+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holding on to players

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    You can add Chicksen to that list, he only signed a 1 year contract so I'd expect him to move on up if we don't.
    I don't know, I think Chicksen would be tempted to stick around. He's played at a higher level before. It's not like he's a youngster looking to maximise his career. He's probably playing the best football of his career right now at Notts. I can see him staying.

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    Ruben is clearly waiting to see if we can gain promotion, no promotion no Ruben. Langstaff has 2 years on his contract and surely has to go up to the Championship to get the same style of play and supply he gets at Notts in order to score the goals. Again depends on promotion and what offers are on the table if we fail to go up. Cameron and Chicksen as above depends on promotion either way I can see them moving to a L2 club.
    Imagine how glorious it would be to get promoted and have Ruben sign a two-year deal. He'd be a genuine club legend at that point.

Of all the players, I'll miss him the most if/when he leaves. It would just feel wrong seeing him in a different shirt, but I'd wish him well wherever he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I don't know, I think Chicksen would be tempted to stick around. He's played at a higher level before. It's not like he's a youngster looking to maximise his career. He's probably playing the best football of his career right now at Notts. I can see him staying.
    Me too.

Charlie Slater said immediately after interviewing him last night ‘it’s hard not to love him.’
    He’s just one of those players that you instantly warm to.
    I think if we go up he stays. If we don’t, I think he weighs up his options and moves on.

Like others I fully expect Ruben Rodrigues and Macauley Langstaff to leave the club in the summer regardless of whether we get promoted or not. It would not surprise me if a club did like what we did with Langstaff and Scott and make a double signing for the pair. Lots of big championship clubs that have not had the best of seasons like Hull/Reading/Swansea/QPR/Cardiff. Then in league one there are big clubs like Derby, Ipswich, Bolton but it's whether they have the money or not.

The ideal situation is that players move up with the club to the next level or beyond, but we have to accept that there is the possibility that some players will move up the leagues quicker than the club like Wootton. For the simple reason we are in this national league bottleneck.

It's a far better place to be in as a club if players are moving upwards rather than downwards after they have left the club as is what happened so many times in the past. No longer is this club a graveyard for players looking for a last pay day or players who will never play at a higher level. Instead we are a club which develops and improves players. That can only bode well for the future.

I just hope we can hold onto our manager as well at the end of the season and we don't have another Burchnall situation this year with someone sniffing around before the seasons over. Nobody has mentioned holding onto him yet.

All we can do is trust the radar to replace anyone who leaves with similar to fit the clubs philosophy.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 15-03-2023 at 03:00 PM.

Being in league 2 could be key as it opens up signing players currently based overseas, much bigger pool for the Radar to go fishing in.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Imagine how glorious it would be to get promoted and have Ruben sign a two-year deal. He'd be a genuine club legend at that point.

Of all the players, I'll miss him the most if/when he leaves. It would just feel wrong seeing him in a different shirt, but I'd wish him well wherever he goes.
    Totally agree, but could a work permit be an issue with him? Brexit has prevented us signing more overseas players due to far stricter rules, but not sure if the same rules apply when they’re already here.

Quote Originally Posted by freemuzzy View Post
    Totally agree, but could a work permit be an issue with him? Brexit has prevented us signing more overseas players due to far stricter rules, but not sure if the same rules apply when they’re already here.
    If that were an issue no one else would be able to sign him.

Quote Originally Posted by bule1 View Post
    If that were an issue no one else would be able to sign him.
    In this country, yes.

He has already signed for Notts, we can extend his deal no problem. Any other clubs would hit any hypothetical issues but we would not as he is already at the club

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast