+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd Test Perth

Definitely happy with that after waking up at 5am and thinking "Here we fechan go again!"

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    All part of the game ---and they all have so much protection these days anyway.
    I played against a plethora of West Indian fast bowlers in the 60s with just a cap on my head, towel as a thigh pad, nothing on the chest ---it was bloody terrifying! Mind you, apart from Roy Gilchrist, they were generally fair and pitched it up to us amateurs.

Still going quite well at the minute with a few minor scares with the new ball.
    Who did you play for Ss ? I only saw Gilchrist once down Accy as he was playing in the Central Lancs, he was sub pro for Rawtenstall or Rammy I think. He bowled a beamer at Russ Cuddihy, who wasn't best pleased, he was immediately advancing down the wicket towards Roy with serious intent, but his team-mates got to him first and dragged him away. Roy was apologising saying it slipped, it was accidental, but Russ wasn't for listening and he wasn't a man to get the wrong side of.

sinkov-- I played for Church when Chester Watson was our pro., Burnley had Charlie Griffiths, Lowerhouse had Roy Gilchrist, Lester King was at Rawtenstall. Also in the league at that time was Aussie quickie, Des Hoare at Nelson and one of the best spin bowlers I ever seen, Johnny Wardle was at Rishton. We were also very lucky to have some class batsmen playing at that time, Eddie Barlow at Accrington, Basil Butcher at Bacup, Seymour Nurse at Ramsbottom and also the Todmorden legend, Sylvester Oliver.
    I remember the Gilchrist/Russ Cuddihy incident and only Gilchrist knew whether or not it was intentional, however, he had a very short fuse and there were other similar incidents, one of which I remember very well and it was directed at one of his own countrymen.
    At the age of 16, I went with Chester Watson as scorer for a West Indian XI playing against The Rest in a benefit match for Rohan Kanhai at Stanley Park, Blackpool. When we arrived, The Rest team was one short so Chester volunteered my services and they found some kit and I was thrust into service. My abiding memory was being hit for five sixes by Kanhai --all of which disappeared into the park! However, Gilchrist was also playing for The Rest and he had a big bust up with Clairemont Depeiza, who was quite a big bloke. Things got smoothed over, however, when Depeiza came into bat he was absolutely bombarded by Gilchrist who totaally lost it and had to be persuaded to go off to cool down.
    Kanhai later played as professional for Ashington and the local Wetherspoons is called The Rohan Kanhai.

At that time Ss you were playing with world-class superstars every week. In four years at Accy, I was never good enough to play for them, we had Bobby Simpson, Wes Hall twice and Eddie Barlow, three of the best cricketers in the history of the game. It might have been just before your time but I can remember a Worsley Cup game against Church, must have been 1959 I think, Bobby Simpson just kept on batting and I was coming home from school, doing my homework, and then cycling to Church to watch the game in the evenings. I'm sure they were still at it on the Thursday night. Happy days.

Did you know Terry Neville, Accy wicket-keeper, good mate of mine.

I know of Terry, wasn't he a PE teacher at one of the schools?
    I left to join the RAF in 1966 and I think that Jack Collier (?) was wicket keeper for Accrington in those days and we had Bill Heys.
    I have never lived in the area since then and although I used to go with my dad when I was home on leave I lost touch with most people I knew.
    I think that your memory about Bob Simpson is a little off the mark because he did not score many runs at all in the Worsley Cup.
    They were happy days though, without doubt.

All part of the game ---and they all have so much protection these days anyway.
    I played against a plethora of West Indian fast bowlers in the 60s with just a cap on my head, towel as a thigh pad, nothing on the chest ---it was bloody terrifying! Mind you, apart from Roy Gilchrist, they were generally fair and pitched it up to us amateurs.

Still going quite well at the minute with a few minor scares with the new ball.
    Saw Gilchrist a couple of times and he actually bowled deliberate "beamers". Dangerous dude was Gilchrist.

I know of Terry, wasn't he a PE teacher at one of the schools?
    I left to join the RAF in 1966 and I think that Jack Collier (?) was wicket keeper for Accrington in those days and we had Bill Heys.
    I have never lived in the area since then and although I used to go with my dad when I was home on leave I lost touch with most people I knew.
    I think that your memory about Bob Simpson is a little off the mark because he did not score many runs at all in the Worsley Cup.
    They were happy days though, without doubt.
    You're right about Bobby Simpson Ss, the Worsley Cup game in 59 he only scored 5 and took 5-35, it was on Mon, Tue, Wed, 1/2/3 June. There was another Cup game at Church the following year in 60, 16/17/18 May and I'm not sure which game I'm thinking of now, I would think I went to both. The scores were,

1959, Church 154, Accy 155-7

1960, Church 83, Accy 120, Wes Hall took 6-32 and Church pro Ralph Legall took 8-67, to be honest I don't remember Ralph at all. Maybe with Simpson and his batting on and on, I'm getting mixed up with the 64 Test at Old Trafford when he batted through to Saturday afternoon, it's all a long time ago now and the memory does play tricks.

Jack Collier was keeper before Terry Neville and I think he ended up Head Teacher at MoorEnd. Strangely, although I watched Terry play cricket for years my friendship with him has much more to do with Ice Hockey. I most likely saw you play as well, but I understand if you don't want to identify yourself on here.

That mention of the game in 1960 certainly stirred memories. I had just taken over from Jimmy Clegg, who had been the Church scorer for around 50 years. I used to do the numbers on the scoreboard and spent all my school holidays helping the groundsman --it used to be great to mow the outfield on the ride-on mower --I was a very excited 14 year old at the time and it probably wouldn't be allowed now.
    Ralph Legall played just 4 times for the West Indies and he was actually a wicketkeeper but Church saw fit to engage him as professional in 1960. He disappointed with the bat scoring 552 runs at an average of 23.00 and you were really lucky to see that bowling display because those were his best figures because he only took 29 wickets in the whole season at an average of 28.65.

Good news for sledging back.

Lyons caught kissing someone he’s been dating and who isn’t his wife. See if he can spin out of that one

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...es-blonde.html

Its seems the Mother of Lyons children does not know of any split, with his car still in her drive and his clothes still there, or is it all smoke and mirrors to shame him ?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)