+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: O/T:- Glastonbury Highlights

Hasn't glastonbury evolved significantly since the 1990s? It's grown hugely since those days, diversified.

I don't know the numbers but hasn't the whole music festival scene and number of festivals changed since those days? Seems a lot more now making sure there is something for everyone. Back then for my friend group it was all about the Reading festivals and not much else due to our music tastes at the time.

Thought the same about Debbie Harry, her opening vocals were shockingly bad and only got marginally better , but she was saved by so many great songs.

Was discussing with the wife over the weekend, who are big bands of now who could headline? We were struggling big time. Seems a real dearth of great bands nowadays full stop , it's all solo stars that fit the profile to headline of the world's most iconic and largest festivals.

Sad times. Still old boy Sir Elton was flipping fabulous no matter what age or class you are.

Bennie and the Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post

Still old boy Sir Elton was flipping fabulous no matter what age or class you are.

Bennie and the Jets.
    I read and enjoyed his recent autobiography, very funny in parts and quite a lot about football.

Only thing he's done musically that's really impressed me was his live NYC performance of "60 years On" in 1970.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-4DQ-QskWk

Did you watch on Sunday night? It would be hard not to be impressed.

5*

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I'm as big a fan of Blondie - the band - as you'll find anywhere, but they're a case in point. The musicians still sound good enough and Clem Burke on drums is a God, but Debbie (sorry, Deborah) Harry's voice is gone, which renders the act pointless. Her powerful voice back in the 70's/80's was such a key part of their sound, especially on tracks like 'Atomic'. I found her performance yesterday quite sad to watch.

The thing is, the headline acts at Glastonbury back in the 1990's were the huge acts of that era: Oasis, Blur, Pulp, Happy Mondays, Levellers, Ash, The Prodigy, Radiohead, REM etc. I hate the term when it's used by critics, but they were "relevant" to what the young people of that time were listening to.

This year and in recent years, Glastonbury's headline acts seem to be harking back to two, three or even four decades earlier. What was once a cool, cutting edge music festival now seems to be a platform for old stagers seeking their last hurrah. It might go down well with the (surprisingly old) demographic of the Notts MAD message board, but it should be evolving in line with the new, young generations of today.
    I think the beauty of Glasto is its combines new & old , current and iconic. Enough for the young , pretending to be young and old to be entertained

Those bloody flags need shoving where the sun no longer shines.. How annoying.

I enjoyed it this year.
    I do agree with others on here that most aging stars have just lost it, and should be told to give it a rest. But Elton was absolutely on point.
    I think there’s plenty of current artists playing, they just don’t get as much air time on TV.
    I thought the Arctic Monkeys got the set wrong. Too many slow, unknown songs, for a crowd that wanted to hear the ‘bangers.’ It was just boring.
    Dermot Kennedy was very good.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Those bloody flags need shoving where the sun no longer shines.. How annoying.
    well Certainly the Florist one !

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    I enjoyed it this year.
    I do agree with others on here that most aging stars have just lost it, and should be told to give it a rest. But Elton was absolutely on point.
    I think there’s plenty of current artists playing, they just don’t get as much air time on TV.
    I thought the Arctic Monkeys got the set wrong. Too many slow, unknown songs, for a crowd that wanted to hear the ‘bangers.’ It was just boring.
    Dermot Kennedy was very good.
    Was looking forward to the Artics but completely agree they got it wrong !! No From the Ritz to the Rubble or When the Sun Goes down !
    king Sausage fingers needs to put them in the Tower !!

I think there's some missing of the main point of Glastonbury here. It's a live event first and foremost, that's now televised. Just being in the same sun-baked field with Debbie Harry singing to you is the whole actual f*cking point of life, for a start, not how well she did bless her, then there's the vibe, the campfires, the swag, (the drip?) the whole range of music like having half your favourite bands busking along one avenue, and then ten news ones. Expect others here have their own stories of walking in the same mud as Peter Gabriel, smelling the very genius of Jah Wobble, experiencing a drunk on scrumpy afternoon in a sweat-yurt with the full ensemble Penguin Cafe Orchestra belting out Music For A Found Harmonium...
    Last edited by Mud Pie; 26-06-2023 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CamPie View Post
    Funny I was thinking similar.
    Ditto😂😂

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234