+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who was right ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    We simply did not have the experience or resources to enter those early manic Europa League rounds. That experience almost killed us,
    Precisely BT, thank you, that's exactly what we were saying a year ago, we needed to strengthen or we'd be in trouble. We didn't strengthen and we did get into trouble. We've ended 14 points down on the previous season and finished just 6 points off relegation, of course no one knows what total will be required for safety next season, but it's clear, despite the bonus of not being in that dreadful Europa League, we won't have anywhere near the same safety margin this time around, even a 4/5 point drop off could see us down. Hopefully lessons have been learned.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    "Fulham spent a Kings ransom and were relegated."

Indeed 59, but there is one significant difference between us and Fulham, we have Sean Dyche as manager, they don't. I don't think you're seriously suggesting that if our board gave Sean Dyche a King's ransom we'd be relegated are you ? No of course you're not, nor am I suggesting we should give him a King's ransom, what I am suggesting is that we should trust him a little more. In Dyche we have a massive asset, sensible businesses utilise their major assets to the full, invest in them, squeeze every bit of value out of them, but not us with our major asset. We starve him of funds, we peer timidly over the balance sheets, we cower behind the accountants and expect him to perform miracles with an understrength team. A shame really, he/we could achieve so much more for not much greater outlay, certainly nowhere near to risking the financial future of the club, but the timorous beasties in the board room continue to waste the greatest asset this club has ever had, and probably ever will have.

Ah well, never mind.
    Now there is a true analogy sinkov , I think us the so called remain - moaners are all off the same hymn sheet really we dont want to blow the budget, just to give our manager a fighting chance to succeed.

I'm shocked at this news BT, I assumed we'd by shipping out the older end, in order to give opportunities to all those bright young things rolling off the production line at our brand new state of the art £20 million white elephant. But it seems not, is McNeill, as I suspected, a one off ?
    Can't be a white elephant sinkov. McNeil is already being quoted to be worth £25 million with buyers ready to go with cash in hand. That's Gawthorpe/Barnfield all paid for and another £5 million in the Dry Powder Room. No wonder we are being quoted today has being the globe's 32nd most valuable football club!

https://www.lancs.live/sport/footbal...-most-16283822
    Last edited by The Bedlington Terrier; 16-05-2019 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Missed a bit!

It’s like most things in life BT being worth an amount is brilliant , but you never actually see the money.
    We could end up selling a lot of assets and sitting on loads of money in the bank , back in the championship or worse.
    There’s a fine line between success and failure, loads of money in the bank won’t alter that.

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    it’s like most things in life bt being worth an amount is brilliant , but you never actually see the money.
    We could end up selling a lot of assets and sitting on loads of money in the bank , back in the championship or worse.
    There’s a fine line between success and failure, loads of money in the bank won’t alter that.
    trust the plan? It's spend a bit, save a bit and keep the old head above water.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Can't be a white elephant sinkov. McNeil is already being quoted to be worth £25 million with buyers ready to go with cash in hand. That's Gawthorpe/Barnfield all paid for and another £5 million in the Dry Powder Room. No wonder we are being quoted today has being the globe's 32nd most valuable football club!

https://www.lancs.live/sport/footbal...-most-16283822
    32nd most valuable BT, last year we were the 27th, but that's what happens when you fail to invest, you're on the slippery slope.

I can't imagine that Barnfield has been up and running long enough to have been instrumental in the explosion of McNeill onto the scene, he was on his way into our first team Barnfield or no Barnfield. And while accepting that of course our facilities were badly in need of investment and updating, could I just point that over the last ten years we have produced an England International in Jay Rodriguez, won three promotions to the Premier League and turned out two different squads of youngsters good enough to get to the FA Youth Cup semi-finals, all with no Barnfield. If in the next ten years we stay in the PL, we produce several more England Internationals and three or more youth teams in the Youth Cup semis, then it will have done it's job, and I won't be able to say it's an expensive white elephant will I ? But for the moment it is, imo.
    Last edited by sinkov; 18-05-2019 at 07:43 AM.

32nd most valuable BT, last year we were the 27th, but that's what happens when you fail to invest, you're on the slippery slope.

I can't imagine that Barnfield has been up and running long enough to have been instrumental in the explosion of McNeill onto the scene, he was on his way into our first team Barnfield or no Barnfield. And while accepting that of course our facilities were badly in need of investment and updating, could I just point that over the last ten years we have produced an England International in Jay Rodriguez, won three promotions to the Premier League and turned out two different squads of youngsters good enough to get to the FA Youth Cup semi-finals, all with no Barnfield. If in the next ten years we stay in the PL, we produce several more England Internationals and three or more youth teams in the Youth Cup semis, then it will have done it's job, and I won't be able to say it's an expensive white elephant will I ? But for the moment it is, imo.
    Your opinion usually stinks though sinkov! When I get ten minutes I will tell you ALL of the reasons the Barnfield Complex is not a white elephant, not now, not ever.

Well it's cost us around £65 million so far, and the only player it seems to have attracted is Peter Crouch. Expensive white elephant or even vanity project, that's all it is so far. There's one flaw in the thinking behind this, you can have all the state of the art facilities you want, if we won't pay the transfer fees or wages to attract top class players, and we won't, it's going to be about much use as ear-rings on a pig.

Well it's cost us around £65 million so far, and the only player it seems to have attracted is Peter Crouch. Expensive white elephant or even vanity project, that's all it is so far. There's one flaw in the thinking behind this, you can have all the state of the art facilities you want, if we won't pay the transfer fees or wages to attract top class players, and we won't, it's going to be about much use as ear-rings on a pig.
    Where on earth do you get £65 million?

£45 million in lost revenue when we took a relegation to pay for it, and I'm estimating it cost £20m itself, although I don't know the actual figure. You'll know BT, what did it cost to build ?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)