+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 60mph motorway speed limit

re: 60mph motorway speed limit

Quote Originally Posted by 18MILLERS84
    Not noticed any thing like it in the south ?
    I have. There are plenty of 60mph limits round the M25.

There's no fixed 60mph limits down south. The M25 is a managed motorway with variable limits and running lanes according to the traffic flow. That isn't the proposal for the M1. The limits are nothing to do with traffic flow and all to do with environmental targets... which is stupid because it's a daft way to meet them targets.

Do cars go that slow?

So what reduce cars down to 60 so they're doing the same speed as lorries? - accident waiting to happen, unless of course lorries go down to 50 (and like you can see that happening). Also do the stupid nobs who dream up this bullshine know how many miles it takes for a lorry to overtake going 2 miles an hour faster than another & the backlog that would cause. I know lets make CO2 'better' and turn it into 1 big car park. Planks

Quote Originally Posted by ExeterMiller
    So what reduce cars down to 60 so they're doing the same speed as lorries? - accident waiting to happen, unless of course lorries go down to 50 (and like you can see that happening). Also do the stupid nobs who dream up this bullshine know how many miles it takes for a lorry to overtake going 2 miles an hour faster than another & the backlog that would cause. I know lets make CO2 'better' and turn it into 1 big car park. Planks

Exeter , do you not realise do you not understand, all this trivia is to take peoples mind off the **** this place is in.?

[quote="gm_gm"]Seems like a daft idea to me.

On the one hand, they're talking about it becoming 4 lanes either way (so a 30% increase in capacity). On the other hand, they're saying that by upping the capacity, they'll need to reduce the limit to keep the CO2 down.

If we genuinely want to improve air quality etc then a 30 mile stretch of motorway won't do anything.

A far better idea would be to actively encourage people to use public transport by making it cheap, reliable, clean, efficient, safe etc etc.

Where I am in Manchester, I'm 5 miles from town. In rush hour, it takes me 25 minutes by bike (because I'm relatively young & fit and don't mind mixing it with lunatics), 25 minutes by car or 1 hour by bus (including a 5 min walk & wait either end). Although I live near both a train & tram station, I'm unable to use them at peak times as I'm too close to town so they're both completely full to capacit

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123