+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why go up?

re: Why go up?

Come on now guys, much of this talk has become prevalent since the bad run transpired.

I'd love to see us go up, unlikely we would win anything or even stay up but surely in any sport it's about playing at the highest possible level.

Wembley was full with anticipation last season and there was very little of this talk when we were one defeat in ten a few weeks back.

I can see the current squad imploding if we don't go up this year so it could be back to mid table mediocrity and nothing to play for - get behind the boys and if we don't make top two lets hit the play offs flying

I think the solution is to go with a franchised European super league. Real, Barca, Man U, Chelsea, Ajax, PSG Bayern, etc. No promotion, no relegation. All the plastics will go there and football fans, where the team means something to you, has resonance with your family history, is part of you, can all have a something to realistically dream for.

[quote="Ramondo"]I have said on here many times that I have no real desire to watch Derby play the over inflated egos of the Premier League week in, week out. That league doesn't do anything for me at all.

The Championship is the best league in the world. For excitement.

Not for pure quality, but for overall entertainment (qualified as being 'more than 4 teams have a chance').

But...

what is the point of playing if there is no point in winning?

(Cue Mr Grumpy chops... )

Forget the FA Cup, only one team can win it out of us and the Premier League, so chances are remote.

But there are 24 teams in this league, take out the ones you would expect to be in the bottom half and you're left with maybe a dozen that you might think could potentially challenge the top 6 places. Out of those, 3 will be successful - thats 25%.

Plus, we play 46 games all season - if there isn't anything at the end of all those games thats worth aiming f

Southampton don't seem to be doing too bad. The main problem with not going up is that, after next year, teams coming down will be that rich it will start a select bunch much the same as the PL now. The poorer clubs will find it very difficult to challenge for promotion.

Yes lets go back to those miserable 4 years under Clough, boring tedious football, not much chance of going down and **** all chance of getting promoted why on earth would we want to get in the prem and be a team like Stoke, Swansea, Southampton, West Brom or Crystal Palace, I'm sure the majority of their fans would rather be a division lower and be a group of 8 or so teams with a chance of promotion each year, it must be so boring watching world class football players coming to your club and ocasionally like Burnley did last weekend outwitting them!

As for building slowly "the right way" - who defines "the right way"? Even before Sky the old first division was dominated by a few clubs. Liverpool for one, so its been no different really.

seems to me one posters consensus was that many of those players acquired by Clough arent good enough for the prem - I agree actually, its just that McClaren and co have got them playing above themselves, so yes we do need some quality added, unfort

Quote Originally Posted by ramspride
    Southampton don't seem to be doing too bad. The main problem with not going up is that, after next year, teams coming down will be that rich it will start a select bunch much the same as the PL now. The poorer clubs will find it very difficult to challenge for promotion.
    Actually, I tend to disagree with that.

The problem with finances is the gulf when you do go up, it isn't so much of a problem trying to keep up with teams being relegated.

Every time the Sky money goes I hear the same thing. It'll be impossible for anyone to compete with the relegated teams, the league is going to get harder to get out of, etc, etc, etc.

However, I would like to point out that in the last 7 seasons, only 5 out of the 21 relegated Premier League sides have been promoted back up - two of those through the play offs (including last seasons flukers). 3 out of those seven seasons have had NO relegated Premier League side in the top 6 at all.

8 se

Quote Originally Posted by FindernRam
    Having watched the debacle of our last few games I had a sudden Glen Morangie inspired flash of insight last night.

I would prefer not to go up. What we have seen for a few games would be the norm in the Prem with dismal defeats being the result most weeks. So stay where we are and enjoy more wins than losses.

"A Man's worth is not more than the worth of his ambitions"

It would be nice that promoted teams have a realistic chance but Super rich owners and poor distribution of Sky money have killed it.

Our national team is a disgrace, we're outclassed in Europe and the Prem is a closed shop.

Where did I leave that bottle?

"A Man's worth is not more than the worth of his ambitions"

Living amongst many Southampton fans, I can safely say that the general feeling down here is it's better to be in the prem, pitting for a place in Europe, than festering in the lower divisions.

Where-ever you are in the football league, you should always be looking to improve and go up to the next level, otherwise whats the point? Its not just the taking part that counts!

If we don't go up this season I'll be totally gutted! For me the Prem is the only place to be. I want us playing the best in the hardest league in the world. I want the the Rams to be part of it!

Not wanting to go up! you guys need to have a word with yourselves your starting to sound like Rattea who in my opinion is the most negative fan ever.
    Do I like the sound of getting beaten every week and paying more to see it No do I want Derby county pitting their skills against the very best teams in the country Hell Yes! If we happen to come straight back down and have to start again so be it this is competitive football. Just maybe we wont come straight back down only a few years ago the likes of Fulham were beating Juventus 4-0 in Europe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)