+ Visit Swindon Town FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: A Seasons review (for every team)

re: A Seasons review (for every team)

I agree Timothy Spall did seem a strange choice, but I guess they wanted a well known to play him.

There was no really big fall out between Clough and Taylor about the Leeds job. Taylor preferred not to join him at Leeds (who can blame him). The real fall out between the two of them came in the 1982 when Taylor took over at Derby, six months after telling Brian Clough that he had had enough of football and was retiring. He never told Brian he had changed his mind when he re-joined Derby and it caused friction. However, they fell out good and proper when Taylor coaxed John Robertson to leave Forest and join Derby without even contacting Clough. That was the beginning of the end between the two of them. The following season we played Forest in the FA Cup down at the BBG and I was sat not far away from the dug out and I noticed that they never once acknowledged each other, even at the end of the game, that we won. I am not sure, but I do not think they ever spoke to each ot

His wife said in that documentary about him that what Brian did at Forest would never be done again today, it would be like somebody going to somewhere like Barnsley and doing the same (or words to that effect). I wasnt too bothered about this though because I can understand what she meant.

Anyway for everybody else who is interested, do we want to move onto all our good and bad memories of the 80s now ?

Memories of Derby in the 1980s. Put simply, Very forgettable but I will try and find some positives. I suppose we had some success under Arthur Cox, so I will perhaps post a bit about that.

He managed to get us out of the Third Division. In 1987 we won the Second Division title to end a seven-year exile from the proper First Division. In October 1988, Cox signed striker Dean Saunders who quickly established himself as one of the best strikers in the English league and along with the likes of Mark Wright we emerged as surprise title contenders in the 1988/89 season, though in the end we finished fifth. We should have qualified for Europe but because of the Scousers causing mayhem at Heysel Stadium (that disaster gets swept under the carpet up in Merseyside), we were banned from competing. Cox also signed Peter Shilton, Bobby Davison and winger Ted McMinn (the Tin Man) during his time with us.

This was also the era when fatso Maxwell, the conman, was the Chairman, but thankful

I started watching us in season 1980-81 and those early 80s were still some of my happiest ever as a fan, we won promotion that first season and 1981 as a whole was a brilliant year for us. i remember a 5-1 win for us against a relegation bound Derby team in 1983-84 Ram, although that happened after we had already sacked Norman Hunter!! (and Derby have beaten us more times than I care to remember since).

The mid 80s were a hard time for us financially because of the miners strike but it did see the return of Allan Clarke again as manager, but as often happens in footy, a second spell at a previously successful club doesnt quite work out the second time around.

Its hard to believe that 1981 was 3 points for a league win for the first ever time, and after some disastrous defeats of course away at Switzerland & Norway, England finally managed to clinch a place at the following years World Cup finals. That was when I first properly got into supporting England as well so the early 8

Supporting England?......hahahahaha.

I would rather put pins in my eyes than watch those crap useless tosspots who are a bunch of overpaid, big headed, overrated, poncy, sycophantic, pompous, arrogant, supercilious pretentious, bumptious, c0cky, uppity, vain, overbearing, egotistical, boring, skill-less, thick-brained, moronic, conceited prats strolling around a football pitch as if they think they are something special, which they are certainly NOT!!!!!!!!

Come on England!

3 world wars and 1 world cup England

3 World Wars, I must have missed one somewhere?

i am looking into the future

We know you watch England on the old B&W TV in your garden shed Rammy ????

4k smart tv I will have you know!!

No bloody chance by the way. Would rather watch paint drying

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast