+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The 1965 Rescue

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiPie View Post
    Maybe Notts County can claim another world record. Have we played a greater number of different teams than anyone other team?

Due to our longevity and journey up, and more often, down the leagues.

I think this is a bit of a challenge for the statisticians.
    I've got us down as playing 209 different teams in all competitions, though that includes 4 academy/U21/U23 sides. It's also up for debate whether to treat clubs separately or as the same club after they've folded and come back. I treat them as the same, though for some reason that rule tends not to be applied to Leeds City-Leeds United despite the latter being formed immediately, using the same ground and colours and being granted re-entry into the FL the following season, OK there was a name change but that also applies to teams who have adopted "AFC", therefore it could be a contentious record if it were close but Bradford Park Avenue for example must have played an awful lot of teams in non-league and non-league cup competitions. You've also got the top teams playing against numerous European outfits.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    My Notts County journey started around the same time Jimmy Sirrel was appointed, which was a brilliant time to start. The 1970s will always be my favourite era, getting from division four to division one a bit later was more enjoyable than actually watching us play in division one. I've seen us play Man City, Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham and Chelsea as equals, I've also seen us play Chorley, Dover, King's Lynn, Weymouth and Maidstone as equals. I think I've had the full package, good and bad in equal measures seeing as we're back where I started.

Whatever the level, I'll be in my seat at Meadow Lane as long as I'm physically capable.
    That is a simiar time scale to me... except moving away from Nottingham in the early 90's has meant my attendance has been patchy.

209 - That's a lot. It would be interesting to find out how many games the top European teams , Real, Liverpool ect have played. Thanks upthemaggies!

My first visit to Meadow Lane was as an 8 year old in 1959 with my dad, most of my friends were Forest fans and although my dad took me across the river on the odd occasion I didn’t enjoy it, mainly because not being very big I couldn’t always see the game.
    I saw Notts get promoted and play in what is now the championship but due to personal reasons I never saw them play in the top flight. I fell out with football for a time until a work mate persuaded me to go with him on the night we beat Spurs 3-0 in the league cup and got hooked again and have been going ever since.

My allegience began in 1953, 6 year old, my Grandfather & Father introduced me to Meadow Lane,vague memories from those times, although i will never forget being passed down to the front on head & shoulders , then safely returned. I have seen Tommy Lawton play, although i have no reccolection of it.Along came 59' & Tony Hateley, that was when i went on my own, what a player, what a hero. I used to wait for the number 57 bus at Daybrook Square, knew a couple of players would be on it, top deck having a fag, there they were. It used to be a full Saturday out, Notts then on to the Panthers in my panthers Jacket, torment itchy-coo a little, make him chase me up Parliament Street, didnt get home till very late Saturday nights, halycon days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12