+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The January 2020 Transfer window

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    Have to agree with that.

Not sure how anyone in the defence can be classed as a consistent performer when we have been conceding so many goals.
    Because some players in the defence might make more mistakes than others It’s nae that complicated.
    Or, for example ,one defender (say, the right back, for argument’s sake) might needlessly and lazily foul an opponent to give away a penalty , when the defence as a whole has been playing pretty well up to that point. Bit harsh to blame the whole defence for the right back’s brainless mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by redstarfk View Post
    Does it ? .....I’m not convinced that these stats back up your view. Especially given that 10 of our goals came in the first four European games against pretty weak opponents. I’d say that Dundee were a stronger team than either of them , or at least they were against us.
    Excellent intervention Crvena Zvezda.

Keep it up.

Agreed that Cosgrove being fairly prolific ,especially with penalties , has been crucial for us. But , there have been a few games , even ones in which he’s scored , where his overall performance has been pretty poor. And , in my opinion he’s had more of those sort of poor performances in his position and designated role , than Considine has in his position.
    That’s where we differ...give me a an attacking player that maybe isn’t blessed with a lot of ability but still finds the net, rather than a dodgy experienced defender who can’t keep teams from scoring goals against us.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Moog View Post
    20 goals last season. 10 goals in 10 games this season so far yet all you do is criticise the lad - its ridiculous.

I know you watch all the games on TV so you probably dont see as much of the action as those of us there in the flesh so let me confirm for you that Cosgrove's movement, touch & link up play has improved immeasureably in the last season. Still plenty room for more improvement, but he's still young & its come on a bomb from the boy we saw first break into the team start of last season.

The critisicm I do agree with is he does tend to go down far too easily for a boy of his size, & he does miss a good few sitters (which striker doesnt), but his goalscoring record since November last year is outstanding, & that's what matters for a striker at the end of the day.

Lazio can't be wrong now can they
    I will stand by what I have said since the very day we signed the lad
    "if we want to move our club on to the next level from where we are we should not!!! be relying on players of the "standard" of cosgrove to help us achieve that. Nuff said.

Oh and my humble apologies for not being able to be a Top Red and to be there in the flesh ever week

SF
    Last edited by blowupsheep; 05-09-2019 at 02:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PittodriePile View Post
    Embarrassing stuff.
    see post 34 above

Because some players in the defence might make more mistakes than others It’s nae that complicated.
    Or, for example ,one defender (say, the right back, for argument’s sake) might needlessly and lazily foul an opponent to give away a penalty , when the defence as a whole has been playing pretty well up to that point. Bit harsh to blame the whole defence for the right back’s brainless mistake.
    Or another example of giving away a needless penalty could be the one against Dundee,who was that again?

I said that 18 goals in 11 games wasn’t that great but it’s still better than the amount of goals we have conceded.

The defence so far has been the same as last season,too many silly mistakes by individuals and Considine has been as guilty as the rest of the defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    Or another example of giving away a needless penalty could be the one against Dundee,who was that again?

I said that 18 goals in 11 games wasn’t that great but it’s still better than the amount of goals we have conceded.

The defence so far has been the same as last season,too many silly mistakes by individuals and Considine has been as guilty as the rest of the defenders.
    Considine has to put up with more than our other defenders though. The conditions have more of an impact on him. Once he's more experienced he'll be able to negate all that.

Quote Originally Posted by blowupsheep View Post
    I will stand by what I have said since the very day we signed the lad
    "if we want to move our club on to the next level from where we are we should not!!! be relying on players of the "standard" of cosgrove to help us achieve that. Nuff said.

Oh and my humble apologies for not being able to be a Top Red and to be there in the flesh ever week

SF
    You've certainly been consistent BUS min - I'll give you that - but you're complete inability to see & appreciate the development & progress in a fairly short period of time of what was certainly a very raw young player into a far better all round focal point for the attack completely undermines any credibility your point of view might have had.

I've seen you hold your hands up a few times when you've posted in haste - fair play - so I dont understand why you cant cut the lad some slack. AFC are not going to attract another striker who'll get 30 goals between now and this time next year unless we struck very lucky so Cosgrove is overachieving if anything this last 9 months.

The boys a striker, his job it to score goals. His record of doing that is outstanding since Nov last year. As good, if not better than anyone in the league. That's what he's here for.

Apology accpeted as clearly your complete lack of "Top Redness" is a major factor in your blind spot here as well.
    Last edited by The_Moog; 05-09-2019 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Moog View Post

Apology accpeted as clearly your complete lack of "Top Redness" is a major factor in your blind spot here as well.
    We better watch oot Moog as the cops will be along soon accusing us of derailing a thread and taking it off topic.
    I have cut the donkey a wee bit of slack and have given him credit noo and again (nae very often right enougH) and I'm pretty sure you've seen that from me, His confidence for taking penalties is up there and thats a good thing as we do need someone consistently confident for penalty taking so fair play to the lad for having the level of confidence he has from the spot.
    As I said pal I will always stand by my thoughts since the very day we signed him and that will nae change from me, I think we have all gathered that by now.

Back on topic I still think there is a chance he might be away in the January 2020 transfer window for 99p and a packet of crisps.

Back off topic, as for the most consistent player so far this season, Ive said it afore and saying ot again I do believe that James Wilson is worthy of a shout for that accolade

Cheers moog and keep up the good work on your match reports I do enjoy reading them.
    You know how it is with nae being able to be a top red and all that and having to rely on Red TV International then your reports helps me see things than my lack of top redness blindspot disna see.

Cheers min

The Considine debate does the rounds on here every few months, and has done for the best part of a decade on these forums all in.

He goes through phases when he's fine, and he goes through periods when he's honking, but it was proven conclusively first in circa 2007, and then again regularly since then, that if you play Considine for a sustained period of time at centre back then the team's results falter.

The argument from his supporters is that he is better at centre back than at left back. Whether or not that is true (and I disagree) is moot, because he's fundamentally not good enough for our club at centre back if we are serious about actually winning things.

It's been that way for more than 10 years and it hasn't changed.

He is one of these players that is a useful back-up option - someone who can fill in when there's a short-term injury or suspension to a first teamer, but the fact some fans see him as a starter in central defence despite the weight of evidence over the long term against that view continues to stagger me to this day.

We can and must do better.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast