+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: OT What Made You Smile Today?

[QUOTE=mistaram;39491355]
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I'm in a number of rock-centric facebook groups, one of which is running a 'top 50 debut albums' poll. Someone brought up the subject of my top pick Van Halen 1, and the subsequent 'discussion' has resembled 100 Swales and 100 TTR's spatting after a night on the pop...

Of your picks, all class stuff IMO, 'Shades' won't feature, 'ITCOTCK' will be top ten and LZ1 may come top, unless we have the usual Nirvana posse with multiple accounts.

For what its worth, my picks were Van Halen 1, Montrose 1, Black Sabbath 1, Budgie 1 and Free Tons Of Sobs. The rules allowed a 'wild card' pick and my choice of ABC's Lexicon Of Love nearly got me banned from the group...

I think DCFC Mad is a safe haven in comparison[/QUOTE

Nevermind. Andy great album only joking
    thats the one

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    nobody could play like Duane
    Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    I played rhythm guitar in the early sixties, something I thoroughly enjoyed!
    Three of us had never played an instrument before and were joined by another lad who was an excellent player. He taught myself and the bass player and helped our fourth member to play the drums. He was quite good on the piano and could also play the trumpet! Somewhat musically gifted!!
    We eventually played local pubs and clubs and did quite well playing a lot of Shadows stuff with the odd song mixed in.
    Around the time the Byrd's were in the charts with Mr Tambourine Man we went to Southsea on holiday which was a real booze up!! We never played together again after that because, on our return to Derby, the drummer found out his girlfriend was pregnant so they got married and the bass player joined the police force where he had a long and successful career. In the meantime our gifted lead opted to move to London to further his musical development. I never saw him again but his mam said he was doing some session work to pay for further studies. God knows where he is now or even if he is still alive. Sadly, both the drummer and bass player have passed away.
    I never played again until a few years ago but I had apparently developed five thumbs on each hand, at least that's what it felt like so I have not bothered again. Give it a go rA, it can be very satisfying!
    I might mac. They say you’re never too old to learn...I’m not so sure, but with a cancelled holiday and numerous other cancelled trips and visits I have a bit of cash to spare. We’ll see.

You mention the Byrds. One of the most influential bands ever imo. Saw them at a festival in Lincoln in 1971, again at Newcastle City Hall a few years later and went with my youngest son - who can play the guitar - to see Roger McGuinn at Stoke (how the mighty are fallen!) about twelve years ago.

If we ever start a thread on favourite ten or twenty albums I’d have to have at least one Byrd’s album in there...probably ‘Untitled’...can still remember the excitement of opening up that ‘gatefold’ and playing it for the first time. To return to the topic...that memory has made me smile.

[QUOTE=Andy_Faber;39491454]
    Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post

thats the one
    You can't beat a bit of grunge 😂

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    I played rhythm guitar in the early sixties, something I thoroughly enjoyed!
    Three of us had never played an instrument before and were joined by another lad who was an excellent player. He taught myself and the bass player and helped our fourth member to play the drums. He was quite good on the piano and could also play the trumpet! Somewhat musically gifted!!
    We eventually played local pubs and clubs and did quite well playing a lot of Shadows stuff with the odd song mixed in.
    Around the time the Byrd's were in the charts with Mr Tambourine Man we went to Southsea on holiday which was a real booze up!! We never played together again after that because, on our return to Derby, the drummer found out his girlfriend was pregnant so they got married and the bass player joined the police force where he had a long and successful career. In the meantime our gifted lead opted to move to London to further his musical development. I never saw him again but his mam said he was doing some session work to pay for further studies. God knows where he is now or even if he is still alive. Sadly, both the drummer and bass player have passed away.
    I never played again until a few years ago but I had apparently developed five thumbs on each hand, at least that's what it felt like so I have not bothered again. Give it a go rA, it can be very satisfying!
    Great story! 5 thumbs? Take it you've been living in Notts for a while?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I might mac. They say you’re never too old to learn...I’m not so sure, but with a cancelled holiday and numerous other cancelled trips and visits I have a bit of cash to spare. We’ll see.

You mention the Byrds. One of the most influential bands ever imo. Saw them at a festival in Lincoln in 1971, again at Newcastle City Hall a few years later and went with my youngest son - who can play the guitar - to see Roger McGuinn at Stoke (how the mighty are fallen!) about twelve years ago.

If we ever start a thread on favourite ten or twenty albums I’d have to have at least one Byrd’s album in there...probably ‘Untitled’...can still remember the excitement of opening up that ‘gatefold’ and playing it for the first time. To return to the topic...that memory has made me smile.
    Not normally into nostalgia but this thread sparked a few memories!
    I notice that you have an excellent repertoire of musical likes, from the master Leonard Cohen, through the Beatles and onto The Byrds et al! The Byrd's remain one of my great faves hence how I associate them with that unforgettable week in Southsea! Get that guitar bought, you won't regret it!.

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    Great story! 5 thumbs? Take it you've been living in Notts for a while?
    Lol. Sensibly I keep well away from anything Notts, unfortunately arthritis has to be blamed as the real culprit!

I had to smile this afternoon in driving back from Wakefield to Derby just coming up to DenbyDale on A636 it's not to busy but suddenly there are five or six cars slowing right down ,
    . Then I saw the problem two old guys on a tandem full army uniform including medals ,union jacks everywhere bless them

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    I had to smile this afternoon in driving back from Wakefield to Derby just coming up to DenbyDale on A636 it's not to busy but suddenly there are five or six cars slowing right down ,
    . Then I saw the problem two old guys on a tandem full army uniform including medals ,union jacks everywhere bless them
    Fantastic

Cooking tip from.......

.... Boris Johnson.

Put the chicken in the fridge at gas mark 5 for 20 MPH.

Golf clubs reopening tomorrow

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)