+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Millmoor, DVS, New York Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    I've heard Sheffield United and Wednesday fans talk of similar experiences of Millmoor Lane back in the day.
    However the Swansea incident came about from their fans lobbing bricks, coins and bottles into the uncovered area from outside the ground. It all went a bit wild when they got their missiles returned to them, the police horses waded in and unfortunately someone got killed.

It was a poorly lit tight squeeze, a death trap as animal put it. And it turned out to be just that.
    Still SYP see no problem in cramming 8000-9000 people onto narrow Don Street all at the same time after certain games. A poorly lit narrow Lane next to a river.
    Oakwell was a shyte hole too just for balance , away fans getting pyss wet through on the old kop , rain pouring in through holes in the roof in the ponty end and brewery stand .

In fact 90% of grounds weren't fit for purpose before the Hillsborough disaster, but you put up with it because well you just did .

It was a poorly lit tight squeeze, a death trap as animal put it. And it turned out to be just that.
    Still SYP see no problem in cramming 8000-9000 people onto narrow Don Street all at the same time after certain games. A poorly lit narrow Lane next to a river.[/QUOTE]

With no chance of Emergency services getting through if ever required

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Oakwell was a shyte hole too just for balance , away fans getting pyss wet through on the old kop , rain pouring in through holes in the roof in the ponty end and brewery stand .

In fact 90% of grounds weren't fit for purpose before the Hillsborough disaster, but you put up with it because well you just did .
    Yes, I remember standing on the away end at Oakwell. Where the terracing finished, at the top there was just material from a slag heap to stand on... it was still better than Wigan's Springfield Park though, which had a mud bank as part of the away section.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 10-09-2018 at 03:31 PM.

It’s got to be Millmoor for me,first game 1958 with my dad.Seen some great players play for the Millers at Millmoor,players of the class we will never see in a Rotherham shirt at NYS.Time moves on & we now have a great little ground just need the players to go with it.

Great memories are made by great happenings and the older you get the less chance you have of appreciating them. That said, Millmoor with over 25 thousand in against Burnley, Man United being matched, Alan Lee's last minute winner against Brentford and all that entailed, will remain with me for ever.

But, Freck's goals against against Aldershot in league two, Preston in the playoffs and the winner against Middlesbrough are to also to be treasured.

Don Valley was in some ways the saviour because it had to be done, and TS learned a lot from 4 seasons there. If we are talking about which is best its a no brainer. NYS makes me proud to be a Miller, not embarrassed like I was in the later years of Millmoor. Who would have thought 10 years ago that we would have a better ground than a major Premiership club? Well we have now after my recent experience at Goodison.

I used to love Millmoor but by the end I was glad when we were moving out, mostly down to the knocking down/lack of rebuilding the main stand.

DVS was an absolute nightmare. I used to go to every single league game and I hated every second of it. It was freezing, there was no atmosphere and the players must've hated it too

As much as I loved Millmoor, nothing beats the pride I feel when walking down New York Way. It will eventually have its flaws, and there's not always a great atmosphere but its a bloody good stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    It’s got to be Millmoor for me,first game 1958 with my dad.Seen some great players play for the Millers at Millmoor,players of the class we will never see in a Rotherham shirt at NYS.Time moves on & we now have a great little ground just need the players to go with it.
    Lol, 1958 was my first game, too. I was six years old with my dad and elder brothers. Can't remember anything about the game but images of the crowd on a lovely sunny day stay with me. And you're right about the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    I've heard Sheffield United and Wednesday fans talk of similar experiences of Millmoor Lane back in the day.
    However the Swansea incident came about from their fans lobbing bricks, coins and bottles into the uncovered area from outside the ground. It all went a bit wild when they got their missiles returned to them, the police horses waded in and unfortunately someone got killed.

Still SYP see no problem in cramming 8000-9000 people onto narrow Don Street all at the same time after certain games. A poorly lit narrow Lane next to a river.
    Don Street is a tragedy just waiting to happen. Disgusting how SYP expect several thousand folk to shuffle down a poorly lit street crammed in like sardines, even worse on a night match. Only going to take a few to lose their footing and stumble then we may well see a tragedy unfold.

It's quite amazing really that the greatest performance by the Miller's in front of up towards 55,000 wasn't even at Millmoor DVS or NYS and it was classed as a Home Tie as we won the toss when we defeated the mighty Arsenal in the FA cup at Hillsbro and it's not about the stadium for me it's the outstanding performances by the Millers over the years and there have been many for me in watching since 1948/49 season most of which have been in front of full houses,great teams,great players it's been a privilege never mind where we played.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Don Street is a tragedy just waiting to happen. Disgusting how SYP expect several thousand folk to shuffle down a poorly lit street crammed in like sardines, even worse on a night match. Only going to take a few to lose their footing and stumble then we may well see a tragedy unfold.
    Still waiting for my response from the "Silver Commander" (thread from months ago)

The denials from SYP ref warnings from fans will be interesting, if, and hope to God there is no if, there is an incident

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast