+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Schopp Post Match Interview

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Having reflected on yesterday and had a think, I believe the need for experience isn't necessarily as great as first thought. Most of our players are now savvy at this level. Tha looks at some of the fouls we made to slow down possible QPR breakaways for instance. The lads were 'taking one for the team' so to speak. Stylesy did a couple, so did Benson and so too Woodrow.

Some of our players are, to quote Conway 'veterans' with over 40 championship appearances! The likes of Styles, Mads, Helik, Woodrow, Brittain, Collins are clued up imo. The new lads and a couple of others like Sibbick and Palmer will keep learning as they go.

Let's bear in mind that our head coach is new to the Championship too. He'll be learning and picking stuff up as he goes. We'll have to be patient. The positives yesterday far outweigh the negatives for me. We have some very good footballers here and they'll keep getting better. There's plenty to look forward to imo.
    Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Having reflected on yesterday and had a think, I believe the need for experience isn't necessarily as great as first thought. Most of our players are now savvy at this level. Tha looks at some of the fouls we made to slow down possible QPR breakaways for instance. The lads were 'taking one for the team' so to speak. Stylesy did a couple, so did Benson and so too Woodrow.

Some of our players are, to quote Conway 'veterans' with over 40 championship appearances! The likes of Styles, Mads, Helik, Woodrow, Brittain, Collins are clued up imo. The new lads and a couple of others like Sibbick and Palmer will keep learning as they go.

Let's bear in mind that our head coach is new to the Championship too. He'll be learning and picking stuff up as he goes. We'll have to be patient. The positives yesterday far outweigh the negatives for me. We have some very good footballers here and they'll keep getting better. There's plenty to look forward to imo.
    The majority of these players managed games out last season perfectly well .

Fair few slender leads managed in that second half of the season .

The challenge is to see them out this season playing a different brand of football under a new HC .

There's also the matter of having the quality off the bench to get us over the line .

Big Morris coming on with 20 minutes to go and keeping that ball up the park and drawing free kicks would have helped enormously .

Hopefully once the Belgium lads are here we will have that option .

Schopp maybe could have done better with the changes but that's easy to say with the benefit of hindsight .

Halme for Palmer instead of Moon was possibly the one I'm thinking about the most .

It would also have been nice to bring on Jordan Williams and double up on Chair who was giving Britain a nightmare in the last twenty minutes but unfortunately that option wasn't available .

Easy to say after the game mind .

Captain Hindsight is the smartest coach in the game .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    The majority of these players managed games out last season perfectly well .

Fair few slender leads managed in that second half of the season .

The challenge is to see them out this season playing a different brand of football under a new HC .

There's also the matter of having the quality off the bench to get us over the line .

Big Morris coming on with 20 minutes to go and keeping that ball up the park and drawing free kicks would have helped enormously .

Hopefully once the Belgium lads are here we will have that option .

Schopp maybe could have done better with the changes but that's easy to say with the benefit of hindsight .

Halme for Palmer instead of Moon was possibly the one I'm thinking about the most .

It would also have been nice to bring on Jordan Williams and double up on Chair who was giving Britain a nightmare in the last twenty minutes but unfortunately that option wasn't available .

Easy to say after the game mind .

Captain Hindsight is the smartest coach in the game .
    Classic situation wasn't it, stick or twist. Schopp understandably chose to stick, drop back 10 yards and we paid the price. Again, a learning curve for everybody concerned. I thought Sibbick could've done better for QPR first goal.

I was annoyed at Devante Coles lack of effort. He looked half arsed to me and reluctant to chase balls down or press or run the channels when he was fresh legged and should've been giving it his all. Sorry but if that's his attitude then he can feck off back to motherwell. No room here for passengers. We're not the same Barnsley as last time he was here in 2014. Darn to him to prove he's worth a shirt. 100% effort is the minimum requirement.

The thing I would say in Cole's favour, is he was putting himself in the right places at the right time when we were in or near their area, and the final ball to him just didn't happen. Ok he might have missed it anyway, but that late charge by Sibbick is awful to watch over again when you see the space that Cole was in on the pen spot.
    What concerns me when that happens is are the odd players like Cole also not putting in the effort in training, which is maybe why they don't get much service during the matches ?.

Certainly raised my eyebrows when we signed Devante .

That said the lad deserves to be given a fair crack here .

In that situation late in the game all Sibbick is trying to do is put the ball in an area and the strikers have to anticipate that .

Unfortunately Sibbick hit the defender so it's harsh on Cole to be fair .

If Sibbick gets the ball in to an area and Cole doesn't react then that's a different story .

Yeah I wasn't blaming Cole for the ball not reaching him, thats not his fault of course. But as you say it depends on how he or any striker reacts then if a ball does make its way through to him, how sharp is his mind and how sharp is his finishing etc.

I thought ohh no why have we signed him again, but I do hope he can shove that egg back in my face and really get his share of goals this season!. The verdict however is most definitely still undecided on him, and I suppose it won't improve unless he gets some proper game time from the start of matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Yeah I wasn't blaming Cole for the ball not reaching him, thats not his fault of course. But as you say it depends on how he or any striker reacts then if a ball does make its way through to him, how sharp is his mind and how sharp is his finishing etc.

I thought ohh no why have we signed him again, but I do hope he can shove that egg back in my face and really get his share of goals this season!. The verdict however is most definitely still undecided on him, and I suppose it won't improve unless he gets some proper game time from the start of matches.
    It's always a tricky one Acido in that situation .

I played up top for 20 years and have been in that situation more times than you can shake a stick at .

Basically you've three options .

1 , Drop off two yards for the ball that's cut back .

2 , Make a run to get in front of that QPR defender .

3 , Stay where you are hoping Sibbick can get the ball over and you have the tap in .

The fact is all three options have the potential to make you look an idiot .

That's why they say he's gambled or Johnny On The Spot when you score .

The fact is you probably got lucky and chose the right option .

Cole probably as a percentage did the right thing and stayed where he was .

On another day he grabs the winner in the 94th minute .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123