+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Goodwin.

I would love to go into a pre-season without a new managerial appointment to be quite honest

in Goodwin we trust (if he will stay that is)

Quote Originally Posted by Stoke_Arab View Post
    This is true but I never liked Neilson or his style from day 1. I've always said he's very average unless he has a budget to out spend the immediate competition.
    I will never forget that fist pump he made at end of extra time in play off final against 10 man St Mirren after an appalling performance. He though he had penalties in the bag. The following season he got us promoted for one reason, the board decided to gamble and splash out on Shankland.

I think we are needing a complete overhaul of the team, and JG is currently the man that is getting to see what is required. Going into a pre season with a manager that knows what is needed is massive compared to a brand new out the wrapper boss. For once, we need to get our business done early...instead of waiting until the end of the window. The number of players required, is going to take a while to gel and even then, there are going to be gaps. We will be working with 2 budgets as well, one for survival and one for relegation...that means differing transfer options. Whoever the next manager is, will need to be doing their homework right now to give us a chance of being semi decent next year. Jim Goodwin is the obvious choice..but whoever it is, they will have a massive job sorting this mess out!

This all day long. Also have to take into consideration the fact that he is working with an imbalanced and limited squad. Not many cld have come in and done this.

As far as experience and knowledge of the game goes. I can’t think of any other candidates out there of this standard. Wld also be good to go into pre season with a settled manager who will know what is required for next season.

I seriously doubt we can do better. He knows the club, the players, he's experienced in the SPL, knows what's required in Scottish football, is getting results so far and that's a big advantage over appointing a different candidate.
    If there was a talented emerging coach who's worked miracles in the Championship, well maybe in the future although I don't see one now. Maybe Ian Murray is one to watch.

But all told I think you have to put playing likes and dislikes to one side when considering Goodwin. Could we do better, tbh I doubt it.
    Meant to attach this 🙈

Quote Originally Posted by Arabknight View Post
    Meant to attach this 🙈
    Stands fine on it's own 😎
    I've never disliked the guy, unlike most of our support, and if he keeps us up wow, some job.

Stands fine on it's own 😎 if he keeps us up wow, some job.
    Have been really surprised by the tune he's managed to conjure up from a group who looked utterly tone deaf to the promptings of the previous incumbents and if it continues then we should be going out of our way to tie him down for next season as well

We can't get carried away, could still end up back at Fir Park and get relegated there

I like what I heard from JG so far and we do need to have a consistent time with one manager, if he keeps us up then he has to be favourite

Papers reporting 2 English league 1 clubs keen to open talks with JG. JG has seemingly told them that he is nit interested in any talks while we are battling for our survival.

Said it before I wld have gave him a contract by now. Hopefully at the very least we have opened talks regarding him taking on the role in a more permanent basis l. Regardless of where we are playing next season. If he keeps us up I have no doubt there will be other suitors at the door.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Arabknight View Post
    Papers reporting 2 English league 1 clubs keen to open talks with JG. JG has seemingly told them that he is nit interested in any talks while we are battling for our survival.

Said it before I wld have gave him a contract by now. Hopefully at the very least we have opened talks regarding him taking on the role in a more permanent basis l. Regardless of where we are playing next season. If he keeps us up I have no doubt there will be other suitors at the door.
    That is a VERY good point.

I mentioned earlier , that we should wait and see how things turn out before offering any contract. What I didn't think about was, as you mentioned, there will be a good few clubs I would think now looking at him considering the massive change he has made with us in such a short time.

Not being interested in talks at the moment is the correct thing to say. What I am worried about now (coz oh you) is......if we don't offer him something, and the dosh or futba level might be better , he might move on.

He might actually be saying the same thing to us, yi never know.

All I do know is.... he is DEFO the man for the job, right here, right now, (nae sang please)
    For now........ he's the Gaffer.

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)