+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: ⚽Match Thread vs. Crewe Alexandra FC 24.02.24 [EFL L2]

Tuesday is big for Maynard as a loss is not an option for him.

My worry is there is no pattern of play or clear game plan under him.

If we fimish 17-18th we should sack him it might be harsh but we cant be going into next season with a negative frame of mind.

I hope he turns it around I really do but im worried about him being honest.

Just reading how since Mike Williamson was appointed MK Dons have picked up more points than anyone else. Amazing what some new managers can achieve…

Quote Originally Posted by WarsopPie View Post
    I’m struggling to come to terms how you can even mention Bostock and Morias in the same sentence.
    Morias and Chicksen and Toby yes but Bostock is a level above all them 3.
    Another armchair fan
    I've seen pretty much every game this season. Bostock has been a passenger for months with very occasional flirtations of being better. Its frustrating as he has the potential. But I would be letting him go at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post

If we fimish 17-18th we should sack him it might be harsh but we cant be going into next season with a negative frame of mind.

I think, if Notts sacked him tomorrow, his next job would be more likely to be a BT engineer rather than a league 2 manager. We are in deep trouble. I'm sure not a popular opinion, but we are all entitled to our thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Looking ahead to next season, we’ve already got too many players under contract who aren’t good enough for a promotion-chasing side: Morias, Randall, Chicksen, Rawlinson, Cameron, Nemane, Stone, Slocombe. Bostock isn’t worth a new contract, sadly. Scott and Baj are unproven at this level and hard to know if they will/should get new contracts. And Baldwin is out of contract and I can see others coming in for him. A big summer coming up for Richard Montague.
    Hopefully not a big summer for Maynard.

The problems we caused for ourselves against Crewe were all of our own making and we lost regardless of the formation, tactics or substitutions in my opinion. It was a failure of the out of possession play for me as was the case long before SM came into the building. We are far too passive without the ball and have been all season. We have to dominate possession and control the game to counter act this weakness.

The first goal was a short corner with nobody closing down the space and giving the attacker too much time from the edge of the box to have a shot. It gets worse from there though as not one single player tried to do anything to stop it. Where was the head on it? Where was the keeper save? It was a carbon copy of the Mansfield goal but from the other side. Compare this to Crewe who got a head or something on the end of the numerous crosses and there were a lot from Jodi Jones into their box.

The second goal was a mix up between Baldwin and Bostock who both went for the same ball but didn’t get it which left a 1v1 with the keeper. So that’s a communication break down between two players. It was a classic keeper being beat and bringing the man down much like Stone on the opening day against Sutton.

At this point you are 0-2 down against a side in the top four and so you’ve left yourself a mountain to climb and confidence drops as a result of the errors. At home it’s going to make the crowd frustrated and annoyed (which I was) because you are not behind due to quality of the opposition. You’ve played yourself into trouble by making mistakes. It then snowballs because you are left chasing the game.

This thread shows sadly despite these errors Stuart Maynard is on a hiding to nothing with some supporters and they had made their minds up before he stepped foot in the door it wasn’t going to work. I feel for him and hope he can get a win on Tuesday at home at least.

Thankfully the one thing that we have compared to the past is owners who will not be reactive and will take a calm and measured approach and learn from this season. For me it’s having the Ravenhill and Bishops the spoilers as I’ve referred to them as. The aggressive ball winners that we have been missing and those who do the less technical work but vit.ally important breaking up of the oppositions play. We need that from the back line as well and some heads on sticks like the Crewe defenders to deal with these high balls and crosses coming into our box. A bit of balance.

iFollow just wasn't working well on my TV last night. Switched to laptop at half time but it was buffering like crazy. So this is what I got from watching through a letterbox and missing half the action.

You dominate possession in two ways: aggressively winning the ball back all over the park, or playing it around your defence. The latter is fine if the opposition is compact and you're trying to move them out of position and there was a little evidence of that, but not much. The former... we just seem to forget.

They had three players on Jones whenever he had the ball and somehow we weren't able to play out from that. You'd think we'd be able to take advantage but that we weren't suggests we really became a one-trick team.

I had high hopes from SM but I'm really worried right now that the players neither know what to do under his systems, nor trust him to get things right.

We've scored six goals since he was appointed. In the two matches before, we scored seven (yielding only a single point of course). In those two matches we conceded nine, under him we've conceded ten. And Newport apart, we just don't look that exciting to watch now. I actually thought there were a surprising number of incisive passes through midfield yesterday - but not once did I feel confident that there was a goal coming as a result of them. And I'm not even conflicted that I'm going to sleep through the Sutton game. This team should be far too talented for me to find myself losing interest in actually watching them.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    League 2 football is absolute garbage and Notts County have players like Macaulay Langstaff, David Mcgoldrick, Jodi Jones and Dan Crowley yet are in the bottom half of the table. It is scarcely believable.
    Well we wasn't, we were in the playoffs and performing wonderful stuff on and off pitch.

Are there some chickens coming home on the back of 442?

These are the same players and a strengthend squad. I hope that Maynard can pull it round but he still seems out of his depth and for the first time this season, we have some real problems.

Dressing room wandering toward lost, fans starting to turn. Hopefully a couple of good results can stabilise but problems resulting from managerial change. Huge fan of LW and very sad he left but someone needs to step up.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Just reading how since Mike Williamson was appointed MK Dons have picked up more points than anyone else. Amazing what some new managers can achieve…
    Pretty sure we would have been in for him had LW left a bit earlier.

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast