+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thats Belfast For You

I went on a walking tour in the city centre on a Sunday morning. It was good enough but I remember he said right at the end that the Arndale bombing in Manchester happened in 1994. However, I remember the day well. A group of friends and myself made a (failed) late bid to travel down to Euro96 for the England v Scotland match at the old (and I must say, imo, much missed) Wembley. On the same day we were travelling south, a van containing Provos and explosives were bound for Manchester to cause millions pounds worth of damage to businesses and peoples livelihoods.

Fortunately, the warnings were sufficient on this occasion that nobody was killed although there was hundreds with injuries...

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    Attachment 13105

Im in it now
    Bloody hell thats well good.

Wish I’d known that when I was there

Quote Originally Posted by xtrmntr75 View Post
    Bloody hell thats well good.

Wish I’d known that when I was there
    Theres a plaque on the wall that says

John Hewitt

Supersub

1963-

Fastest Goal in the Scottish cup

Real Madrid Slayer

Did Not Live Here

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    Just landed in Belfast. Went to get a taxi. Before i got in i was asked if i was "Decent". I explained i didnt understand but i may actually understand and he said "well you are scottish" so i said i "i support Aberdeen, make what you want of that". "Good enough" he said. "Get in".

Unreal that exists. He actually turned out to be a fine boy. He was telling me places to go when i come back with Jnr in August.then asked if i was needing a pint (obviously) and dropped me off at the best bar in Belfast.

Nae sure if he was a hun or a pig though as he didnt bat an eyelid at the fact i was away to watch Cliftonville. Who are more of the pig side of things

Welcome to Belfast
    My Dads Belfast born and bred. Great city and i’m There once a year. If its a pint you’re after, head to the Duke Of York in the Cathedral District. There’s also a wee bar round the corner called the John Hewitt which i frequent. You can guess why. There’s still the obvious issues and as a city its hard as nails but its way way better than it used to be. I once got accused (2000) of being an undercover Black Watch officer trying to infiltrate the IRA. In a republican bar. Thought i was going to be taken out the back and clipped. Mental.

As for the fitba, head to Seaview to watch Crusaders when you can. Great wee stadium. Also a great restaurant and bar that’s open every day. My Dad lives right across the road.

EDIT: Just scrolled down. You found the Hewitt apparently.

The pub the taxi hun dropped me off in was the Duke of York. I was "waiting in the middle" of John Hewitts for a pint too

When im im back in August the only game in Belfast is Cliftonville v Crusaders. Linfield are at home but F@CK THAT SH@T. Cant wait to come back. Today is aboot booze. Im nae going to lie. No sightseeing which is unlike me

When im back we are going to Dundalk V Finn Harps on Friday then Dungannon Swifts v Glentoran on Saturday

For the price of a trip i will easily nip over for Crusaders on day. 110 quid for flight and hotel(Ramada City centre). Only 50 mins on the fart cannister too

Mad as a bag of frogs the lot of them.

I used to go over and sell frames to opticians in the early days of the business, before we dealt with the public.
    So that would have been about 1995-1997.

People were always delighted to see me and it was a good place to go for decent orders.

Very friendly reception wherever I went, Falls Road in the morning, Shankhill in the afternoon.
    Same went for all the towns I visited in Northern Ireland.

Worst thing about it was the food, even worse than Scotland, I believe it's a lot better now.

I used to go over to Northern Ireland many times a year on business, loved the place and the people.

Always got a warm welcome because/in spite of being an Aberdeen fan.

I was in a Belfast pub when NI beat Engerland (2011), the Stone Island mob were in and i thought here we phucking go, nothing, apparently some dodgey NI characters were in the pub. Went on to some nightclub later on, same thing England fans all over the place...the DJ puts on "Sweet Caroline" not one bit of trouble ... as a non Aberdeen FC football night it was magic.

To make it even better we had an English pal in our company that night.

Great place, enjoy.

Great city. First ever time there was 1996 preseason for Glentoran v Aberdeen. A local who we decided we could trust took us a short cut back to the city centre after the game. Kerbs painted red, white and blue and fires still smouldering from the 12th July a few days before. Been a few times since socially and through work. Sound place. Only thing I have been told/warned about is not just hailing a cab and asking to go to a particular place/area. Let your hotel get you one.

Name:  _20190704_171111.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  94.3 KB

Name:  _20190704_171129.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  103.7 KB

Name:  _20190704_170421.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  90.7 KB

Name:  _20190704_171152.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  93.2 KB