+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The annual where are we going to finish prediction thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    This 'it takes time to gel' is largely rubbish, good players remain good players and if the manager picks the right formation, a good team will beat a lesser team 99% of the time.

I can't see the sense in splitting up the first team to play two different matches if they need to 'gel'.

If this team fails at this level, my own view is that it will have been down to Nolan's stubborness to play a certain way or getting his tactics wrong.

Fingers crossed.
    Agreed. On the 'serious' friendlies showing, I'd say we'll be lucky to make 12th. Let's hope for better.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    I agree with that. As i have said many times Nolan is a one trick pony and this will eventually cost him his job..
    I agree that the final friendly before the real deal is surely the time to try what should be close to a first 11 even if just for 60 mins or so. KN looked anxious in the post Luton interview, and with AH opening the chequebook to fund supposed decent ball players to improve the squad there must be pressure to convert the style of play accordingly. I hope that KN can adapt, and given the level he played at and some of the players he played with, surely he must believe that he can set-out a decent football team?

I hope you are wrong Durham, I can't take any more disappointment!

With the squad we have assembled top 3, maybe even Champions, early days yet though for me, but I believe we will be promoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridg4d_Pie_ View Post
    With the squad we have assembled top 3, maybe even Champions, early days yet though for me, but I believe we will be promoted.
    Hi Bridg4d, If Man Utd had Charlie Chaplin as manager they would get relegated regardless of the quality of player..

Quote Originally Posted by CmonU***yStylishPies View Post
    After uninspiring pre season results is anyone adjusting their prediction?
    Pre-season results don't mean anything in themselves, but the games can be a pointer to issues which need to be addressed. We've got plenty of midfielders but perhaps not of the type where we can play just two in a 4-4-2, so I wouldn't be surprised if early results force Nolan into a re-think. And I'm sorry, even with Ben Hall returning I still (STILL!) think we're short of quality at centre-half and that offering Duffy a new contract, instead of using his wages to recruit a better replacement, was a mistake.

All that said though, we've got a lot more goal power than last season, when we were relying too much on Jorge Grant, so with a few tweaks and the right tactics I see no reason why we can't finish top three. The biggest challenge may be how the players handle that expectation.

We've got a good set of players who will need some time to learn each other's strengths and weaknesses. Playing against "pub" teams and Championship sides is, in my opinion, not the best way to learn. Players will either grow or wilt depending on the quality of the opposition, therefore, again in my op, you are not getting the best sight of their ability to play against League 2 opposition. Now we will see the quality of our manager and his experience of this situation, i.e. seeing which players play best as part of a team, and those who (like Grant) are better running where they see the chance might come or the ball might bounce. This job is made even more difficult when most of the players in your team are new to each other.

Step forward Kevin Nolan - I wouldn't be in your shoes for a fortune.

Last season Coventry City- I am reliably advised- failed to win any of their pre season friendlies, but still managed to beat us 3-0 on the opening day.
    Our chairman has placed enormous faith in Kevin Nolan and now he really has to produce the goods, and of course only the passage of time will prove our success or otherwise. I guess like all contributors to this site, we are desperate for success in 2018/19. My short term concern is that we appear to missing opportunities in front of goal and I fear that in the short term at least, Mr Nolan may be under a lot of pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by CheltenhamPie View Post
    Last season Coventry City- I am reliably advised- failed to win any of their pre season friendlies, but still managed to beat us 3-0 on the opening day.
    Our chairman has placed enormous faith in Kevin Nolan and now he really has to produce the goods, and of course only the passage of time will prove our success or otherwise. I guess like all contributors to this site, we are desperate for success in 2018/19. My short term concern is that we appear to missing opportunities in front of goal and I fear that in the short term at least, Mr Nolan may be under a lot of pressure.
    We didnt create any opportunities yesterday..Apart from Hemmings header//

I think the question we all want the answer to is can Nolan change his style to incorporate the new ball players? His style of play did wonders with a limited squad last season but now has he the managerial skill to turn a workmanlike side into one we might class as a slick, ball playing side. I'm not sure yet, I think although I don't hold much stock in pre season friendlies, the lack of decent play plus defending has been a little worrying. I don't see the point in splitting the team for the last game, I would have thought he should have settled on his best 11 by now but don't think he knows.

I agree with a lot of other posters on here as in maybe a slow, inconsistent start but once the team settles and we find a workable starting 11 then we should start to see some good results. It's how you finish after all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Pre-season results don't mean anything in themselves, but the games can be a pointer to issues which need to be addressed. We've got plenty of midfielders but perhaps not of the type where we can play just two in a 4-4-2, so I wouldn't be surprised if early results force Nolan into a re-think. And I'm sorry, even with Ben Hall returning I still (STILL!) think we're short of quality at centre-half and that offering Duffy a new contract, instead of using his wages to recruit a better replacement, was a mistake.

All that said though, we've got a lot more goal power than last season, when we were relying too much on Jorge Grant, so with a few tweaks and the right tactics I see no reason why we can't finish top three. The biggest challenge may be how the players handle that expectation.
    I agree about the centre half, we look ponderous against teams with a bit of pace up front imo.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast