+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Premier League to vote on scrapping VAR

Its fair to say we would have benefited from VAR for what its purpose was supposed to be for - clear and obvious wrong decisions bamford, West Brom pen etc.

It does have a use, but how its used needs a clear overall. Every decision checked to see if a toe nail was offside from a free kick, but won't use it to see if the player dived for the free kick in the first place.

They should use it more like in tennis. A team team requests a VAR check. Have, say 3 opportunities per half or per game to request a VAR review. Instead of every brush of an arm or ankle when a player dives for a pen being appealed for and var checked, leave it up to the players. If they seriously thought they were pushed over or had their legs taken from them they'll appeal. If they know they've dived it'll waste one of their limited number of var reviews if its not an obvious pen.
    var still has a use, it but not in the current format.

Quote Originally Posted by UlleyMiller View Post
    Completely agree. Running a line is immensely difficult when it comes to offsides, and VAR is better. It's miles from perfect though, and there are studies online on its limitations (many supported by key figures in the game). I'd rather a working VAR system than none, but they have to be clear about the marginal calls where technology leaves any doubt (two lines touching each other in a recent game, for example) and adopt a tolerance.
    I've commented on here before that I think they should flip the offside rule to make it that if any part of an attacking player is onside, and I would include hands and arms too, then he is onside so it would negate the offside by a toenail argument as all of the player would be the wrong side. UTM

Quote Originally Posted by Ronners View Post
    I've commented on here before that I think they should flip the offside rule to make it that if any part of an attacking player is onside, and I would include hands and arms too, then he is onside so it would negate the offside by a toenail argument as all of the player would be the wrong side. UTM
    But it wouldn't negate the "offside by a toenail" argument at all. It would just move the line. "onside by a toenail/little finger etc." is every bit as fine a margin as the current rule of a fine line.

I have noticed that not many pundits/commentators use the "he was only offside by a toenail" argument anymore because it doesn't make sense. If somebody is offside by any amount he is offside. You can't say that he would be ok if he was offside if he is say 10cm beyond the line because, again you are just moving the line e.g "he was only 10cm and a toenail offside".

For all it's faults VAR is much better than the naked eye, in real time, in judging linear offside positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronners View Post
    But wouldn't that just flip the micro-measurement to being 'onside by a toenail'? I suppose they'd have to be running backwards for that to actually happen but 'onside by an arse hair' might come into play.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    But wouldn't that just flip the micro-measurement to being 'onside by a toenail'? I suppose they'd have to be running backwards for that to actually happen but 'onside by an arse hair' might come into play.
    Beat you to it Cam

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkly View Post
    Beat you to it Cam
    Only by a toenail!

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Only by a toenail!
    I like it

We haven't had var in the championship but fans are moaning every week about the ref....
    Var is a great piece of technology and need developing even further so refs/linesman can be eliminated from the game all together...

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    We haven't had var in the championship but fans are moaning every week about the ref....
    Var is a great piece of technology and need developing even further so refs/linesman can be eliminated from the game all together...
    Unfortunately that would also eliminate one of the 3 songs that we sing at NYS!

The biggest flaw in the "offside by a toenail argument" is that no-one in authority is prepared to confirm that the technology is absolutely and utterly capable without a shadow of doubt able to capture the exact millisecond when the ball was played......and yet a player can be offside by a whisker.
    So we don't really know if these marginal decisions are actually correct anyway.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast