+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: ⚽ Match Thread vs. Mansfield Town FC 14.10.23 [EFL L2]

Quote Originally Posted by hissingdwarf View Post
    The biggest issue for me is the fact that we’ve seen it coming. How many times will posters have to keep typing “ we all know about our defensive issues” or “our defensive frailties “?
    Not a knee jerk reaction, but the lack of a plan B is a worry. Week in, week out, our defence always looks frail. So change it! Move to a flatter back 4 if needed. Do something to alleviate the pressure we regularly put ourselves under.

We’ve learnt to accept the passing back routine, but for christs sake, “our defence has mistakes in ‘em” is another regular.

Honestly think Cameron wouldn’t have made any difference at all today. In fact, I’d go as far as to say he would have made it worse. Rawlinson was probably the only man who came out of the game with a shred of dignity. He looked strong, he looked incisive with his passes and, most importantly, he moved the ball forwards when he had grass in front of him.
    Brindley and Baldwin were so willing to keep the little triangles going and invite pressure they couldn’t deal with. Thought Baldwin made some great tackles today, but he embarrasses himself moaning about lack of options and forgets he’s got the bloody ball at his feet!

Everyone acknowledges LW did a fantastic job last season and has galvanised the club, but on a few occasions this season, I’m putting the blame at his door. Training should be designed to iron out errors. Formations should be able to change when needed. Substitutions should change the game.
    If none of the above is happening, then we’re likely to keep conceding by large margins.

Yes, when we’re on it, we cut through teams like a knife, but we also spend large parts of games going backwards.

Sometimes the old stuff works. Ask Mansfield about their corner routines…compared to our short corner every time and it invariably going back to the half way or even deeper,

The small squad routine and siege mentality hasn’t helped. We need a better balance of recruitment and a big heading on the sheet of paper…
    Must be tall, physically imposing and competitive…
    Absolutely spot on... But i wouldn't hold your breath.

I do not think mansfield will finish top, i think Stockport and Wrexham will be top 2, its the 3rd place up for grabs in my opinion
    I Think Mansfield were very fortunate they played Stockport when they did, Stockport had a shaky start but have since won 7 on the bounce, no way Mansfield would beat them now in my opinion
    We do not know how stags will play against teams in the bottom half, there own supporters say they like teams that are near the top that attack them, i still think they will lose soon to a team near the bottom - and i will laugh my head of when they do
    Mansfield have now been in L2 for 7 or 8 years and have still not got to league 1, this is our first season back at this level- i predict a top 7 finish for us , as top 3 although possible maybe is a step to far ??
    I stand by the fact we will get to league 1 in a quicker time than Mansfield , and ultimately in the meduim term will be in a higher division than them

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    I do not think mansfield will finish top, i think Stockport and Wrexham will be top 2, its the 3rd place up for grabs in my opinion
    I Think Mansfield were very fortunate they played Stockport when they did, Stockport had a shaky start but have since won 7 on the bounce, no way Mansfield would beat them now in my opinion
    We do not know how stags will play against teams in the bottom half, there own supporters say they like teams that are near the top that attack them, i still think they will lose soon to a team near the bottom - and i will laugh my head of when they do
    Mansfield have now been in L2 for 7 or 8 years and have still not got to league 1, this is our first season back at this level- i predict a top 7 finish for us , as top 3 although possible maybe is a step to far ??
    I stand by the fact we will get to league 1 in a quicker time than Mansfield , and ultimately in the meduim term will be in a higher division than them
    There's more pressure on Mansfield than most - if not all clubs - to go up this season. That may work against them as we go into the business end of the season.

Longer term, other than Bradford City, Wrexham and maybe Stockport, the pressure will be on Notts. Certainly if we maintain anything close to the gates we've been getting at this level since Hardy took over. There's no excuse to be hanging around in L2 season after season when you're averaging top 3 crowds and upwards of 3k more than two thirds of the division.

It's impossible to gloss over our shortcomings defensively. They have been there even through last season despite some refusing to see it.
    However, LW is not going to change how we play and we cannot change the personnel currently.
    Radar must have the stats, but do The Bros have the desire to address this in January?
    None of our defenders could be classed as ball players so defensive qualities need to be a priority, but none of them are particularly strong in reading the game or making challenges.
    There are hundreds of players who could play the sideways or backward pass that we do. Even at 61 I'm sure I could make the majority of pass completions Notts defenders do.
    None of the defenders play any incisive balls that change the game. Therefore replacing all of them with defenders who "relish" defending is paramount. It is a specific quality that none of our defenders have.
    We still may not have any decisive balls but we wouldn't collapse like a deck of cards

Quote Originally Posted by BJPIE View Post
    It's impossible to gloss over our shortcomings defensively. They have been there even through last season despite some refusing to see it.
    However, LW is not going to change how we play and we cannot change the personnel currently.
    Radar must have the stats, but do The Bros have the desire to address this in January?
    None of our defenders could be classed as ball players so defensive qualities need to be a priority, but none of them are particularly strong in reading the game or making challenges.
    There are hundreds of players who could play the sideways or backward pass that we do. Even at 61 I'm sure I could make the majority of pass completions Notts defenders do.
    None of the defenders play any incisive balls that change the game. Therefore replacing all of them with defenders who "relish" defending is paramount. It is a specific quality that none of our defenders have.
    We still may not have any decisive balls but we wouldn't collapse like a deck of cards
    Intersting question about the bro,s desire to adress this in January- it may depend on our league position at the time
    What we do know about the bro,s from our NL yaers is that they seem to have a long term plan, of bringing in the necessary players steadily, they dont seem the type to splash the cash out desperately-
    From there point of view based on previous evidense- ithey might bring in a player - and see how we do, and gradually improve yaer on yaer, its worked for them already getting out of the NL, and i think it will work for them again getting out of L2 but might take a couple of years, unless we get the rub of the green and go up - we will see-but whatever happens i gradually see us getting better and better each year

So what they won a one off game, recently we always seem to lose to them, there were reasons like we were missing key players, and we backed off, they had the drop of the ball etc
    I dont buy all this nonsense Mansfield are the best team ever, if so why have they drawn 8 matches, and are still behind us in the table if they are so great, we lost and move on - simple
    They have had far more injury problems than us this season and who as said they are the best team ever? Luke said they are the best team we have faced since he’s been at the club and most fans seem to think they are the best team we have played against this season.

Intersting question about the bro,s desire to adress this in January- it may depend on our league position at the time
    What we do know about the bro,s from our NL yaers is that they seem to have a long term plan, of bringing in the necessary players steadily, they dont seem the type to splash the cash out desperately-
    From there point of view based on previous evidense- ithey might bring in a player - and see how we do, and gradually improve yaer on yaer, its worked for them already getting out of the NL, and i think it will work for them again getting out of L2 but might take a couple of years, unless we get the rub of the green and go up - we will see-but whatever happens i gradually see us getting better and better each year
    IF, what I'm led to believe is true, the Scots lad is as good as done for being here in Jan. Do we need more though?

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    IF, what I'm led to believe is true, the Scots lad is as good as done for being here in Jan. Do we need more though?
    Sorry Gump, who is the Scots lad?

Effectively, we only play with 3 defenders, against a team as capable as Mansfield, we always run the risk of being hammered. We probably need to revert to a back 4. Brindley, Cameron, Baldwin and Chicks for example. Bostock and Palmer in midfield, Jones, McGoldrick, Crowley behind Langstaff.

I don't think we could have played with 4 at the back with the starting XI yesterday - so do you start with Tipton or Macari instead, and who do you drop?

There might have been more of an argument had Chicks been in the matchday squad.

Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast