+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T: When will we ever learn

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    You a Bulwell lad then same as me? Drank in the Highbury.
    Born and lived in Bulwell for 20 years from 51- 71 Drank in the Billy, Masons Arms but mainly in the 360 club on Highbury Vale.
    Played football for them from 1970 to 77. Different place Bulwell then. Where did you live? I lived off Commercial Road, Barry Street.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Born and lived in Bulwell for 20 years from 51- 71 Drank in the Billy, Masons Arms but mainly in the 360 club on Highbury Vale.
    Played football for them from 1970 to 77. Different place Bulwell then. Where did you live? I lived off Commercial Road, Barry Street.
    Dad lived on Ingram Road, went to Highbury boys. I lived top of Park Lane/ St Albans Road, went to Bulwell St Marys & Henry Mellish.
    360? that was on Piccadilly next to Bus Station? Used to go to Bull n Butcher like all youngsters did

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    This just randomly appeared on my Facebook feed. Some pretty interesting photos (and gruesome newspaper articles) here.

https://m.facebook.com/nottinghamhid...5260261156910/
    That's a really interesting link, thank you. My great grandfather was living with his family in Sneinton on one census in the 1800s, and was then living in Narrow Marsh without them by the next census. No idea what happened, but it looks a pretty grim place to exist.

Dad lived on Ingram Road, went to Highbury boys. I lived top of Park Lane/ St Albans Road, went to Bulwell St Marys & Henry Mellish.
    360? that was on Piccadilly next to Bus Station? Used to go to Bull n Butcher like all youngsters did
    No that was the Piccadilly club, 360 was next to St. Mary's church. Bull and Butcher was also my haunt in the late 70s early 80s.
    My mates went to Highbury and many lived around the Ingram road area, I went to Ellis in Basford. When I was at school Mellish was a county grammar school.
    Last edited by i961pie; 16-02-2021 at 02:31 PM.

Well done, Banjo, this is a good fred and thanks for the info.
    Nowhere has a worse reputation for wrecking great Victorian architecture and replacing it with 20th/21st century dross than Scarborough. The buildings around the railway station were quite magnificent and could surely have been tastefully restored. Instead, the replacements look like something out of the KGB in Moscow.
    But the trouble is, you see, that rather than get themselves elected onto the council and make tasteful decisions, people would rather back off and leave it to the philistines who at least are prepared to spend a portion of their lives working for what they see as the civic good.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    No that was the Piccadilly club, 360 was next to St. Mary's church. Bull and Butcher was also my haunt in the late 70s early 80s.
    My mates went to Highbury and many lived around the Ingram road area, I went to Ellis in Basford. When I was at school Mellish was a county grammar school.
    I know where you mean now. Ist in a row of houses on the left before Canrtell Road

I know where you mean now. Ist in a row of houses on the left before Canrtell Road
    Correct, now a care home

You a Bulwell lad then same as me? Drank in the Highbury.
    Reminds me of a true event back in 1957 which sticks in the mind when Bulwell is mentioned.

I was playing for Burton Joyce in the old Spartan league and we were challenging for promotion to the 1st division.

We were playing Bulwell St Albans who were also in the race and we had a very good wing half called Barry Spencer who on that day was getting married. Barry wanted to play whatever the cost so our bus picked him up from the Highbury pub where his wedding reception was being held. We played the game, won it and dropped Barry back to the reception later in the afternoon! Brilliant loyalty.

Also remember a ground opposite the Apollo (?) pub when I played for Bestwood Colliery. It was the final of the Bulwell charity cup between Bestwood 1st X1 and our reserves who had also made the final. To even things up, the !st X1 forward line played for the reserves and their forward line played for us. We lost 3-1 with me missing a penalty! I can remember a lad called McCarthy(?) who I think his dad had a transport firm, along with Harry and Denis Willows, Tony Jeyes and Ron Langley who also played.

Also remember Bulwell church institute who had some very good billiards and snooker players, one being a young lad called Terry something and another older bloke called Harry Kingsley.

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    Reminds me of a true event back in 1957 which sticks in the mind when Bulwell is mentioned.

I was playing for Burton Joyce in the old Spartan league and we were challenging for promotion to the 1st division.

We were playing Bulwell St Albans who were also in the race and we had a very good wing half called Barry Spencer who on that day was getting married. Barry wanted to play whatever the cost so our bus picked him up from the Highbury pub where his wedding reception was being held. We played the game, won it and dropped Barry back to the reception later in the afternoon! Brilliant loyalty.

Also remember a ground opposite the Apollo (?) pub when I played for Bestwood Colliery. It was the final of the Bulwell charity cup between Bestwood 1st X1 and our reserves who had also made the final. To even things up, the !st X1 forward line played for the reserves and their forward line played for us. We lost 3-1 with me missing a penalty! I can remember a lad called McCarthy(?) who I think his dad had a transport firm, along with Harry and Denis Willows, Tony Jeyes and Ron Langley who also played.

Also remember Bulwell church institute who had some very good billiards and snooker players, one being a young lad called Terry something and another older bloke called Harry Kingsley.
    The ground opposite the Apollo belonged to Springfield school, I played on there a few times. Ron Langley was a mate of my dad's and did some sales work for Forest. Also played snooker at Bulwell (known locally as the stute) institute as a ****ager. Happy times.

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    That's a really interesting link, thank you. My great grandfather was living with his family in Sneinton on one census in the 1800s, and was then living in Narrow Marsh without them by the next census. No idea what happened, but it looks a pretty grim place to exist.
    You're welcome Cher. Yeah I think Nottingham was famous for its inner city slums in the 1700s/1800s and there were regular riots. Grim is indeed the word.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast