+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Retained list...

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    I'm happy Fozzy is staying, in the games he played he was often Motm. His experience around the squad will be useful still.
    Agreed, IMO no Fozzy = no versatile cover (if that’s his role)

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    I'm happy Fozzy is staying, in the games he played he was often Motm. His experience around the squad will be useful still.
    In fact Fozzy’s retention may have done for another utility player, Smith. Who knows?

Interesting, of course one doesn't know the facts behind Smith and Wildsmith, perhaps they wanted bigger contracts than Derby were prepared to offer. Certainly given the fact that there have been rumours for a couple of weeks about wanting another keeper, then either Warne doesn't fancy Wildsmith in the championship OR his wage demands were in excess what Derby were prepared to pay.

Rumours suggest that the keeper Johansson is off to Stoke.

As AF says not exactly ripping up the squad, but in truth many being kept on will probably only be squad players, I expect to see 7 or 8 signings be they loans or transfers, but Warne needs to get another keeper in obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I’ve been witness to the embarrassing ping pong between Swale and yourself on matters football so I’ll just say IMO it’s a valid comparison and leave it at that, no matter your comeback. The Brexit comment was merely analogising my approach to this issue (and, thank God, life in general)
    Lol…yep, you’re right…my football squabble with Swale was beyond daft at times…but it was over opinions rather than facts, and I’m not sure it was any more embarrassing than your ongoing and endless ‘pig pong’ with the same poster over the term ‘gammon’.

‘Let him who casts the first stone…’
    Last edited by ramAnag; 18-05-2024 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Interesting, of course one doesn't know the facts behind Smith and Wildsmith, perhaps they wanted bigger contracts than Derby were prepared to offer. Certainly given the fact that there have been rumours for a couple of weeks about wanting another keeper, then either Warne doesn't fancy Wildsmith in the championship OR his wage demands were in excess what Derby were prepared to pay.

Rumours suggest that the keeper Johansson is off to Stoke.
    It is interesting, and slightly curious. You’d expect them to want ‘bigger contracts’ I’d imagine, seeing as they would have been playing at a higher level which they’ve played no small part in getting Derby to.
    I’d be surprised if their demands/expectations would be excessive given the circumstances of their arrival at Derby and the fact that they’ve been with us for our two years of being relative ‘paupers’.
    Guess, as you say, we’ll never know the fine details but, to me, it’s disappointing…as they’re two extra ‘holes’ we have to fill which I’d anticipated being more than adequately and reliably filled already.

Think Johansson from Rotherham to Stoke is more than a rumour…it’s a completed deal.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 19-05-2024 at 08:52 AM.

Personally I've always enjoyed filling two extra holes. Fnaar, fnaar

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    It is interesting, and slightly curious. You’d expect them to want ‘bigger contracts’ I’d imagine, seeing as they would have been playing at a higher level which they’ve played no small part in getting Derby to.
    I’d be surprised if their demands/expectations would be excessive given the circumstances of their arrival at Derby and the fact that they’ve been with us for our two years of being relative ‘paupers’.
    Guess, as you say, we’ll never know the fine details but, to me, it’s disappointing…as they’re two extra ‘holes’ we have to fill which I’d anticipated being more than adequately and reliably filled already.

Think Johansson from Rotherham to Stoke is more than a rumour…it’s a completed deal.
    So it seems, I agree ( drum roll) that the Wildsmith situation is odd, I guess there are bigger contracts and sums that will potentially break the clubs budget? The issue being of course that paying one player over the odds leads to similar demands from other players and that isn't sustainable, the clubs been there done that, so whilst its disappointing its also perhaps a welcome sign that the club has limits and will work within those.

I wasn't too surprised, given the noises in the media about wanting another goalkeeper.

I do hope fans don't start getting carried away, Derby might be free of EFL restrictions, but Clowes doesn't seem like someone who will approve an excessive spending spree. The aim next season must surely be consolidation and look to finish as high as possible within the allowed budgets.

What many forget is that lower league footballers are a) on comfortable but not megabucks wages and b) aren’t exactly going to slot into well paid gigs when they retire so an increase in salary may really matter to them as a nest egg. Such disbelief (esp when players go to what are considered inferior clubs) is fan-driven

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    So it seems, I agree ( drum roll) that the Wildsmith situation is odd, I guess there are bigger contracts and sums that will potentially break the clubs budget? The issue being of course that paying one player over the odds leads to similar demands from other players and that isn't sustainable, the clubs been there done that, so whilst its disappointing its also perhaps a welcome sign that the club has limits and will work within those.

I wasn't too surprised, given the noises in the media about wanting another goalkeeper.

I do hope fans don't start getting carried away, Derby might be free of EFL restrictions, but Clowes doesn't seem like someone who will approve an excessive spending spree. The aim next season must surely be consolidation and look to finish as high as possible within the allowed budgets.
    Fair bit of supposition there, Swale…unless you actually know that he’s been led into asking for an ‘over the odds’ deal.
    I wouldn’t know, although he’s always appeared to me to be a very level headed and responsible chap who, perhaps more to the point, has won the ‘Golden Gloves’ award this season, has Championship experience, has made almost 100 appearances for us as part of a very strong defensive unit over the last two seasons and who, at 28, probably has another 8-10 years ahead of him.

I completely agree with your final paragraph but I think letting JW go is a major mistake and leaves ‘big boots’ to fill.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 20-05-2024 at 08:22 AM.

Did you ever play Private Fraser in Dad's Army, rA? We're doomed, we're all doomed.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)