+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: i've thought long and hard about this: Warne has got to go.

Well you know I never wanted him to be manager, yes he’s made mistakes and cost us points but do I still want him to be manager? I’m on the fence.
    Maybe he needs help from another experience ex-manager or maybe he just needs to listen to his staff.
    I thought he was getting more experience (well he obviously is) but he still makes the same mistakes nearly every game imo (even if it’s the players it’s still his job to tell them and sort them)

Does he know his best side? I wonder.

I want him to do well but he need to step up and use his brain more and not his heart, if the players aren’t good enough then try and replace them, we can’t afford to carry certain players no matter how good their attitude is , it’s about doing the job on the pitch and getting points.
    Last edited by millertop; 23-04-2019 at 10:00 AM.

At the beginning of the season there are 5 possible outcomes, you can win the league, get automatic promotion, get into the play offs, stay in the league or be relegated. We have achieved the very least we could have, there isn't anything worse than being relegated. Of course the deck was stacked against us somewhat but it was also stacked against Preston and Millwall and they have both achieved more. I looked at betting on Rotherham to stay up at the start of the season. We were second favourites after Bolton to go down but the best I was offered to stay up was 4/6, whereas the odds on going down were 6/4. The bookies thought that we had a 60% chance to stay up and a 40% chance of going down so all the nonsense about what a great achievement it is to still be in with a chance with 2 games to go is exactly that, nonsense. I would characterize Warne's managerial performance as average.
    I have mostly enjoyed the home games this season, we have generally competed and done okay but I feel for the regular away trippers. Every time I have been away the negative way of playing, to try and stay in the game for 70 minutes was soul destroying and it didn't even work!! We were simply not good enough defensively to play that way as we always had at least 1/2 mistakes in us that meant a containing policy wouldn't work. There are some excellent sides in the championship but there are at least as many mediocre ones and we failed to capitalize on that time after time.
    As for the lack of signings in January, we will never know but it is my understanding that there was money available for transfer fees and wages, Jamie Johnson had made his recommendations but Warne wanted players who followed his 'good human beings' mantra so as to not unsettle the squad dynamic. That conflict was never going to work, lets hope Warne can work better with Rob Scott (who I believe is by no means a good human being).
    I wouldn't get rid of Warne at this point but he will be under much more pressure next season. If Ajayi & Vaulks are sold for decent fees then we have a chance to get some young hungry replacements and add the much needed defensive coach to the mix which should leave us in good stead for a play off challenge. Don't be surprised though if Warne is gone after a poor start.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasterman View Post
    There is no question in my mind that Warne should be in charge next season - if he decides to stay. Nobody could have achieved more with what he had to work with, and most would have achieved a lot less. Those calling for a different style of football are unrealistic. As Stubbs found out, try to play fancy football with players that aren't up to it is a recipe for disaster. Warne has done the best with what we had but fallen short because of a lack of resources. Lack of signings in the window was disappointing but Ipswich (to name but one) started our game at their place with five new players and look where they ended up. The one he did bring in (Crookes) has been a big success. There's no point in signing crap, just for the sake of it. To compete in this league, you need money and it just isn't there. Barring a miracle, it never will be.

I think we've got a solid foundation for a competitive League One team - even if Vaulks and Ajayi move one. We're cerrtainly better placed than when we went down last time and look how that ended up.
    Exactly my view of the position (other views are available - obviously)

One thing I would change - I think it would be wise for Warney to stop banging on about the good human being stuff.
    Not that I disagree with a "no bad apples" policy. I think it's common sense. When Warney was featured on Sky Sports because of this "revolutionary" approach other managers said that they didn't really see what the fuss was about and that most clubs had the same approach. Unfortunately PW has gone a little overboard with it and the media have hyped it up.
    I suppose it gives posters another thing to moan about and the opportunity to dust off the "green tea", "barbeque" and "good human beings" quips (you can never have too much of them - apparently)
    I am not sure who these game changing, season saving bad lads are - who we could have signed but didn't because of this policy.

This is the same fitness coach that got us promoted first time of asking from the league that SUFC took 6 years to get out of, and almost (might still), kept us in championship.
    So yeah....sack the bugger.

Having a long term plan for the club which is based on stabilty has been crucial to where we are today.

I mentioned in another thread that the financial position of the club is the one that is determining the direction that we should go. We simply can't compete with other clubs at this level financially simply because we as a club don't generate any other income than has been logged with companies house.

We can't have 25 players on 10k per week because we can't afford them. This is the reason why, regardless of who replaces Warne if he was to be releaved of his duties would be left in the same position as we are now and that is trying to get some lower league players to play like Championship players.

There is a reason we are where we are in the league and that is simply down to finance. It's already been said that Warne has got the best out of the players some of which he probably wouldn't have signed himself.

What we must not forget is where we are now to where we were only just a cuple of seasons ago.

It is ok wanting to see the back of someone because of a relegation season but behind the sceens it is a different club now to what we had. We don't have 5 people employed to look at stats on our oponents but where we had none we now have at least one who is linked up and communicates with the coaching staff even during matches.
    We didn't have a bloody changing room at the training ground or any other facilities that we could at least be proud of but now we have a new set up.
    We didn't have a scouting network to talk of before and the only thing that we were told was about a fella down in Brighton with an expensive computer system that threw up a few gems but clearly not enough. Now we have 2 new employees tasked to make things better.
    Even if it did other teams have the same system with more money to pay those gems.
    We have for the first time in a long time brough through a youth player who is good enough for the Championship. We have brought players on to play at this level who we would't have thought could. Our position isn't as bad as it was and we don't turn over players and waste money like we used to.

This club has come a long way in the last couple of years and we've done it on the back of a promotion so ask yourselves if the money that was available was to be used soley on players what type of club would we be?

What would sell the club to another manager from anywhere in the world other than a load of money to get him and a team here.

In my opinion we can't blame Warne for what has gone on or for the relegation. There are a lot of things going on at the club that he has done and he needs to be kept here to contiue and finish the structure of a club that on the surface looks ok but behind the sceens is improving beyond all recognition to what it was.

I can't agree with showing Warne the door because he's good for the club as a whole and not just for the role people asociate him with.

This last week has hit us all hard and it hurts just like any other season that we've struggled but it's not over! Miracles can happen regardless of how unlikely but if we go down we can't serously change things too much. We don't know which players will stay or how much money the budget will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Townerslovechild View Post
    This is the same fitness coach that got us promoted first time of asking from the league that SUFC took 6 years to get out of, and almost (might still), kept us in championship.
    So yeah....sack the bugger.
    TLC, you’re only as good as your last performance and this season by Warne has been a failure at times with his team selections/ tactics etc, however, for me he deserves another crack at it next season but he needs to alter a few mentalities/traits if he wants to deliver a different brand of football next season.

Make no bones about it, the knives will be well and truly sharpened if we aren’t up with the leading pack come the Xmas period and rightly so.

There are two choices.

The cautious safer route of Stewart, Warne and frugal spending

Or Stewart, A N Other and speculative splashing of the cash.

I suspect the first choice will win.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    There are two choices.

The cautious safer route of Stewart, Warne and frugal spending

Or Stewart, A N Other and speculative splashing of the cash.

I suspect the first choice will win.
    The thing is people go on about how we can’t compete with money and how tony needs to bring out his wallet in transfer window, but what people forget is that money has to come from us

Quote Originally Posted by Silly-miller View Post
    The thing is people go on about how we can’t compete with money and how tony needs to bring out his wallet in transfer window, but what people forget is that money has to come from us
    Correct. Unfortunately there are some very frustrating fundamentals at play that make it nigh on impossible for us to progress;

1. Cheating - financial fair play otherwise - is still too much of an attraction. The financial rewards are massive, the punishments for cheating should be likewise. Unfortunately, the EFL seem unwilling to stamp it out but until they do, "tight run ships" like RUFC are massively disadvantaged from the off. We could try to increase our fan base, and in a working class town of over 300,000 inhabitants we ought to be getting bigger home gates. Unfortunately we don't because of.......

2. "Wannabe Dee Dahs" from Rotherham. Is there another town in the country that suffers as much as us from it's born and bred inhabitants regularly watching other "bigger" clubs on the doorstep? I bet there's probably more regular footy fans go to Bramall Lane or Swillsborough every other Saturday than attend NYS? I'm sick to death of educating wannabe dee dahs from Aston or Dinnington that they actually live in the County Borough of Rotherham, not bloody Sheffield!

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    Having a long term plan for the club which is based on stabilty has been crucial to where we are today.

I mentioned in another thread that the financial position of the club is the one that is determining the direction that we should go. We simply can't compete with other clubs at this level financially simply because we as a club don't generate any other income than has been logged with companies house.

We can't have 25 players on 10k per week because we can't afford them. This is the reason why, regardless of who replaces Warne if he was to be releaved of his duties would be left in the same position as we are now and that is trying to get some lower league players to play like Championship players.

There is a reason we are where we are in the league and that is simply down to finance. It's already been said that Warne has got the best out of the players some of which he probably wouldn't have signed himself.

What we must not forget is where we are now to where we were only just a cuple of seasons ago.

It is ok wanting to see the back of someone because of a relegation season but behind the sceens it is a different club now to what we had. We don't have 5 people employed to look at stats on our oponents but where we had none we now have at least one who is linked up and communicates with the coaching staff even during matches.
    We didn't have a bloody changing room at the training ground or any other facilities that we could at least be proud of but now we have a new set up.
    We didn't have a scouting network to talk of before and the only thing that we were told was about a fella down in Brighton with an expensive computer system that threw up a few gems but clearly not enough. Now we have 2 new employees tasked to make things better.
    Even if it did other teams have the same system with more money to pay those gems.
    We have for the first time in a long time brough through a youth player who is good enough for the Championship. We have brought players on to play at this level who we would't have thought could. Our position isn't as bad as it was and we don't turn over players and waste money like we used to.

This club has come a long way in the last couple of years and we've done it on the back of a promotion so ask yourselves if the money that was available was to be used soley on players what type of club would we be?

What would sell the club to another manager from anywhere in the world other than a load of money to get him and a team here.

In my opinion we can't blame Warne for what has gone on or for the relegation. There are a lot of things going on at the club that he has done and he needs to be kept here to contiue and finish the structure of a club that on the surface looks ok but behind the sceens is improving beyond all recognition to what it was.

I can't agree with showing Warne the door because he's good for the club as a whole and not just for the role people asociate him with.

This last week has hit us all hard and it hurts just like any other season that we've struggled but it's not over! Miracles can happen regardless of how unlikely but if we go down we can't serously change things too much. We don't know which players will stay or how much money the budget will be.
    My worry would be how long can or will TS be prepared to subsidise my hobby at a club that is running at a loss season on season.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast