+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Match ratings vs Donny

A great team performance and for all the posters saying those asking for a plan "B" are stupid, today (and Stockport) was the plan "B" asked for. The same possession based approach but faster and not so predictable!! Spot on Notts. Top marks LW!

I think the ratings given are pretty accurate - everyone played well.

A few things that caught my eye were:

Cameron lost the ball twice doing dragbacks on the edge of their box which led to us being countered twice, one of them I think led indirectly to the penalty attack. That could've been significant on another day, however I was very pleased to see we varied up our corners a bit to take advantage of his heading ability (the best part of his game IMO) which will obviously not work every time but if we keep him loitering on the edge of the box and give him something to attack every 1 in 5 corners that will keep people guessing and bear fruit sooner or later.

Yesterday was mostly about the mesmerising attacking play, but Baldwin was almost impeccable. There was one risky pass near the end which didn't come off but it was far from a brain fart, and for the rest of the game he was alert, purposeful and decisive. There's a saying that the devil makes work for idle hands, and I think the devil also makes work for Baldwin's brain when he hasn't got a clear idea of what he wants to do. Somebody wrote recently that he is wasting his talent, and that was true at the time, but in the last two games we have seen peak Baldwin and it really is a sight to behold. A player that can surely grow with us as we hopefully move up the leagues.

Nothing I can say about Crowley that hasn't already been said. Remarkable performance.

McGoldrick can seem to drift in and out of games but my word, when he's on form and on the ball he has some sublime skills and football intelligence.

Langstaff is not quite as lethal as we know he can be but he has been deprived of chances in the recent poor run of performances. Seems to be much happier getting on the ball more in his new role and I imagine his finishing will improve now that he's more involved and in the thick of the action more often.

I don't want to simplify things too much but the positional changes up front in an attacking sense seem to be secondary to the fact that we now have nipper and more skilful players dropping deeper to start attacks, solving the problem of not being able to get out.

Anticlough suggested dropping Crowley further back and this has happened (he has taken possession very deep straight from the defense a few times in the last 2 games) but other players have done it too - Bostock has popped up actually in the back 3 as we are playing out more times this week than I can remember seeing before, and Langstaff and Austin have made themselves available much deeper. Speed and constant running make such a difference, and JoB just doesn't offer that, despite his grit and determination.

During the bad run we were just not in games at all. We couldn't get going and never really had a foothold in games. Apart from being utterly boring to watch, it was depressing because you knew that sooner or later we would make a mistake or get picked off.

After the performance against Stockport I was confident we would win today, and injuries permitting (Crowley in a soft padded cryochamber between games?) I am confident our bad spell is over now and we won't have another run like that this season.

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    A great team performance and for all the posters saying those asking for a plan "B" are stupid, today (and Stockport) was the plan "B" asked for. The same possession based approach but faster and not so predictable!! Spot on Notts. Top marks LW!
    So it's Plan A, but faster and not so predictable! A+

Prime plan A yesterday apart from Brindley doing the diving shrew, Cameron passing to their player who said thanks, cut in and hit the post and stone who decided to dribble past their forward.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiPie View Post
    So it's Plan A, but faster and not so predictable! A+
    A+ will do if that's what makes you satisfied but whatever you want to call it, it was a change in setup and approach.

In the space of 14 days from the 20th of Jan to the 3rd of Feb we play Stockport (H) Barrow (H) and Mansfield (A) back to back... if we are still up and around the playoffs or auto spots by then I think we will be ok... 5 points from that horrible list would be amazing 👏

Quote Originally Posted by irish_pie View Post
    In the space of 14 days from the 20th of Jan to the 3rd of Feb we play Stockport (H) Barrow (H) and Mansfield (A) back to back... if we are still up and around the playoffs or auto spots by then I think we will be ok... 5 points from that horrible list would be amazing 👏
    I can see us beating Stockport and Barrow at the Lane. Mansfield away is a very tough match though, would be pleasantly surprised if we come away with anything from that!

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    I can see us beating Stockport and Barrow at the Lane. Mansfield away is a very tough match though, would be pleasantly surprised if we come away with anything from that!
    A draw at Mansfailed would be like a win... wouldn't it be amazing if we turned them over on their own patch

I don't want to simplify things too much but the positional changes up front in an attacking sense seem to be secondary to the fact that we now have nippier and more skilful players dropping deeper to start attacks, solving the problem of not being able to get out.
    You have to be impressed so far with LW's creative solution to a very real problem - the collapse of our midfield. Half of the solution is the return to 90mins full fitness of Johnny B. The second half is the 3 pronged terrier line up of Crowley/Langstaff/Austin, all with license to come deep as required. Completely over the top, but it does remind you of a EFL, lower league take on the great Spain team with Iniesta, Silva, Mata, Fabregas, Villa, Xavi etc. L2 teams won't enjoy game planning against those three with JB behind them, Didzy ahead and JJ and AN either side. Maybe there wasn't any other solution to the midfield crisis but to go even more attacking (starting at Stockport of all places) says a lot about LW

Yesterday was mostly about the mesmerising attacking play, but Baldwin was almost impeccable. There was one risky pass near the end which didn't come off but it was far from a brain fart, and for the rest of the game he was alert, purposeful and decisive. There's a saying that the devil makes work for idle hands, and I think the devil also makes work for Baldwin's brain when he hasn't got a clear idea of what he wants to do. Somebody wrote recently that he is wasting his talent, and that was true at the time, but in the last two games we have seen peak Baldwin and it really is a sight to behold. A player that can surely grow with us as we hopefully move up the leagues.
    I think you need to join the Aden Baldwin Appreciation Society sharpish (before the next mistake lol). When he's on song, he's such a great player for us. Others, given the chance, would have banished him forever and might still, so those ABAS members are sorely needed to tell it how it is - he's right up there with our very best players.

Quote Originally Posted by maddogslater View Post
    Prime plan A yesterday apart from Brindley doing the diving shrew, Cameron passing to their player who said thanks, cut in and hit the post and stone who decided to dribble past their forward.
    Do I detect some negativity in you comment?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast