+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bury expelled from the FL

Quote Originally Posted by Livid View Post
    Our council did right by us, why would the council in Bury be any different?
    The council own our land. Iirc, Gigg Lane is mortgaged up to the hilt and privately owned Also we still have a club. Now there's no club at Bury, much easier to allow the owner to sell for building on.

Quote Originally Posted by ivansneck View Post
    What a contrast to our situation. We got offers of help from our closest rivals (Thanks NFFC fans) and Juventus. Man C and Man U did nothing. Those clubs are owned by scum and run by scum and a lot of their supporters are scum of the earth. As are Sky, the FA, the premier league and the EFL. Shame on all of you, and the cretins who mismanaged Bury.
    Agreed. Football has changed so much since the Premier League was established - a league designed purely to entertain people in their living rooms. The money that clubs receive at that level is disgusting. It results in ever-increasing wage demands from out-of-touch prima donnas and their parasitic agents. The only 'trickle down' effect is that lower-league clubs also experience increasing wage demands, making the standard business model of balancing income with expenditure impossible.

Sadly, the public have bought into it. Most 'fans' these days are content to 'support' a club that they have no connection to. The last office I worked in in the UK had fans of Manchester United, Liverpool, Spurs, etc. Everyone talked about the 'big game' on a Monday, and mocked each other if their team lost. None of them watched those teams live or ever planned to. It's pathetic. I was literally the only one I met who watched live football (for which I was mocked, obviously). What happened to supporting your local club?

Football teams are the heart and soul of communities, yet most football fans now know more about what's going on at PSG or Man City than they do at the club down the road. Personally, I haven't watched a Premier League game in years. I'm not interested. Give me lower-league football and a local team that represents my friends, family, and community any day of the week, no matter how **** we are.

My heart goes out to all the Bury fans. I'm gutted for them, truly. And now I realise just how lucky we have been, and just how close we came to losing our club. Thanks again to the Reedtz bros for stepping in and saving us.
    Last edited by slack_pie; 28-08-2019 at 07:50 AM.

My heart goes out to Bury supporters and I can imagine their anger at Steve Dale is immense. I agree with alot of the above comments especially Slacks. I come from and live in Leeds and that's one thing you can say about their fans, they do go to the games and protest against the messing about of the club and fixtures to suit Sky.

I hope Bury can come back in some form.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyt1 View Post
    I don’t believe in bail outs, it’s a free market economy.

There will always be those that have and those that have not.

Regulation isn’t the answer, responsible management is.

I’m as sad as anyone over Burys demise, but it could be argued that they spent beyond their means to achieve promotion last term, or over the past number of seasons accruing debt.

Even their CVA was strange with HMRC prepared to write off debt etc.

I truly hope they can survive but I suspect the current business now faces liquidation given a lack of income and they can bounce back from two or three levels below Notts.
    For once I find myself in general agreement with Jonnyt. Professional Football Clubs are independent Limited Companies (well I think all were except Florest until relatively recentl in my lifetime). They are businesses and some basic rules of business are:

1) Stay in business
    2) Don't make any decision that if it goes wrong will take you out of business.

It isn't the job of Tesco to keep the corner shop in business and it isn't the job of Man U to keep Bury/Bolton in business.

I seem to recall we were on the fringe of going out of business in the mid-60's. Didn't a consortium of some sort keep us afloat until Dunnett turned up? Now I ask what happened to the proceeds of the record gates from the Lawton era, the monies from the sale of Hateley, Astle, big sums in the day. The high gates of the late 50's early 60's. This had nothing to do with the Premiership.

Steps have been taken to try and address some of the circumventing of walking away from debt, and there's a lot of clubs in recent years who've been near, or got, there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admini...tration_or_CVA

A limited company is owned by its shareholders and over-interference may well be deemed not legal.

Should the richer clubs support the less well off clubs? On what basis? Where does the buck stop? They can't provide formal support as no owner can have an interest in more than one league club. Money in buckets doesn't cut it long term and a lucrative friendly is only covering the cracks.

The onus comes down to, as with any business, those that are running it. Unless the EFL (ie the clubs in the EFL) change the rules of entry then all clubs are at the mercy of over-ambitious, incompetent, vanity seeking owners who think success in one field of business gives them a god-written right to do better than all the other clubs that are aiming for success. However it also seems that the majority of them are prepared to live within their means.

Any owner who risks the two business rules cited above because of supporter pressure should not be running a club and if the fans are voting with their feet they need to reappraise their approach.

I'm really gutted for Bury, and Bolton in particular have played a significant part in our history. I recall the optimism of the newly promoted Notts in 60/61 being given a lesson in direct attacking football by Bury (0-3 at home, 0-7 away and we had the larger attendance).

Hopefully they will both return (I assume Bolton are doomed) and one day resume their historical place alongside us in the real league.

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    The council own our land. Iirc, Gigg Lane is mortgaged up to the hilt and privately owned Also we still have a club. Now there's no club at Bury, much easier to allow the owner to sell for building on.
    Bury still exist as a club, they can still apply to enter a league at a lower level but the chances of anyone buying a heavily in debt club with no league to play in is very remote unless they have a very wealthy fan but I'd have thought they'd have come forward b fore now anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Looks like you can add Stags fans to that list - the last 3 posts on their Bury thread say "Cheats", "Bury have quite rightly been kicked out of the Football League", and "Goodbye cheats".
    Presumably they are bitter because if they had been thorown out last year/season , MTFC would have been promoted (and NCFC wouldnt have been relegated) ???

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    For once I find myself in general agreement with Jonnyt. Professional Football Clubs are independent Limited Companies (well I think all were except Florest until relatively recentl in my lifetime). They are businesses and some basic rules of business are:

1) Stay in business
    2) Don't make any decision that if it goes wrong will take you out of business.

It isn't the job of Tesco to keep the corner shop in business and it isn't the job of Man U to keep Bury/Bolton in business.

I seem to recall we were on the fringe of going out of business in the mid-60's. Didn't a consortium of some sort keep us afloat until Dunnett turned up? Now I ask what happened to the proceeds of the record gates from the Lawton era, the monies from the sale of Hateley, Astle, big sums in the day. The high gates of the late 50's early 60's. This had nothing to do with the Premiership.

Steps have been taken to try and address some of the circumventing of walking away from debt, and there's a lot of clubs in recent years who've been near, or got, there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admini...tration_or_CVA

A limited company is owned by its shareholders and over-interference may well be deemed not legal.

Should the richer clubs support the less well off clubs? On what basis? Where does the buck stop? They can't provide formal support as no owner can have an interest in more than one league club. Money in buckets doesn't cut it long term and a lucrative friendly is only covering the cracks.

The onus comes down to, as with any business, those that are running it. Unless the EFL (ie the clubs in the EFL) change the rules of entry then all clubs are at the mercy of over-ambitious, incompetent, vanity seeking owners who think success in one field of business gives them a god-written right to do better than all the other clubs that are aiming for success. However it also seems that the majority of them are prepared to live within their means.

Any owner who risks the two business rules cited above because of supporter pressure should not be running a club and if the fans are voting with their feet they need to reappraise their approach.

I'm really gutted for Bury, and Bolton in particular have played a significant part in our history. I recall the optimism of the newly promoted Notts in 60/61 being given a lesson in direct attacking football by Bury (0-3 at home, 0-7 away and we had the larger attendance).

Hopefully they will both return (I assume Bolton are doomed) and one day resume their historical place alongside us in the real league.
    Seems like a fair assessment.

A good few people are romanticising football before 1992 as if all of this is Sky’s or the Premier League’s fault.

Football when I was growing up in the 80s was in a terrible state. Crappy grounds, hooliganism, disasters and poor attendances, Thatcher’s membership cards. And clubs got kicked out of the league and went bust then as well. Notts very nearly did in 1987. What we’ve had since 92 has been a golden age in comparison.

I have no idea what you formally do to prevent the mismanagement that has led to Bury’s demise. Clubs have got to start living within their means but how that is enforced is the big question.
    Last edited by BigFatPie; 28-08-2019 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    They can only sell Gigg Lane if a new stadium has been built first ....... BBC News interview at the ground this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by macse15 View Post
    Presumably they are bitter because if they had been thorown out last year/season , MTFC would have been promoted (and NCFC wouldnt have been relegated) ???
    I think their main argument is that they spent above their means to get promotion... Exactly what they're trying to do. They only exist on handouts from their owner, he's moved to Portugal now so it won't be long until he loses interest and they're in a similar boat.

Gutted for Bury fans and everyone connected with the Club. We were extremely close to the same outcome ourselves. I think the EFL has a lot to answer for for its "governance". The fit and proper person test is a joke. How Steve Dale was allowed to buy Bury for £1 in the condition it was clearly in is beyond me. He clearly didn't have the means or the interest to keep them going.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast