+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Young Dons v Huddersfield Match Thread

Quote Originally Posted by hulldon View Post
    Well played looks and special mention to Doug McKay, a Dons fan who’d driven down fae Aberdeen for the game!
    Aye Dougie McKay. He reckons he's only missed one Dons game in Europe ever (when I spoke to him going down to Ayr for a league cup match three seasons ago) because the club could only secure a certain amount of visas as it was behind the old Iron Curtain. We attempted to guess which match it was but he couldn't remember. I'm sure it was Dinamo Tirana because I remembered reading the club had via issues entering the then bizarre Maoist/Stalinist terrority of dictator Enver Hoxha (I was actually there this year and loved the place and went up to Shkoder for Albania v Turkey).

We spoke to him back in 2001 when we was over to watch the Dons play two matches at La Cala Golf Resort in Southern Spain against 1860 Munich and the Tunisian national team. During one of the days between the matches we spoke to him in a bar and he was telling us how he had only missed one Aberdeen match in the preceding 30 years. The next day, my mate and I were drinking at a bar when Ebbe Skovdal, Zeroauli, David Wylie and others passed and Ebbe came over and told us that the Tunisian national team had pulled out of the match and we were playing 1860 Munich again at the same venue but at a different time. Well we never saw Dougie between then and when the match kicked off a day or so later, and when we arrived we looked around the park but there was no sign of Dougie. He definitely missed that one...

Aye re Dougie. He mentioned he’d hardly missed a game in 30 years plus, home and away, reserves too! Definitely a „Top Don“

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234