+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 34 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Democracy

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    FAO Animal. This bloke pretty much sums up what I've been clumsily saying about arch neoliberal Brexiteers motives for No Deal:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-neoliberalism
    They've all regular Bilderberg attendees; Ken Clarke, Osborne, Blair, Mandelson.

Millionaires working on behalf of billionaires.

Ultimately they want to abolish democracy altogether.

I wonder why Monbiot fails to mention that the EU and their supporters are neoliberal?

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    I hate to assume that anyone else can comment but here goes
    I read with interest the article you cited Paragraph 1 immediately gives me cause to think that the author is just engaging in scare tactics viz
    At first sight it’s incomprehensible. Why risk everything for a no-deal Brexit? Breaking up their own party, losing their parliamentary majority, dismantling the UK, trashing the economy, triggering shortages of food and medicine: how could any objective, for the Conservative and Unionist party, be worth this? What good does it do them?
    " trashing the economy, triggering shortages of food and medicine" ...........his opinion purporting to be fact
    Paragraph 3 says as an opener
    "This, I believe, is the key to understanding what is happening today."

the use of the words "I believe" now makes the rest of the article clearer, ie his opinion
    Stating his opinion as fact does the rest of the article no favours
    Yes that was exactly my conclusion.
    Yet another in a long line of scare tactics
    A rather desperate article to try and explain why the current plan isn't what the author wants.
    He needs to think of something else that's a bit more convincing.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    I wonder why Monbiot fails to mention that the EU and their supporters are neoliberal?
    Exactly GF. Which is why I think anyone who actually bothers to read it need to open their mind to its content and not what the 2 great minds have done to dismiss it as anti EU.

Thatcher was a neoliberal who created the Single European Act (that laid the foundation for the Single Market) to achieve that very end. There are parts of the leave campaign (ERG and, I fear, those led by Johnson) who who want us to leave to further their neoliberal ambition.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Exactly GF. Which is why I think anyone who actually bothers to read it need to open their mind to its content and not what the 2 great minds have done to dismiss it as anti EU.

Thatcher was a neoliberal who created the Single European Act (that laid the foundation for the Single Market) to achieve that very end. There are parts of the leave campaign (ERG and, I fear, those led by Johnson) who who want us to leave to further their neoliberal ambition.
    The weird thing is, he does say that Blair is neoliberal but then fails to mention his support for the EU or the fact that he's currently advising the Remain campaign.

But why would you need to leave the neoliberal EU to further your neoliberal ambition? You're as confused as he is.

The weird thing is, he does say that Blair is neoliberal but then fails to mention his support for the EU or the fact that he's currently advising the Remain campaign.

But why would you need to leave the neoliberal EU to further your neoliberal ambition? You're as confused as he is.
    Thatcher too is a neoliberal and ath architect of the Single Market, as is much of the Leave campaign group. Not sure what Brexiteer expect after we leave.

Isnt the whole idea of Brexit that we are free to trade globally?

Isnt the whole idea of Brexit that we are free to trade globally?
    Why would neoliberals want to leave the neoliberal EU though?

Why would neoliberals want to leave the neoliberal EU though?
    My answer is to further their neoliberal ambition. Brexiteers say that by leaving the EU we can strike free trade agreements with countries worldwide. Johnson and his cronies want to turn areas of the UK into Dubai style free trade ports. Rees Moggs ERG would like to deregulate our employment law and work practices to make the UK more attractive for trade. They say membership of the EU prohibits us from making these trade deals and changes.

However, you dont seem to accept this as an answer. So, maybe, you need to aim that question at a Brexiteer.

My answer is to further their neoliberal ambition. Brexiteers say that by leaving the EU we can strike free trade agreements with countries worldwide. Johnson and his cronies want to turn areas of the UK into Dubai style free trade ports. Rees Moggs ERG would like to deregulate our employment law and work practices to make the UK more attractive for trade. They say membership of the EU prohibits us from making these trade deals and changes.

However, you dont seem to accept this as an answer. So, maybe, you need to aim that question at a Brexiteer.
    The current EU laws on Employment are ghastly and protect no-one.

As i said before I can buy fake goods from African gentlemen (if I wanted) in spain while eating my lunch in a restaurant while a policeman looks on outside a shop that pays taxes and its a normal occurrence.....other cultures and economic factors make this project a joke

Page 34 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast