+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 25 of 127 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer rumour thread 19/20

Definetly need a 20+ goals a season striker so I wouldn't be giving Shankland much longer to consider the offer!

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Surely to **** we're not saying we are happy going into the season with Clark & Sow as our main strike options here? Jesus wept. Sow was absolutely chronic whenever he played and Clark is just Clark. He's not actually that good & won't get any better. Regardless, two strikers isn't enough.
    I think Sow is going to be a big player for us next season. Unless we sign Shankland I'd be pretty surprised us he wasn't our first choice up top.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    I think Sow is going to be a big player for us next season. Unless we sign Shankland I'd be pretty surprised us he wasn't our first choice up top.
    Based on what we've seen that is utterly mental.

(Because you can only base it on what we've seen not what ifs)
    Last edited by stokearab; 28-06-2019 at 03:01 PM.

I thought he played really well in the games he started late in the season.

I thought he played really well in the games he started late in the season.
    He showed flashes. His goal v ICT was well taken at the ET end. But 50% of the posters on here voted that they didn't want him in a United shirt!

But 50% said they did. 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    Nothing per se. Doesn't it depend on the strength of the opposition and the tactics they employ?

Most teams are playing 4-2-3-1 at the moment, which, if the 3 are energetic enough can give you five players in a central area. You sacrifice a bit of width but, with fit players it gives you an edge in midfield.

Even a 4-4-2 with wide guys tucking in is still outnumbered in there.

If you're stronger than the opposition and can get the ball wide regularly and effectively then maybe that's not so important, but Championship midfielders are all much-of-a-muchness and if we don't roll up our sleeves and battle then you're gonna have two strikers sitting up top with nothing to do bar chase long balls.

The manager's job as I'd see it is to figure out what the other team is doing and lay his team out as best as possible to counter it. Sometimes that'll be 4-4-2 , but I think the professional game is played with such a degree of technical scrutiny these days that any team that insists on playing one formation dogmatically is not gonna go very far.
    as someones already mentioned 4-2-3-1 worked for us with JMAC as we had the players for it to work, we dont have the players now though, i strongly believe we have the players for a 4-4-2. Agree its the managers job to change things to suit playing against the other team but all his time in charge its been this horrendous 4-2-3-1 formation. Guess we fall in the that category of one formation as you've said...

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Surely to **** we're not saying we are happy going into the season with Clark & Sow as our main strike options here? Jesus wept. Sow was absolutely chronic whenever he played and Clark is just Clark. He's not actually that good & won't get any better. Regardless, two strikers isn't enough.
    disagree clark was never played as no.9, scored good goals for us and was out for a spell with injury. Play him as no.9 see how he does. We wont though...

But 50% said they did. ��
    I am sick and tired of referendums. Is he in, or is he out?

Both Sow and Clark were struggling to stay fit, so experience would say we can't rely on those two alone.

Page 25 of 127 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)