+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Shaw Lane AFC: Yorkshire seventh-tier side resign from Evo-Stik League

Quote Originally Posted by gkotw View Post
    As stated the only negativity towards shaw lane fc that ive encountered is the SWFC allegiance. It riled a couple of lads at work that they played in Wednesdays colours. I even know a couple of blokes (barnsley fans) who watched shaw lane play when barnsley were away.

We must move in different circles because, other than the owls grumbles, Ive heard no real dislike of shaw lane. The rugby club didnt mind them either.

A close friend of mine did a lot of utilities work with the shaw lane chap (when it was aquaforce) and he used to tell me about how obsessed he was with regards his football team. My mate predicted ages ago it would all collapse because, despite outside appearances, the money simply wasnt there. It was a house of cards.

Ps, yes I do think that Barnsley is insular. Ive worked there for 30 years and it can be very inward looking. Just my opinion, genuinely no offence meant.
    Agree many of the town's people are insular but you suggested the club were in your post which I don't think it is .

Generally speaking the older generation are insular and this may stem from coming from mining stock the younger ones not so much .

Statistically we have one of the largest older fan support bases in the country according to something Patrick Cryne alluded to a few years back so you are probably right .

Its interesting you say that amimal I reckon we have a lot of oldies supporting us as well and I wonder if it is for similar reasons. Often on away matches I noted the number of oldies sat round me and there are certainly more elderly posters on here than young uns. The problem will come for our clubs when us old uns snuff it!

When I rewatched the wembers game the other day I noticed how much younger and clean cut the shrews fans were than the Rotherham fans. I suppose we are a bunch of owd rough arses here in S Yorks eh?
    Last edited by rolymiller; 12-06-2018 at 11:58 AM.

All the young uns are on the facebook forum roly. Its a thriving RUFC community over there but there are a few resident tools.

Aye I can imagine who one might be!

Lol, hmmm. The good thing about Fb is that its real names so less of the multis issue. But good old MM still has a place (when not overrun by miscreants)

Why Barnsley FC objected is beyond me. If Shaw lane had all these problems and a dick of a owner why would bfc be worried enough to object.
    Talk about the Billy big bowlax keeping the small fry down there

Yes I don't think he's lying when he said them and the council were being obstructive and unhelpful.

Had a few dealings with them myself and I would say them same although there's a new regime in place now.

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Why Barnsley FC objected is beyond me. If Shaw lane had all these problems and a dick of a owner why would bfc be worried enough to object.
    Talk about the Billy big bowlax keeping the small fry down there
    Just my opinion cayton but one shared by many tykes .

Nobody thought for one minute that Shaw Lane were a threat to BFC , they started with 150 fans and never grew much beyond those numbers , Athersley Rec have twice that support further down the pyramid .

Barnsley FC is a community club , our players have it written in to their contracts that they have to commit several hours a month to get out in the area and involve themselves .

The club does support local football clubs where it can , it enjoys significant links with a number of clubs Athersley included .

The Shaw Lane owner Craig Wood came through the pub doors swinging when he first came to light , he destroyed a very good club that gave his project a start , he took several players off Athersley Rec when they were putting a decent side together by simply throwing his cash around .

Now that's fair enough its his money to spend how he wants but that level of football will always lead to resentment if someone such as Wood starts playing the millionaire , it's just the way that level works .

There's little doubt he intended to take Shaw Lane all the way and in to the football league and if he'd have destroyed BFC in the process then so what , unlikely but he did have that mindset , this was his dream and club and as we have seen with Fleetwood Town , it can be done .

Absolutely no way were BFC going to help in on his way , Craig wanted to be a competitor not a partner , lets be clear .

He'd have thrown BFC under the bus just like he threw Baurgh FC and did serious harm to Athersley Rec if he had half the chance and it got Shaw Lane to where he wanted them .

Yes it was a wet dream but he put himself in that position and when the opportunity arose BFC put the brakes on him , nothing more than that .

He destoyed Shaw Lane and nobody else and if he couldn't have his way then he was shutting the whole project down and calling everyone who stood in his way anything from a pig to a dog ( see what I did there ) .

He couldn't see the flaws in his project , made too many enemies in this town and he's paid the price .
    Last edited by animallittle3; 12-06-2018 at 10:44 PM.

It didn't interest me in the slightest what Shaw Lane Fc got up to, but it shows how childish their owner is as he just had to have an open dig at us after our relegation. Aww didn't he get what he wanted from that nasty Burnsley team ?.

He could never have done a fleetwood animal as he simply didnt have the cash. It was an absolute pipe dream. He ran out money, he had cancer (now cured thankfully), hes bailed out. He'll be back watching that lot in blue & white dreaming up his next project.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast