+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading Post Match Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    My thoughts?

Just 3 words

Negative negative negative
    Aren't they always your thoughts?

Everything about us is an enigma.
    The manager costs us at times but has done a really good job.
    The players aren’t good enough for this league but keep battling and give everything.
    The supporters are as good as any on the road but always know we can’t compete with the massive attendances away from home.

Yep that’s us an enigma so many different ways to look at us depending on the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    My thoughts?

Just 3 words

Negative negative negative
    Always said you'd make a great pundit when you gave up management. How's it going Stubbsy?

Warney not happy with pre and post match comment from their Manager and John Swift

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/f...ading-15877326

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    Warney not happy with pre and post match comment from their Manager and John Swift

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/f...ading-15877326
    Can’t see what there is to get upset about. The Reading manager’s opinion of our playing style was bang right.

We do play long ball but we also play some nice stuff as Reading found out today.
    There were spells when they couldn't get the ball off us and we got round the back .
    I think we took them by surprise a bit.

So we don't play long ball all the time and I think PW,s getting a bit miffed that Reading,s comments are a bit simplistic
    Maybe their Manager and players should look in the mirror and ask why after all the inflated salaries and signings in the transfer window they are still really struggling
    Last edited by flourbasher; 23-02-2019 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by harpo88 View Post
    Interesting CT, I thought Towell was a bit off it until 40 minutes and then he led our little spell then that set the tone for our second half, and he was good then too scampering about.

I know it’s tempting to say we should press all the time but we have to be selective - Reading are decent on the ball but not world beaters, when we dropped back a bit they were hesitant and not very creative. It was only when the ball was loose or on the counterattack they got behind us. So we need to be patient and wait for them to make the mistake in possession which they will. Obviously boxing em in when Martinez had the ball they were making a couple of mistakes too so that worked well but we can’t leave too much soace behind us.

I’m impressed that when I’ve been this year (no home games and 7 away) if it’s not working out Warne has usually got some improvement out of them.
    Fair comments, Harpo88. You have to remember I'm still half asleep when I'm watching at 7.00am and may not be making any sense with my observations!

It was that nice mazy run that Towell made early in the first half after muscling his way on to the ball that was the basis for my comment about the first half. His lay-off at the end of it was weak but he did what I think we don't do enough of in carrying the ball forward.

What you say about choosing your moments to press is probably right. I just felt on balance we tended to take the more negative back-to-the-goalie route just a little too often - and then Rodak punted as best he could forward so we ended up worse off than if we had pressed.

I thought this was an interesting observation off one of the Reading message boards:

"Tale of two teams. One in Rotherham who are limited but are trying to scratch and claw their way out of relegation and the other being us who are trying to tap our way out of it."

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    I thought this was an interesting observation off one of the Reading message boards:

"Tale of two teams. One in Rotherham who are limited but are trying to scratch and claw their way out of relegation and the other being us who are trying to tap our way out of it."
    At the wrong end of any division, I know what I would be wanting my team to do out of those two choices. UTM

Both teams poor but both trying hard. We had a poor first half and we’re pressing them high up when they broke away and scored. Premier loaner from Liverpool. Second half we were better and credit to PW for taking a defender off and putting extra midfield/winger on. Semi moves back into defence and still manages to score! Also credit to the team for not sitting back and trying to go on for the win even though we could have let 3 in in the last 10 mins. Would have been great if Newell had put a reasonable chance away.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast