+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 25 of 40 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Tony Asghar

I find the whole vitriol around Ashgar a bit confusing tbh, he doesn't stir particular emotions in me either way, I just don't see from a football sense what it is based on, a lot of it seems to be based on hearsay, and he's fat, a hun, and the scientifically proven 'I just don't trust him.' For those of us not in the know, quite happy just to let him get on with the job quietly in the background and judge him on the football. Europe's a bonus this year, I think we are progressing as a club, on the pitch we are probably not a huge improvement on last season, but just consolidating in the league a second season is progress after 4 seasons in the Chumpionship. If we had finished bottom 6 I'm sure it would have been used against Courts/Ashgar.

I think some people have just gone all in at the start with the criticism of Courts/Ashgar to extent that it gets hard to retract that, and I'm sure slightest slip will see criticism quickly mount again. It was getting stupid at start of season with people starting to mock Courts accent/shoes. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't actually mind listening to him. The other thing that always strikes me people criticise him for having no experience (top level at least), and the laptop stuff that gets thrown out there - there wont be a manager from Dick Campbell to Guardiola that doesn't use all this data etc... I also think to myself if your of the opinion that you have to have top flight experience to manage and understand football at the top level, does that negate our opinions? I bet there are plenty of fans out there who would have a better understanding of football than plenty of managers (and numpty commentators like steve Craigan to name but one). A lot gets seen through the narrative as well that Courts is an inexperienced coach, i.e any time we get beat its written off by some as being that his lack of experience has seen him outsmarted. We finished top of a pile of dung heap, so what does that say about the other managers. Managers just get it wrong sometimes with tactics, regardless of experience.

Not saying all is rosy in the garden by any means, the football is eye bleeding, but i just think it's a long process to turn the ship around after 6 years relegation, chumpionship and covid. The big thing as ever will be getting the recruitment right, and fingers crossed some more young guys can establish themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTaway View Post
    I find the whole vitriol around Ashgar a bit confusing tbh, he doesn't stir particular emotions in me either way, I just don't see from a football sense what it is based on, a lot of it seems to be based on hearsay, and he's fat, a hun, and the scientifically proven 'I just don't trust him.' For those of us not in the know, quite happy just to let him get on with the job quietly in the background and judge him on the football. Europe's a bonus this year, I think we are progressing as a club, on the pitch we are probably not a huge improvement on last season, but just consolidating in the league a second season is progress after 4 seasons in the Chumpionship. If we had finished bottom 6 I'm sure it would have been used against Courts/Ashgar.

I think some people have just gone all in at the start with the criticism of Courts/Ashgar to extent that it gets hard to retract that, and I'm sure slightest slip will see criticism quickly mount again. It was getting stupid at start of season with people starting to mock Courts accent/shoes. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't actually mind listening to him. The other thing that always strikes me people criticise him for having no experience (top level at least), and the laptop stuff that gets thrown out there - there wont be a manager from Dick Campbell to Guardiola that doesn't use all this data etc... I also think to myself if your of the opinion that you have to have top flight experience to manage and understand football at the top level, does that negate our opinions? I bet there are plenty of fans out there who would have a better understanding of football than plenty of managers (and numpty commentators like steve Craigan to name but one). A lot gets seen through the narrative as well that Courts is an inexperienced coach, i.e any time we get beat its written off by some as being that his lack of experience has seen him outsmarted. We finished top of a pile of dung heap, so what does that say about the other managers. Managers just get it wrong sometimes with tactics, regardless of experience.

Not saying all is rosy in the garden by any means, the football is eye bleeding, but i just think it's a long process to turn the ship around after 6 years relegation, chumpionship and covid. The big thing as ever will be getting the recruitment right, and fingers crossed some more young guys can establish themselves.
    Good post

Still don't trust him as far as i could throw him.Its amazing how clouded some posters memories have got with that 4th place finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    I think hatred is a strong word but I get how some would be wary of him,especially seeing non playing staff leave in the manner they have since his arrival and some like Gordon Grady and the hospo volunteer guy both with over 2 decades of service to the club leaving with a parting shot at how the club is being run away from the football side. Add to that Paul Reid and the lassie from the office both leaving too with multiple years at the club and there's probably more.

I won't read the interview as I never do because I can never make out whether they are being sincere or its just spin but I won't judge him as I've never met him. Let's be honest here though we could easily have finished in the bottom 6 and things wouldn't look so rosey, a 5hite Aiburdeen and the nosedive of a Martin Boyleless Hibs meant we did though.....and a great defence and goalie too of course👏
    Hauled up by a mod for your very fair comments,i will probably receive crucifixion for mine but i still remember the nepotism and lies about exciting candidates last summer.The "I could not give a phuck what you did in the 80's".late night Twitter spat.The Hospo incident with a fan and his "Were you happy watching that?" then serving it all up again.

Its only fair i bring a bit of balance to the recent posts which are gushing to the extreme.

On the whole 80s thing, I can get it in a way, it shouldn't be what we look at solely anymore to compare with today, it's such a different era, pre money, less strong teams and leagues overall in Europe, less gulf between big and small clubs

We should look more to the good things we did in the 2007-2015 era and try to replicate the positives from them as its more like today

To be fair some fans can be idiots and if they were having a go at him he might react, he isn't a robot, hard to tell who was right or wrong

And no way was this season worse than last on the eye, its still a lot of stuff that wasn't great to watch but for me way better overall, plus our results against the top six was promising (save for Hearts) and set up much better in Glasgow against the big two and overall, hence them dropping 9pts to us between them and scoring just 10 in 8 games against us

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post

And no way was this season worse than last on the eye

I never actually said it was worse mate i said it was just as bad to watch as last season which i stand by.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    Still don't trust him as far as i could throw him.Its amazing how clouded some posters memories have got with that 4th place finish.
    I just don't get it. What do you think hes up to? Lining his pockets? Deliberately destroying us from the inside out?

Credit yes for getting us up, keeping us up and into Europe, but asides from the top 3, the quality in this league is shyte, it was tight but the truth is we finished 4th cos we were less shyte than the rest, not because we were better.
    Those that judge how good we are based on league position are delighted, those who judge on performance and entertainment, me included, are still a bit meh
    I don't remember many games where we didnt struggle to scrape the draw or the win. But for a couple of results here or there, we could easily have been bottom 6 with no Europe.
    We wont last long in Europe with this team and these levels of performance. Will that set the tone for the rest of the season and we end up in a struggle? Who knows, but without decent signings I admit I do worry that we will could end up bottom 6.
    If, going by all the back slapping, Tony is doing his job, then finishing top 4 should make it easier to attract a decent quality of player.
    Using Tony and Mark's words, their plan was to ensure we are in the mix for trophies, for that to happen I would expect to be watching more games where we dominate and win convincingly.
    This team have proven they aren't capable of that yet, if Tony is going to achieve the objectives he set, then he needs to get busy.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    Hauled up by a mod for your very fair comments,i will probably receive crucifixion for mine but i still remember the nepotism and lies about exciting candidates last summer.The "I could not give a phuck what you did in the 80's".late night Twitter spat.The Hospo incident with a fan and his "Were you happy watching that?" then serving it all up again.

Its only fair i bring a bit of balance to the recent posts which are gushing to the extreme.
    Yip,it was great getting 4th and I said in a previous post a few weeks ago that where you finish in the league is where you deserve to be so at the end of the day we DID deserve to finish there but I was glad Tel reminded me the we finished 4th as I'd forgot about that🤔my point being was that we could easily have finished 7th or lower if the teams below us gained a few more points here and there. It would also be great if the hospo volunteer guy that fkd off because of TAs regime was looking in on here after being told during his 20 odd years as a VOLUNTEER he deserved to go as he was getting too comfy in his job and didn't have the desire or the fire in his belly to do better. He'll be laughing his tits aff at that ane👍

Quote Originally Posted by A. J View Post
    Credit yes for getting us up, keeping us up and into Europe, but asides from the top 3, the quality in this league is shyte, it was tight but the truth is we finished 4th cos we were less shyte than the rest, not because we were better.
    Those that judge how good we are based on league position are delighted, those who judge on performance and entertainment, me included, are still a bit meh
    I don't remember many games where we didnt struggle to scrape the draw or the win. But for a couple of results here or there, we could easily have been bottom 6 with no Europe.
    We wont last long in Europe with this team and these levels of performance. Will that set the tone for the rest of the season and we end up in a struggle? Who knows, but without decent signings I admit I do worry that we will could end up bottom 6.
    If, going by all the back slapping, Tony is doing his job, then finishing top 4 should make it easier to attract a decent quality of player.
    Using Tony and Mark's words, their plan was to ensure we are in the mix for trophies, for that to happen I would expect to be watching more games where we dominate and win convincingly.
    This team have proven they aren't capable of that yet, if Tony is going to achieve the objectives he set, then he needs to get busy.
    Good post.

Page 25 of 40 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)