+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Notts County Players you would like to share a pint with (or have done)

Esp against Man City in FA Cup - one of the best Notts matches of all time

I used to regularly sit with Gerry Carver and do the quiz n The Flying Horse in Arnold on a Sunday and he was a great person to chat to,he would talk about his days at Notts but not in a big headed way,just nice reminisces

Cherry said it was the best game of his career

Had a chat and drink with Phil Turner ( another legend ) at the old Arnold Town ground in centre of Arnold. He used to frequent there. Also had a chat with Jimmy Sirrel and few players from the Big Sam squad after I bagged a ticket for the celebration ceremony in the council house overlooking all the Notts fans in market square. I still pinch myself and wonder how that happened.

Blagged a ticket

Had a couple of drinks with the great Tony Hateley in Preston,he was my hero,a few years later he became ill.
    Also used to sit with Tommy Lawton in Oakleigh Lodge on Highbury Vale.

Quote Originally Posted by MapperleyMagpie View Post
    Had a chat and drink with Phil Turner ( another legend ) at the old Arnold Town ground in centre of Arnold. He used to frequent there. Also had a chat with Jimmy Sirrel and few players from the Big Sam squad after I bagged a ticket for the celebration ceremony in the council house overlooking all the Notts fans in market square. I still pinch myself and wonder how that happened.
    Brilliant captain

Agreed , PT was an excellent captain. Shame he didn't get a testimonial match like Millsy. Probably a clause in his contract when Gary returned.
    When I started as a ref I had a night game at Hempshill Vale v Lowdham Grange in the Notts Amateur League.
    Gerry Carver & Bob McKinlay were team managers and GC requested we turned straight round at HT because of lock up times at Lowdham Borstal.
    I played Sunday morning football and Tony Hateley's BIL played for the same team . TH was with Liverpool at the time and came to watch most of our home games , practicing keepy- upper on the touchline.
    I was also a joint founder of a youth FC and was pleased to have many Notts players as guest presenters . Geoff Pike, Iain McC , Drapes , Mick Leonard , Phil Turner , Dean Yates and Paul Riley spring to mind.
    Dean Yates often at Ilson on Saturdays to watch Matt playing in goal.

Back in the 70s many of the squad would head for Jacky Bells in Netherfield for a late drink after away games, I was lucky enough to be in with John & Pat who ran the pub so often shared a pint & a game of darts with Stubsy & co, happy days. COUP

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast