+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clubs merging

Not for mergers myself, or groundsharing, but it has happened in the UK in fairly recent times. When did Wimbledon last play at Plough Lane? Must be a long time ago

Quote Originally Posted by BramleyMiller58 View Post
    Blame Wiki

It was originally the home of Everton FC from 1884 to 1891
    Blame Liverpool. They were happy there I no doubt

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    Not for mergers myself, or groundsharing, but it has happened in the UK in fairly recent times. When did Wimbledon last play at Plough Lane? Must be a long time ago
    You have coventry doing it again in Brum this season.

Wasn't DV a ground share of sorts or did we have it to ourselves? Never went there myself, couldn't find it

Really makes no economic sense to have two facilities when one can serve the purpose, even for different sports (e.g. American Football/Football), especially in this day and age when upwards of $1B is becoming a 'normal' price tag.
    Last edited by CAMiller; 22-08-2019 at 05:10 PM.

The Milan teams have shared the San Siro for years.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Wasn't DV a ground share of sorts or did we have it to ourselves? Never went there myself, couldn't find it
    Sheffield rugby league team shared it with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    The Milan teams have shared the San Siro for years.
    How much have Tottingham and Arsenal squandered on building two stadiums when they could have shraed one?

The Bristol clubs could easily share.

I guess the idea of merging is that you bring the money from the 2 owners together into one club with one set of overheads.

It will depend on the egos of the individuals involved.

Quote Originally Posted by PerigordMiller View Post
    No, no, & no.

Not for me.

Football is (should be) as much about supporting your town as well as your team.

Imagine we merge with Donny and agree to play at the Keepmoat? Who would go?

It's all about local pride for me. If it wasn't we'd all be supporting one of the top 6 and football would become even more of a TV spectacle / comedy show.
    100% agree Peri.

I love watching the Millers and can't imagine not renewing my ST every year.

However I am totally disillusioned with football in general. The tv interference, the devaluation of the FA cup, Champions League is the be all and end all, the disgusting amounts of wages, transfer fees etc. the gambling with a club's future and inevitable Bolton/Bury scenarios. It's a murky business and I've lost interest.

So it's just our lads for me not any merged team nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    Would it just not be easier for the teams to ground share?

Let's face it parts of Hillborough and parts of the Lane need upgrading so why don't the two build a whapping stadium for both of them to share?

The same could happen in other Cities too. Everton don't need to spend millions of quid to build a new stadium, they could just borrow Anfield for every other weekend.
    As they do with the Allianz Arena in Germany. Such is the design of the arena they change the lights to either red or blue0

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast