+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: Transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Claret View Post
    After our summer transfer window, I was hopeful we were on the right tracks with Collins, Cornet and Roberts being recruited.
    Unfortunately, our on the field performances have not lived up to what I had hoped for up to the opening of the January transfer window.
    Like most fans of Burnley football club I hoped that we would see at least one player coming in to bolster our midfield which has looked particularly over run so far this season.
    Once the transfer window opened the first thing to surprise me was that Newcastle were prepared to offer £25M for Chris Wood, but that offer triggered his release clause so if he decided the grass was greener on Tyneside there was little BFC could do about it.
    It does appear that for most of the January transfer window we have seen little to no activity on the surface. Although I have no idea of what was happening in the background, but based on results it does seem that we had no plan “B”, which does not surprise me one bit.
    We have replaced Wood with Weghorst which to me appears to be a like for like replacement, but Weghorst is untried in the premier league and I look forward to seeing what he as to offer, that is if he is not warming the bench.
    I find what happened with Orsic hard to understand, apparently we agreed a fee with the club and personal terms with the player, then both had a change of mind, yet we had no other options being considered.
    Why do BFC find it so hard to attract player, some say it because the town is run down, but as they mainly live in rural Cheshire I think this is a lame excuse.
    Some players may be reluctant to come and play the style of football we now find our club associated with and I can appreciate that as I too am reluctant to continue to watch that style.
    I thing the main reason we fail to attract player is down to money.

Overall I feel this has been an exceptionally poor transfer window and I am not convinced that there is any ambition to remain in the premier league.
    Collins, Cornet, Roberts & Weghorst are four very decent acquisitions since August. It's impossible to claim Pace is not trying to boost the squad.

The Orsic fiasco was not our fault. We got led up the garden path and EUFA need to kick someone's arse.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Collins, Cornet, Roberts & Weghorst are four very decent acquisitions since August. It's impossible to claim Pace is not trying to boost the squad.

The Orsic fiasco was not our fault. We got led up the garden path and EUFA need to kick someone's arse.
    We have not strengthened the very area that has needed strengthening for four seasons.No two ways about it-we are going down.This is not Pace`s fault.The damage was done long before but the inept recruitment seems to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post

There is no way I was claiming that Pace was not trying to improve our playing squad.

My main problem with this transfer window is that we have not brought in any one to strengthen our midfield and god knows we needed somebody.

Our recruitment policy appears to be that we identify a single player we would like to bring in and spend the complete window in pursuing that individual, yet as the window closes we have made no progress since we did not have anyone else lined up when that target failed to materialise.

I agree that Wehorst seems to be an improvement on Wood based on his scoring record but we will see if he can maintain that given the style of football we play.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Claret View Post
    There is no way I was claiming that Pace was not trying to improve our playing squad.

My main problem with this transfer window is that we have not brought in any one to strengthen our midfield and god knows we needed somebody.

Our recruitment policy appears to be that we identify a single player we would like to bring in and spend the complete window in pursuing that individual, yet as the window closes we have made no progress since we did not have anyone else lined up when that target failed to materialise.

I agree that Wehorst seems to be an improvement on Wood based on his scoring record but we will see if he can maintain that given the style of football we play.
    Exactly the mail on the head , we did not address the elephant in the room and as you say it was central midfield and width that to the masses is so blatantly obvious so why not to BFC , I appreciate the Orsic situation but did we just have the one option.

I don’t expect us to be spending multiples of millions in every window but the writing is on the wall for us and we STILL didn’t do enough to recruit the extra two bodies required for survival we can all say we tried and to be fair to a point we did - but as in most transfer windows for many years we didn’t do enough.

Lets face it... Good quality players do not fancy playing for Burnley. We have a 'Hoof Ball' reputation and look like we might be relegated this season. Not a very attractive option......

"I find what happened with Orsic hard to understand, apparently we agreed a fee with the club and personal terms with the player, then both had a change of mind,"

If you do a bit of research into the history of football and Ultras in the former Yugoslavia VC, it becomes more understandable. The Dinamo Ultras, the BBB, are not just some fella-lads after a bit of aggro on a Saturday afternoon, while they might have some youthful hangers on, they have a hard core base who are virtually paramilitaries. When these gentlemen request that you stay at their club, it would take a very brave or very foolish man who ignored them, moved abroad and left his family behind.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/05/13/...-started-a-war

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    "I find what happened with Orsic hard to understand, apparently we agreed a fee with the club and personal terms with the player, then both had a change of mind,"

If you do a bit of research into the history of football and Ultras in the former Yugoslavia VC, it becomes more understandable. The Dinamo Ultras, the BBB, are not just some fella-lads after a bit of aggro on a Saturday afternoon, while they might have some youthful hangers on, they have a hard core base who are virtually paramilitaries. When these gentlemen request that you stay at their club, it would take a very brave or very foolish man who ignored them, moved abroad and left his family behind.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/05/13/...-started-a-war
    Serious $hit is that sinkov, no wonder Johnny decided to stay at home.

Other teams have fared even less well than us...

https://www.theguardian.com/football...gue-club-fared

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Matelot View Post
    Lets face it... Good quality players do not fancy playing for Burnley. We have a 'Hoof Ball' reputation and look like we might be relegated this season. Not a very attractive option......
    Posted before there is no way on gods earth that there aren’t players who want to put themselves in the shop window at Burnley even if it’s for a short period of time, anyone who’s a footballer wants to play in the land of milk and honey - I appreciate we can’t get them all and some are out of our bracket.
    But there are others who identify players and get them in from lower leagues / Europe and further afield nurture them - benefit from them and sell them.
    Posted this before Brentford similar club to us and yet they keep finding little gems of players.

Imo anyway it’s not good enough.

Wouldn’t we or shouldn’t have we been eyeing up a midfielder before this window had even started ? If we can see the need for a midfielder, then surely the management can aswell ? We’ve needed a midfielder or two since the season started. It’s not something that’s just come to light, after all. This is what makes it more unbelievable.

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)