+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT - The rock and roll memories of 1973

Small world Monty. Hardly rock legends but my sister did her Masters at Lancaster and I visited her there in February 1978 to see a gig by The Adverts (of Gary Gilmore's Eyes fame).

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Small world Monty. Hardly rock legends but my sister did her Masters at Lancaster and I visited her there in February 1978 to see a gig by The Adverts (of Gary Gilmore's Eyes fame).
    Good grief, Cam. We were in the Great Hall together at the same time and didn't know it. You weren't the annoying pr*t who kept trying to smuggle booze in under his coat I trust? Strange to say I owned a limited (very limited) red plastic copy of that song. probably worth a mint but left behind in a midnight flit.

Cam, I think the Adverts was my penultimate concert. Certainly the Rich Kids was my last. Something happened and the missus made me pack it in. They made the crazy mistake of selling tickets in Blackpool and three coach loads of Blackpool fans in tangerine turned up and I've never seen violence like it. For the first time ever we had to get police and dogs in. I remember thinking at the time that they were all really little sh*ts but they fought in packs and you could have five or six trying to get you at once.
    Not sure if it was the Adverts but I walked down the side corridor at one 1978 concert towards the dressing rooms and heard a roadie talking. The accent was unmistakeable. He was also a Miller. Just then a guy behind us says "I'm from Rotherham as well." 5 or 6 guys in a corridor at Lancaster University and 3 are from Rotherham. Wierd. Perhaps the third guy was you?

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    Good grief, Cam. We were in the Great Hall together at the same time and didn't know it. You weren't the annoying pr*t who kept trying to smuggle booze in under his coat I trust? Strange to say I owned a limited (very limited) red plastic copy of that song. probably worth a mint but left behind in a midnight flit.
    I don't remember much about the gig, I think it was my 1st 'real' band (I'd seen Clar and his mob performing at Rawmarsh Methodist Church many times - didn't know it was him at the time). Remember my sister buying me a couple of pints in one of the bars as I was only 17 at the time. I too had all The Adverts singles in picture sleeves but not red vinyl. In fact just sold them recently in a clear out, foolishly in hindsight as I let my entire collection of 33s and 45s go, maybe 100+ discs for $100.

Unfortunately the weekend of that gig will live in my memory forever, that's why I know it was February 78. It was on a Friday night and my Mum died suddenly at the age of just 49 two days later

I think I bought my first ever single in 1973 , Twentieth Century Boy by T Rex from Casa Disco in Barnsley .

My first gig was Status Quo at the Manchester Apollo in 1977 , rockin all over the world tour .

It really started with punk though if I'm honest , my parents hated it so that was pretty cool by me , anytime your parents like your music as a ****ager then it's never right in my opinion , my old man thought he was cool by buying Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield and Oxygene by Jean Michel Jarre , he wasn't .

I have to thank the S ex Pistols for showing me another way with regard to the Royal Family , I sucked it up before they came along and I've never looked back since .

The power of music is often underrated , God Save The Queen indeed .

I was only 2 so I had more important things on my mind than pop music and glam rock lol. But the first record I ever bought later on in the 70s was Do the funky gibbon, by The Goodies.
    As for those 3 day weeks and all those strikes and limited petrol, it must have been a really depressing time. And doesnt that clip of Gary Glitter make you want to vomit now!.

1973, the year I discovered heavy rock. Pink Floyd, Status Quo, Free/Bad Company. Still my favourite bands. Went through the glam/punk /post-punk/blues. Still go back to my early influences.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    I was only 2 so I had more important things on my mind than pop music and glam rock lol. But the first record I ever bought later on in the 70s was Do the funky gibbon, by The Goodies.
    My sister, then only a child, used to sing "Do the monkey gibbon".... although "as any fool kno" gibbons are members of the ape family and are not monkeys. Zoology was never her strong subject!

"Do do do the funky gibbon (the funky gibbon), we are here to show you how, ooh ooh ooh!!".

They dont write songs like that anymore do they lol.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    Ah you see this is another example of ignorance manifesting as wisdom on MM. The promoter was himself only 23. The crew ranged in age from 19 to 30. A couple of ex-squaddies were unhappy with my elevation but the promoter explained that I was the only person he could trust not to take back-handers on the door. Why I should make up a tale that probably reflects badly on me only you can know milla? Memories are short on MM. I explained this to davidr9 on here several years back and he was in no doubt as to my veracity.
    Ah ok...just testing..i was sub-concious thinking you were kempo..hes very good at tripping himself up you know..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast