+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Scenes at Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by Cov1 View Post
    Agreed and yes our numbers at home are underwhelming due to well documented issues with the owners. Sisu ensure several thousand stay away every home game - remember these are the idiots who took us out of our city to play home games in Northampton.

Our Away support remains superb and actually outnumbers half of the championship this season.
    That’s bullish!t unfortunately. Long before SISU came along Coventry were famed for getting shyte crowds, especially in the top league. I’ve always thought Coventry to be a bit tinpot to be honest.

From reading your board, a lot of your fans really do have a Billy Big Bollox attitude which is strange for a club so mired in failure. So what if you bring 4000 on Friday, so do f00king Mansfield.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I don't really get it when relatively big clubs have a go at smaller clubs for not having the same level of support. Coventry are by far the biggest club at this level and the only one in a fairly big city. Apart from the last few years, they've spent the vast majority of their history in the top division.

Notts, on the other hand, have been mired in the bottom two divisions for a generation, and have to compete with a far bigger club literally just over the river. If anything, Notts support and attendance is impressive given these facts, and Coventry's is a bit underwhelming. Anyway, it doesn't really matter does it - Coventry are a bigger club than Notts. We all know that.
    Coventry are no way a big club. They didn't have a ground a few years ago and they only got 17000 or so for the home leg against us. Used to be a big club.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
    Coventry are no way a big club. They didn't have a ground a few years ago and they only got 17000 or so for the home leg against us. Used to be a big club.
    You really are clueless mate. Biggest load of drivel I’ve ever read.

Coventry have an historical average of over 20k and nobody insinuates we are a ‘big’ club, we are a decent sized club with a reasonable history. So what if we got 17k (which in reality was closer to 20k), the club is at its lowest point for possibly 50+ years.

Yes we didn’t have a ground because of Sisu, go away and do your homework and then try again.

...and if we are tinpot **** knows what that makes you. Lol

Coventry is more notable for Lady Godiva and 'Peeping Tom' than for football

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
    You are right, Coventry aren't a big club - Manchester United are a big club. But they are a big club for the fourth division. Can you name a bigger one?

My point was that it's strange for relatively big clubs to have a go at smaller clubs for having worse support than them. What do they expect? It would be weird if we got relegated to non-league and started chanting 'your support is ****ing ****' at Ebbsfleet fans.

Also, it's a strange combination to give it the whole WE'RE A BIG CLUB thing and then invade the pitch when you think you've snatched a point away in the league.

All this talk about big clubs, big crowds and big noise is very ironic when you look who won this league !!! I’d take Accrington’s position at the moment and apart from a milk advert there’s nothing “big” about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Thordardaughter View Post
    All this talk about big clubs, big crowds and big noise is very ironic when you look who won this league !!! I’d take Accrington’s position at the moment and apart from a milk advert there’s nothing “big” about them.
    Spot on. Coventry are big for Division 4 which is clearly now their level based on this seasons results. As a small Midlands provincial town they seem to think they are the dogs bollox but we all know that they are in reality just another ten bob Division 4 side who think they can get out of the league by playing pretty football. If that's their attitutude their stay in the basement division will be a long one.

Coventry is a larger City than Nottingham according to official stats from the 2015 census:
    Coventry: 345,385
    Nottingham: 321,550

Given they don't have a large neighbour literally a stones throw away you would have though they should have got more than 17K, however there are mitigating circumstances. Nottingham's metropolitan area is over 900K with three clubs. Coventry on the other hand have the likes of West Brom, Birmingham, Villa and even Walsall to contend with.

However as a football supporter I for one have empathy with their plight given their owner and what has happened over the past few years.

Just imagine Notts having to play home games at Mansfield or Chesterfield?

There is no doubt with recent history they are a bigger club than Notts and I for one thought Luton, Mansfield and Coventry were the bankers for promotion given the investments and wage bills. Therefore to me Coventry have under achieved this season UNLESS they win the Playoffs. In my mind I still think they are favourites to do just that thanks to the stupid penalty. That's totally changed the dynamics of Fridays game.

Personally the best outcome for me is Notts to win the playoffs, the 2nd best outcome is for Coventry to win the playoffs as that would likely make it more likely we could get an auto place next season.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyt1 View Post
    Coventry is a larger City than Nottingham according to official stats from the 2015 census:
    Coventry: 345,385
    Nottingham: 321,550

Given they don't have a large neighbour literally a stones throw away you would have though they should have got more than 17K, however there are mitigating circumstances. Nottingham's metropolitan area is over 900K with three clubs. Coventry on the other hand have the likes of West Brom, Birmingham, Villa and even Walsall to contend with.

However as a football supporter I for one have empathy with their plight given their owner and what has happened over the past few years.

Just imagine Notts having to play home games at Mansfield or Chesterfield?

There is no doubt with recent history they are a bigger club than Notts and I for one thought Luton, Mansfield and Coventry were the bankers for promotion given the investments and wage bills. Therefore to me Coventry have under achieved this season UNLESS they win the Playoffs. In my mind I still think they are favourites to do just that thanks to the stupid penalty. That's totally changed the dynamics of Fridays game.

Personally the best outcome for me is Notts to win the playoffs, the 2nd best outcome is for Coventry to win the playoffs as that would likely make it more likely we could get an auto place next season.
    Best post I’ve seen on here so far.

I also believe the metropolitan area of Nottingham is bigger than that of Coventry, correct me I’m wrong. Our main catchment area spreads to Nuneaton, Bedworth, Rugby, Warwick, Leamington and Stratford - however, there is also substantial support in some of those towns for Villa and Leicester.

Also worth noting that our wage spend, contrary to popular belief, is only approx half way up the ladder in League 2 and therefore underachieving is possibly questionable....

Sisu have alienated a major footballing City and the impact of that should not be underestimated. The crowd of 17500 has been widely questioned and clearly wasn’t accurate - basically would mean there were more Cov fans at the Morecambe game the week before in a crowd of 16k which Just was not the case.

We can debate all day about this “big” issue. Here’s a few interesting facts
    Accrington population approx 35,000
    Average attendance 1853
    Joint lowest budget with Morecambe
    Rented 3G pitch they have to vacate by midday
    Trapped between Burnley and Blackburn not to mention the Merseyside and Manchester clubs
    It’s not how big you are or how much you’ve got it’s what you do with it,surely you boys can understand this ��

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234