+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do we need another striker?

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Why only half decent?
    It’s non league innit. Scoffham scored loads at nearly this level.

The answer to the OP question yes.

Time will tell what we have in Elisha Sam and I'm not one of those writing him off before he's even had chance to acclimatise, but he was never going to be a direct replacement for Kristian Dennis anyway. Whether Sam plays as a centre-forward or as an unusually big wide player, he's not going to replicate Kristian's 'fox in the box' qualities, and it's asking too much of young Knowles to do so either. He will probably be more suited to a supersub role.

Do we need another striker? Possibly. Is it realistic to expect we’ll get one in the near future? I don’t think so. We have a squad of around 21 of whom 4 are strikers and several of the midfielders are (in theory) capable of scoring goals. That should be enough to be going on with and I expect the owners will only see justification for another signing if there are serious injury problems, or if it’s conclusively proved that the strikers we have ain’t good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Frigiliana Pie 1 View Post
    Do we need another striker? Possibly. Is it realistic to expect we’ll get one in the near future? I don’t think so. We have a squad of around 21 of whom 4 are strikers and several of the midfielders are (in theory) capable of scoring goals. That should be enough to be going on with and I expect the owners will only see justification for another signing if there are serious injury problems, or if it’s conclusively proved that the strikers we have ain’t good enough.
    Unless a real bargain were to appear on the radar, then, nah. It's time for the players and manager to get on and show us what they can do.

Quote Originally Posted by St Kitts Magpie View Post
    Don't disagree with anything you wrote. I haven't said he has struggled to get a game for Notts , but something has changed of late ,I'm just answering the thread ,as for me he is an option in the short term , if Sam is going to be ready soon
    Sam will never be ready or good enough...

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    Whats the point of a striker, when the ball stays mostly in our own half.
    Very true, especially in the paly off final, where Dennis was largely redundant

I can't see the point of having big men like Sam or Wooton (or both) up front if we don't have wide men who can cross a ball?
    They always seem to have their backs to goal.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    I can't see the point of having big men like Sam or Wooton (or both) up front if we don't have wide men who can cross a ball?
    They always seem to have their backs to goal.
    We do, just won't play them there. Roberts and Enzio playing out wide should worry teams in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    We do, just won't play them there. Roberts and Enzio playing out wide should worry teams in this league.

I notice one of our old boys has signed for Barnet.

https://www.barnetfc.com/news/2020/o...joins-on-loan/

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Well yeah, if he really has committed to a diamond with that squad of players he should be out of the door without further ado.

Do we have great over-lapping full backs who can make up for the lack of width?
    Will he pick two midfielders in the side parts of the diamond who will get in the box and score up to 10 a season (needed if we want to be champs/2nd or 3rd)? If they're Reeves/O'Brien I think we can answer that already?

We've got a lot of mobile players, they should be given freer rein to pop up in different attacking positions. Do National league coaches want to prepare to play against a set formation including 3 journeymen midfielders or face team where they don't know exactly where Roberts, Enzio, Rodrigues are going to pop up against them....?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast