+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Raith (H) 16th Dec

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    The 10 role is a weak area. Glass & Mochrie just aren't stepping up to the plate. I think we'll go with Watt supporting Moult next week.
    It annoys me as it is an area we have been weak in for some time yet has never been addressed , like you I don’t think Glass or Mochrie are the answer

Quote Originally Posted by ianharab View Post
    It annoys me as it is an area we have been weak in for some time yet has never been addressed , like you I don’t think Glass or Mochrie are the answer
    nobody plays with 10's anymore they are a dying breed

As it stands after 14 games it's pretty crazy how good both teams are doing

United deserve huge credit as do Raith, this is the 24th season of the 2nd tier this century

In all those seasons, only Hearts ended up with a better pts per game record (2.53), than United (2.43) and Raith (2.36) currently have, which is above next best Sevco's 2016 record and a good bit better than Utd 2019/20 and Hearts 2020/21 (both 2.11)

Hearts ended up on a ridiculous 91 points, which is 10 better than the next best of 81 (Sevco plus Falkirk in 2003), remember last seasons winners had the lowest winning total of the century with 63 (1.75)

Obviously I expect it to drop off for both clubs as things progress but shows how good we are doing and we are unlucky in a way that Raith are having their best start to a season in about 60+ years and maybe aren't getting the credit we should be due to this, as it stands though both teams could end up above 70 pts, I'd reckon a target of 75-80 pts would win it but not easy to do that

Team deserves a noisy and positive home support on Saturday coming and going forward, against Ayr was not really very good from our support

We have dipped a bit in form recently. The almost a month away from the league I don't think helped with a diddy cup game we took the foot off the pedal followed by one of these bizarre exits from The Scottish Cup where I cant remember having so many shots on goal. It was important to get the 3 points against Ayr to get us back on track. For some perspective we are currently on our longest period of scoring in each competitive fixture since the 1960s currently standing at 21. Another 6 and it is the record. I get the anxiety leading up to Raith game but our goal difference is +19 better than Raith. We should go in to the game with confidence and assert ourselves.
    Last edited by arab777; 11-12-2023 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arab1970 View Post
    nobody plays with 10's anymore they are a dying breed
    I mean in the hole behind Moult , someone who can open a defence

Quote Originally Posted by ianharab View Post
    I mean in the hole behind Moult , someone who can open a defence
    we have a 6k a week player who scored against Barcelona for that

Same Team as Saturday but with Watt coming in for Mochrie

ok doing it last 15 mins against a tiring Ayr defence. Time for him to earn his money

Quote Originally Posted by arab777 View Post
    We have dipped a bit in form recently. The almost a month away from the league I don't think helped with a diddy cup game we took the foot off the pedal followed by one of these bizarre exits from The Scottish Cup where I cant remember having so many shots on goal. It was important to get the 3 points against Ayr to get us back on track. For some perspective we are currently on our longest period of scoring in each competitive fixture since the 1960s currently standing at 21. Another 6 and it is the record. I get the anxiety leading up to Raith game but our goal difference is +19 better than Raith. We should go in to the game with confidence and assert ourselves.
    I think it was the QOS game that has set everyone 'on edge'. That, plus the fact that we can't 'shake off' Raith. But for a bit perspective, 'free scoring' Raith have scored 8 goals fewer than us and defensively they are miles off what we've done this season. I get they've had some great comebacks of late but that's the rub - why are they having to constantly have to produce miracle comebacks? It's because they can't defend. We're criticising our defence, but the goals Raith conceded against Partick were ludicrous and for a while they lost the plot completely in that second half. Further, when they're going 'gung ho' late on, there are huuuuuuuge gaps they're leaving at the back. They can't keep doing that - they will start to get picked off at some point............

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    I think it was the QOS game that has set everyone 'on edge'. That, plus the fact that we can't 'shake off' Raith. But for a bit perspective, 'free scoring' Raith have scored 8 goals fewer than us and defensively they are miles off what we've done this season. I get they've had some great comebacks of late but that's the rub - why are they having to constantly have to produce miracle comebacks? It's because they can't defend. We're criticising our defence, but the goals Raith conceded against Partick were ludicrous and for a while they lost the plot completely in that second half. Further, when they're going 'gung ho' late on, there are huuuuuuuge gaps they're leaving at the back. They can't keep doing that - they will start to get picked off at some point............
    QOS game set everyone on edge - absolutely agree.
    Can't 'shake off' Raith - again, bang on.

The rest of it - I would really love to think that you are right but only time will tell. There was an article on the BBC last week saying that they have collected 14 points this season from the 85th minute onwards. I wonder how many points that is if you expand that to even 80 minutes onwards?

Quote Originally Posted by arab1970 View Post
    we have a 6k a week player who scored against Barcelona for that
    That’s not his position

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)