+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I was there in 68 FA Cup Final

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    I may only have been four months old at the time but at least I can say that the Albion have won a major trophy in my lifetime. Whether that's a good thing or bad is open to interpretation but it is what it is.

I'm not going to pretend that I was there because I wasn't and if I got to watch it on TV it appears I've long forgotten said auspicious occasion but I have held the FA Cup.

It was on display at Preston North End before an FA Cup tie we played there years ago and I have a photo with me and a pal holding it aloft while wearing white cotton gloves to protect the trophy.

God knows how many pairs of hands were in those gloves before we put them on but you can be assured we washed ours straight after ��.
    It may come as a shock to you but....

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    It may come as a shock to you but....
    Not remotely. The current FA Cup is in it's fifth carnation. While I have no idea which one we held it was very definitely an FA Cup though 😊.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zkn247h

The first Cup Final I watched as a 6 year old kid , I asked my old man who he thought would win and he said Everton so I naturally pulled for Albion .

If my old man and the rest of my family hadn't been such die-hard Barnsley fans and taken me to Oakwell every week I reckon that 1968 Cup Final could have made me an Albion fan , it's generally events such as the 68 Cup Final that set you off as a young kid .

Always had a bit of a soft spot for Albion from that day , not just the cup win but I've always loved your kit especially the yellow and green away one from the late 70's .

My first trip to The Hawthorns was in 1987 i believe when Albion really were in a poor state and we won 1-0 towards the back end of that season .

Sparse crowd and the ground had seen better days , I seem to remember an early Carlton Palmer in the Albion team .

Watched the 68 final on TV - wasn’t a great game but who care’s about that. Anyone go to the LC final in 1970 - thought we played well that day on a mud bath of a pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrera View Post
    Watched the 68 final on TV - wasn’t a great game but who care’s about that. Anyone go to the LC final in 1970 - thought we played well that day on a mud bath of a pitch.
    I went. Didn’t they have some horsey event not long before, which was why the pitch was so messy. Never felt quite comfortable even after Jeff’s goal

Quote Originally Posted by Q165 View Post
    I went. Didn’t they have some horsey event not long before, which was why the pitch was so messy. Never felt quite comfortable even after Jeff’s goal
    Hi, the horse event was before the LC final against Man City

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    The first Cup Final I watched as a 6 year old kid , I asked my old man who he thought would win and he said Everton so I naturally pulled for Albion .

If my old man and the rest of my family hadn't been such die-hard Barnsley fans and taken me to Oakwell every week I reckon that 1968 Cup Final could have made me an Albion fan , it's generally events such as the 68 Cup Final that set you off as a young kid .

Always had a bit of a soft spot for Albion from that day , not just the cup win but I've always loved your kit especially the yellow and green away one from the late 70's .

My first trip to The Hawthorns was in 1987 i believe when Albion really were in a poor state and we won 1-0 towards the back end of that season .

Sparse crowd and the ground had seen better days , I seem to remember an early Carlton Palmer in the Albion team .
    Lovely post and thank you for sharing those memories. At the same time I'm hoping for a memory of my own one day. Beating Barnsley at Oakwell. I don't think we've done it since 1947 but I feel sure there's at least one person on our forum who was there. Take care fella 😎.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)