+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stick Or Twist For Colchester

Approach to the game is another way to look at this. If play-offs is the aim, a draw is a good result with 2 home games still to come. If it's the autos, we have to win. Which to go for? Almost everyone will say keep going for top 3 and try to win at Colchester, so stick with the 11 from Saturday. I think he will, but the game plan will be 'keep it tight and try to nick it'. What would he do if it's 0-0 at 75 mins?

Quote Originally Posted by nay123 View Post
    he must have something because he is still playing for Liverpool u23 in the week
    You mean something they stick in his tea maybe??

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Saturday was his best game for us by far. I agree he's not setting the world alight but he played a very influential role for us against Coventry in a high pressure game. He was never far from the action, harried and challenged for every ball in a position he is not really familiar with, did enough to put the keeper off from the corner for the first goal.

Not sure that Hawk or Aless could have done any better in that he delivered what was essentially required of him for that game.

can't say I've been overly impressed by him on the whole but as with Duffy, credit where credit is due.
    I'd play Virtue again after his improvement on Saturday. Our defence and midfield have had some stick from our posters, me included, about the unneccessary big boot chase but Virtue showed an inkling of what Nolly sees in him, I don't think he resorted to hoof-ball once.

Other than keeping Colchester at arms length, a draw is neither here nor there, so I’d be going for as an attacking formation as possible.

Hawkridge in for Vertue.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Other than keeping Colchester at arms length, a draw is neither here nor there,
    BFP, I reckon a draw would be a massive step to confirming play offs. 76 points should be enough this season so 1.5 points per game should be within reach.

But back to original question,

Go for it Notts.

See you all there?

I'd go with the same starting eleven. I thought Virtue had a decent game against Coventry, even though it's probably not his preferred position. He didn't do anything spectacular, but he worked hard, didn't give the ball away very often, gave excellent cover to Tootle further up the pitch, and got into some good forward positions that we didn't really take advantage of.

If fit stead in for ameobi offers alot more goal threat and bit more pace. Thought virtue did a decent enough job plenty of energy and effort. Enjoyed the game just got fed up with their diving.

Quote Originally Posted by arnapie View Post
    BFP, I reckon a draw would be a massive step to confirming play offs. 76 points should be enough this season so 1.5 points per game should be within reach.

But back to original question,

Go for it Notts.

See you all there?
    Fair enough, the only thing I’d say is that as unlikely as it is, we need 4 wins to stand any chance of the autos. It would be a pity not to properly go for it, especially considering this is the toughest game we have left if Luton have got nowt to play for on the last day.

Virtue did alright the other day, but doesn’t bring much up the pitch.

Ameobi has a bit more guile than Stead. With Stead defenders know what to expect, he leans back into a close defender and a manager teaches his defenders to expect this and that is why he takes two with him. This is OK if he gets a free kick but if he doesn't it's difficult for him to pass to a team-mate, he does have an eye for a goal though. Ameobi plays a different game, his ball control is much better than Stead's so sometimes he shields the ball, sometimes it's a clever flick or sometimes he runs (trots) with the ball, this is hard for defenders to guess which (team-mates too, sometimes) so for me Nolly will have to see which midfielders are playing best with which striker during training, and which striker is fit, of course.

For me, the balance of the team was just right against Coventry, so stick with that.

Wasn't at the match but on video Shola had a superb assist for the winner against Cov, and agree with Laxton that I think he offers a bit more to trouble defenders than Stead - who, though talented - is a bit one-dimensional.

Should also have added:
    Perhaps the Ameobi / Forte combo is worth trying again? Admittedly small sample size but....
    Last edited by Mark_Ross; 09-04-2018 at 07:36 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast