+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Losing interest

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    I've followed F1 for years but increasingly the "rules" are interfering. One of the most annoying is when someone has gone off the track but in a safe place, and one of the better innovations in recent year has been the "virtual" safety car, so basically everyone else maintains their position (except those lucky enough to be needing a tyre change) at a slower speed. But often, just to close the gap to the leaders a decision is made for a full safety car, so the guy in front who has worked his socks off to get a 10s lead suddenly has it closed down.

Last night's "width of a hair" off-side decision was farcical - where's the clear and obvious error? Oh yes, goalie possibly destroying a footballer's career - but no, not even looked at.

I guess we are just not very good with the use of technology yet.
    Yes, the Van Dyke incident was exactly the sort of thing I thought VAR was going to be used for, yet it completely ignored it.
    You can't believe VAR can get any worse, but somehow it still finds a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Observerpie View Post
    Not so much as a result of poor performances and management, although that becomes more exaggerated during the current situation, but because of the lack of a "match day experience".
    I'm missing the pre and post match in the pub, the faces that I'd see at every game, the usual gripes and moans and everything else that made up the day. Watching a game online in an empty stadium is doing nothing to rekindle my enthusiasm and is making me realise that the social side of the day was probably a big part of it and once that habit is broken it becomes difficult to start again, a view I've heard from supporters of various clubs. Obviously this isn't the fault of Notts, but in light of this it becomes even more important for the team not to push us further towards the exit but, sadly, I see no signs of real improvement.
    I realise that I will now be condemned as not being a true supporter but after a hell of a lot of years following the club I won't worry about that.
    Summed my view up perfectly

Its interesting to see the views. Having access to the live feeds home and away has actually improved things for me as I can see more matches and I feel more engaged with the club as a result. There should be a concerted effort made certainly at the lower levels to offer live feeds to away fans. Its just a shame that some people will then use a VPN in the UK to watch it. There must be a way of stopping that.

I think football feeds into our instinct to belong, it's almost primeval. It's an opportunity for thousands of us, often with little else in common, to belong. The noise, the hope, the anticipation, the anger, the ecstasy of winning and of course the agony of losing - maybe 4 or 5 thousands people all around you feeling the exactly the same emotion at exactly the same time. There's not much else we do that can evoke that feeling of being part of a tribe.

Taking all that into account, I guess it's no surprise that watching alone on a computer screen is such a poor substitute. That said, it's such an important revenue stream for the club, I guess if people can afford to support in that way, it's a good thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    I think football feeds into our instinct to belong, it's almost primeval. It's an opportunity for thousands of us, often with little else in common, to belong. The noise, the hope, the anticipation, the anger, the ecstasy of winning and of course the agony of losing - maybe 4 or 5 thousands people all around you feeling the exactly the same emotion at exactly the same time. There's not much else we do that can evoke that feeling of being part of a tribe.

Taking all that into account, I guess it's no surprise that watching alone on a computer screen is such a poor substitute. That said, it's such an important revenue stream for the club, I guess if people can afford to support in that way, it's a good thing to do.
    Spot on cher. You only have to look at this board to know that many of us don't have a lot in common, but I genuinely believe we all want the same thing when Notts are playing. When we don't get what we want, the different reactions are plain to see!

Also agree with the last paragraph, I don't really enjoy watching games on a computer screen, but I'll pay to do it as it's the only way I can support the club in the current situation.

For those of us living overseas, being able to watch games online is a lifeline, so I really hope the club find some way to keep this going (though it's hard to see anything other than restricted numbers being allowed back into grounds for this season anyway).

It's another way to connect to our club, which is ***** because, outside of family, it's probably the longest relationship most of us will have in our lives. I've already told my kids that as soon as they're grown up, I'm heading back to England so I can suffer Notts games in the flesh once again.

I didn't notice the club give out a figure for this week's virtual attendance - be interesting to see if it's up or down on last week. The stream was excellent on Saturday, just a shame about the second half on the pitch.

I buy stuff from the club shop but I’m getting up at 1am to watch it, particularly as it’s not very good. If they start playing some really good football I might change my mind, but I’m not wrecking a good nights sleep to be bored mindless.
    Last edited by ForeignLegion; 19-10-2020 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Spot on cher. You only have to look at this board to know that many of us don't have a lot in common, but I genuinely believe we all want the same thing when Notts are playing. When we don't get what we want, the different reactions are plain to see!

Also agree with the last paragraph, I don't really enjoy watching games on a computer screen, but I'll pay to do it as it's the only way I can support the club in the current situation.
    Can't you connect laptop to tv via hdmi or wirelessly, I use hdmi lead and watch on a 55" screen, its like sitting in the Pavis stand.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    For those of us living overseas, being able to watch games online is a lifeline
    Yep I agree, I actually feel more involved than last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    Can't you connect laptop to tv via hdmi or wirelessly, I use hdmi lead and watch on a 55" screen, its like sitting in the Pavis stand.
    It's not particularly what I watch it on, I just don't really enjoy watching games on a screen. I watched the friendlies on a 55" screen via Youtube, and the Altrincham game on my iPad because I was abroad. I'll watch the home games on a 23" desktop screen. It is better than nothing, and I can understand that it's a real bonus for anyone living outside the UK.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast