+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 35 of 172 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast

Thread: Next manager

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    I hope if McCulloch got the job it was for genuine reasons and not a ‘Get It Up Ye Robbie and Budgie’ and find yourself another assistant. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face...........
    I cannot see any genuine reason why McCulloch can be the outstanding candidate for the job,i think what my last two posts show is do not have 100% trust in Tony Asghar i'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenshedtastic View Post
    hopkin not been mentioned much by anyone which is good as i personally don't rate the guy. thought he done well with livi but failed down south and his morton team were brutal.

Im surprised Holt hasnt been mentioned much either. done a good job with Livi esp considering they lost some key players last summer.

However, Holt is a very similar mould to Tommy Wright.
    Holt is my number one choice

He did really well at Falkirk before going down to England as an assistant

Impressive record in the premier then with Livi who have started each season as favourites for the drop

I am not keen on McCulloch as manager. His record at Killie was poor. It is too much of a risk to think the same thing might happen again. We need to be up to speed quickly and a manager with premier experience is essential

I also don't want another left field appointment like a Csaba. Some of the names being bandied around are filling me with dread.

You can only be so good as a manager. Going around lots of countries and not keeping a job anywhere for very long is not the sign of a good manager

The best managers for us are the young, hungry managers on the way up that know the Scottish game, particularly at this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by LSArab View Post
    Holt is my number one choice

He did really well at Falkirk before going down to England as an assistant

Impressive record in the premier then with Livi who have started each season as favourites for the drop

I am not keen on McCulloch as manager. His record at Killie was poor. It is too much of a risk to think the same thing might happen again. We need to be up to speed quickly and a manager with premier experience is essential

I also don't want another left field appointment like a Csaba. Some of the names being bandied around are filling me with dread.

You can only be so good as a manager. Going around lots of countries and not keeping a job anywhere for very long is not the sign of a good manager

The best managers for us are the young, hungry managers on the way up that know the Scottish game, particularly at this moment.
    McCulloch had a win ratio at Killie of around 26%,he lost his job when Killie failed to win any of their first eight games of the season.

Under McCulloch Killie lost their first Ayrshire Derby in 18 years in the League Cup then failed to win any of 5 home games at the start of the League,after Clarke was appointed they won away at Partick then drew another 2 games away to both halves of the Old Firm.

The team must have been half decent given Clarke's first 3 results all away from home.

Dundee United hope to begin interviewing candidates for their managerial vacancy as early as this weekend.

There has been no shortage of hopefuls looking to replace Robbie Neilson but the Tangerines’ sporting director Tony Asghar is understood to have compiled a compact group of serious contenders.

United have been active in pursuing people they have pinpointed as capable of leading the club back into the Premiership rather waiting on applications, working under the restrictions imposed by the coronavirus lockdown.

Former St Johnstone boss Tommy Wright has been waiting to see if he has won the race to be the next Northern Ireland gaffer.

Even if his bid to manage his country is unsuccessful, Wright may still not fancy the United job because of a desire to be his own man instead of working under the kind of managerial structure in place at Tannadice.

Current Tangerines’ assistant Lee McCulloch has taken over from Wright as favourite with some bookies but there is still a chance he will join Neilson at Hearts.

Other names to have been linked with United are Dundee-born Stephen Glass, who coaches Atlanta United 2 in the US, Livingston’s Gary Holt, ex-Ross County boss Derek Adams, former Arsenal goalie Jens Lehmann, Croatian coach Marijo Tot and former United and Scotland manager Craig Levein

Quote Originally Posted by BudMill90 View Post
    Dundee United hope to begin interviewing candidates for their managerial vacancy as early as this weekend.

There has been no shortage of hopefuls looking to replace Robbie Neilson but the Tangerines’ sporting director Tony Asghar is understood to have compiled a compact group of serious contenders.

United have been active in pursuing people they have pinpointed as capable of leading the club back into the Premiership rather waiting on applications, working under the restrictions imposed by the coronavirus lockdown.

Former St Johnstone boss Tommy Wright has been waiting to see if he has won the race to be the next Northern Ireland gaffer.

Even if his bid to manage his country is unsuccessful, Wright may still not fancy the United job because of a desire to be his own man instead of working under the kind of managerial structure in place at Tannadice.

Current Tangerines’ assistant Lee McCulloch has taken over from Wright as favourite with some bookies but there is still a chance he will join Neilson at Hearts.

Other names to have been linked with United are Dundee-born Stephen Glass, who coaches Atlanta United 2 in the US, Livingston’s Gary Holt, ex-Ross County boss Derek Adams, former Arsenal goalie Jens Lehmann, Croatian coach Marijo Tot and former United and Scotland manager Craig Levein
    Only one of those names I would want is Holt.

I loved levein but his time for United has passed. That kind of return of a manger 10 years later has never worked - but like Keegan coming back to Newcastle

Jings, that's a scary list. And McCulloch being the bookies number 1 is even scarier.

One out of work manager with an outstanding track record, not yet mentioned, is Billy Davies. He over-achieved reaching the championship play-offs 4 times with Preston, Derby and Forest twice. They were all lower half clubs before and mostly have been since. Seems chairmen are a bit wary of him because he's got some previous for calling them out in the media for not backing him, but players that played under him speak very highly of him. If Ogren wants to show some ambition like he did getting Shankland (which btw is what got us promoted, not Neilson), and like Killie did going for Steve Clarke, someone with Davies' CV would normally be well out of reach for Utd but he has been out the game a while so might see it as a chance to rebuild his reputation...

Quote Originally Posted by swissarab View Post
    One out of work manager with an outstanding track record, not yet mentioned, is Billy Davies. He over-achieved reaching the championship play-offs 4 times with Preston, Derby and Forest twice. They were all lower half clubs before and mostly have been since. Seems chairmen are a bit wary of him because he's got some previous for calling them out in the media for not backing him, but players that played under him speak very highly of him. If Ogren wants to show some ambition like he did getting Shankland (which btw is what got us promoted, not Neilson), and like Killie did going for Steve Clarke, someone with Davies' CV would normally be well out of reach for Utd but he has been out the game a while so might see it as a chance to rebuild his reputation...
    I've probably mentioned Davies after every managerial departure since Jackie Mac but he's previously said that the Utd job wasn't for him ie we aren't a big enough club for him.

In a heartbeat though.

Still think we should be having a look at Nigel Clough

Page 35 of 172 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)