+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy Sir Charlie Palmer Day

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I'm at the stage now where this anniversary upsets me, it's just become shrouded by the unreasonable amount of time since we last met them for a league clash. 30 years!!!! Christ almighty.
    Off the top of my head, the longest gap prior to that (leaving aside war time) was 15 years and the other gaps much less than that, often as a result of them dropping below us, not us below them.

Charlie Palmer though, what a player to have in your side, he gets remembered for that goal now but he was as solid a full back as you could wish for.
    I was the one who sent a message to Paul Mace on Magpie Circle last night about this and he said it was a bit upsetting that it's 30 years as well.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    I was the one who sent a message to Paul Mace on Magpie Circle last night about this and he said it was a bit upsetting that it's 30 years as well.
    I've mentioned this before, but I think it's the most revealing Notts County stat of all - in terms of what we're really about and have become - that there's only 5 clubs out of 144 that we've played more league games against than Fword. That just tells you how closely tied together we were for so very long. I just hope that faint trace is still strong enough in the DNA to restore some sort of parity once again at some point.

This anniversary, one of its' more significant laps at 30, hasn't arrived at a great time. Sometimes things like this come up and you think, "those days are coming back soon", but right now..... ducking hell.

I've mentioned this before, but I think it's the most revealing Notts County stat of all - in terms of what we're really about and have become - that there's only 5 clubs out of 144 that we've played more league games against than Fword. That just tells you how closely tied together we were for so very long. I just hope that faint trace is still strong enough in the DNA to restore some sort of parity once again at some point.

This anniversary, one of its' more significant laps at 30, hasn't arrived at a great time. Sometimes things like this come up and you think, "those days are coming back soon", but right now..... ducking hell.
    At the 10 year and 20 year anniversary we were just one division below, in fact I remember buying the book they bought out at 10 years but can't for the life of me remember where I put it, I haven't seen it for years and I know I didn't chuck it.

It's all very sad isn't it, we've really had such a bad run of it since then.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    Sad indeed, and sad also that's it's just become so normal to be rubbish. It's now normal to struggle against Mansfield - assuming they're not a division above us.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    Notts are really bringing me down at the moment, I can't even post on a thread about Charlie Palmer day without darkening the mood.

Football is a rollercoaster but the ups this century have been sharp, steep and very brief whilst the the lows have been long, drawn out and sickly.

Feel very apprehensive we're about to embark on yet another endless dip or plateau. There's still that sense of relief that we're back in the FL but that won't last much longer.

Could really do with a win tonight. When you need them most, three points often do come where you least expect them.

Remember it like it was yesterday
    What a great day
    Awesome player & team
    We’ve got Charlie Palmer, he smokes……..

I did think those times maybe returning when we were top earlier in the season, but the tide has turned again and on it's way out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12