+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Mullin

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Not sure it would go down too well with Mr Rawlinson
    Point taken.

Difficult one. I tend to agree that Paul Mullin is entitled to his opinion, but not if it involves his club. The reason I find it difficult is that we have a slightly bigger competition coming up soon, called the World Cup. It's being held in a country where any fans from any country indulging in a same se x relationship would be breaking the law in that country, to the point it is punishable by death. So should we do as our Foreign secretary James Cleverly suggests by turning a blind eye and "being respectful to the home nation" despite their appalling record on human rights? Or should Harry Kane be allowed to wear his OneLove rainbow captain's armband?

My opinion is that silence and 'respect' would be seen as implicit support for a regime from the dark ages, so for me the more protests and pro-human rights gestures from all teams the better.

Still football related?

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Still football related?
    Last time I looked, the World Cup was a football tournament.

Let people post what they want to post, not what you want them to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post

The ship has long since sailed.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2018/0...dictatorships/

Difficult one. I tend to agree that Paul Mullin is entitled to his opinion, but not if it involves his club. The reason I find it difficult is that we have a slightly bigger competition coming up soon, called the World Cup. It's being held in a country where any fans from any country indulging in a same se x relationship would be breaking the law in that country, to the point it is punishable by death. So should we do as our Foreign secretary James Cleverly suggests by turning a blind eye and "being respectful to the home nation" despite their appalling record on human rights? Or should Harry Kane be allowed to wear his OneLove rainbow captain's armband?

My opinion is that silence and 'respect' would be seen as implicit support for a regime from the dark ages, so for me the more protests and pro-human rights gestures from all teams the better.
    That’s all on FIFA. You (not YOU EP) are asking a country and in particular it’s strong Muslim regime to turn a blind eye to something they completely object to. No one is booting off about the fact that alcohol is banned… yet at hotels and designated spots it’s acceptable. I agree with James Cleverly with regards to respecting the country you are in… that shouldn’t be specific to Qatar, it should be everywhere. There are countries in the world I will never in my life attend, for various reasons.
    I think anyone runs a risk when they go to the Middle East. Qatar included.

I think Paul Mullins brought the reputation of Wrexham into disrepute and the club have done the right thing in my opinion. He’ll be lucky to escape a fine actually.

Elite does raise a good point about the World Cup though. Not long ago all players were bending the knee in support of Black Lives Matter, is wearing a multicoloured arm band in support of same se-x relationships any different?

I suppose, as wrong as I consider it, homo***uality is illegal in Qatar so maybe their laws should be respected and no attempt to inflame the situation should be made by wearing those armbands? It is a tough one that should have been totally avoided by never granting such a global and revered competition to a nation with such a dreadful record of human rights.

Like a lot of my friends, I can’t find any enthusiasm for this World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    I think Paul Mullins brought the reputation of Wrexham into disrepute and the club have done the right thing in my opinion. He’ll be lucky to escape a fine actually.

Elite does raise a good point about the World Cup though. Not long ago all players were bending the knee in support of Black Lives Matter, is wearing a multicoloured arm band in support of same se-x relationships any different?

I suppose, as wrong as I consider it, homo***uality is illegal in Qatar so maybe their laws should be respected and no attempt to inflame the situation should be made by wearing those armbands? It is a tough one that should have been totally avoided by never granting such a global and revered competition to a nation with such a dreadful record of human rights.

Like a lot of my friends, I can’t find any enthusiasm for this World Cup.
    Nor me. That might change come England's opening game but even ignoring all of the human rights issues - cold, dark nights and being crowbarred in the middle of the season doesn't exactly whet the appetite.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    I agree with James Cleverly with regards to respecting the country you are in….
    I've always tried to do the same, but are there limits or not?

If I was visiting Moscow, would James Cleverly tell me I should respect their right to invade Ukraine?

Calm down dearest, that wasn't aimed at you.

World cup? Oh yeah, putting human rights records and rainbow armbands to one side for a minute who do you think is going to win it? Any country's odds tempting you?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast