it time and again and have come to the conclusion that it was a accidental collision. Both players had their eyes focused on the ball. Not a red card in my view. A dropped ball would have been the correct decision.[/quote]

Pound to a penny the club don't appeal cos they know technically referee was correct.

Our performance greatly improved once our youth players (Thomas, Erwin and Moore) all on pitch same time.
    Thomas certainly made a difference and introduction of Moore saw another. They have an understanding from playing with each each other and clearly showed. I hope who ever in charge can see their potential and sign on long term contracts.

Forced to play Laing and Straker and both looked out of touch .. thought it was Ainsworth No44 and better when moved to left back. Fortunate to come away with draw and substitutions made difference.
    IMO during the summer, once contracts expire, majority players will depart. Where we play beginning to look apparent.

McCall was in stand ... wonder if recognised the team and puzzled to where the dross he signed were sat !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)